Gas Home or All-Electric?

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2019, 08:59 AM
Default Gas Home or All-Electric?

My wife and I have visited The Villages this past February, coming again this June and and again Feb (2020) and are planning to move there sometime in Summer of 2020. My wife is totally hooked on gas stoves and clothes dryer and I prefer a gas furnace. We both have lived in a total electric home in the past and didn't like it.

How many of you have gas service in your homes and how do you like it?

Thanks in advance.

Frank Thompson
Old 05-08-2019, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbfrank View Post
My wife and I have visited The Villages this past February, coming again this June and and again Feb (2020) and are planning to move there sometime in Summer of 2020. My wife is totally hooked on gas stoves and clothes dryer and I prefer a gas furnace. We both have lived in a total electric home in the past and didn't like it.

How many of you have gas service in your homes and how do you like it?

Thanks in advance.

Frank Thompson
We moved to an area which is all-electric. Other than occasionally missing a gas cooktop, it's not a big deal either way.

And don't worry about a gas furnace here

Last edited by photo1902; 05-08-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:20 AM

In TN with have mostly electric with gas heat. In Fenney, we have mostly gas. We have really enjoyed having mostly gas home in Fenney.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:36 AM

My wife is totally hooked on gas stoves and clothes dryer and I prefer a gas furnace.

Homes in The Villages do not have a furnace. You have A/C which doubles as a heat pump. Its electric. Some areas have gas for other appliances.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Gas, love it. Have had both, prefer gas for cooking. During the power outage last Sunday I was able to cook with my gas stove!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-08-2019, 10:37 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

We have gas for the stove and dryer and if you are planning on buying south of 44 I believe all of the villages down here have it. You really don't need it for heating as you will seldom use your furnace and all of the spec homes have electric heat. You can also buy a natural gas grill and won't have to mess with propane tanks. Gas was definitely one of the selling features when we purchased our home in Fenney.'
Old 05-08-2019, 10:52 AM

We have gas for everything but cooking.I prefer electric for that because it's cleaner.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We're all Electric IF my power goes out I'll use my Gas BBQ. Other then that I don't want or like gas. Had Electric on Long Island also.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:57 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages View Post
My wife is totally hooked on gas stoves and clothes dryer and I prefer a gas furnace.

Homes in The Villages do not have a furnace. You have A/C which doubles as a heat pump. Its electric. Some areas have gas for other appliances.
My home has a gas furnace, gas stove, gas dryer and gas water heater, and AC is electric!
Very economical to operate, since gas is relatively inexpensive in TV.
We had some very cold mornings this past January and February,
and I really appreciated the warmth provided by the gas furnace.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Village of LaZamora is gas or electric, we also prefer gas stove and dryer. It's a matter of what you prefer.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster View Post
My home has a gas furnace, gas stove, gas dryer and gas water heater, and AC is electric!
Very economical to operate, since gas is relatively inexpensive in TV.
We had some very cold mornings this past January and February,
and I really appreciated the warmth provided by the gas furnace.
We have electric heating, and we most certainly do use it in the winter. We have always had a gas furnace, and I find the electric heating to be so drying it causes me nosebleeds. We always had a central humidifier on our gas furnaces, and I certainly miss it. Plus the electric heating just doesn't seem to warm the place consistently. There are cold spots in both houses we've had in TV.

Aside from heating, I much prefer gas cooking. In our last home in Michigan we had a JennAir stove that was a gas cooktop and two electric ovens, one small and one large--all one unit. Man did I love that stove.

But we chose both houses for the location and are very happy with that aspect. So we just deal with the electric. However, had I known how much I would not like electric dry heat and no gas stove, I might have given up the idea of a new house and gone for an area with gas.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Do you care what your utilities will cost? If you go gas you will have a monthly bill for the availability of gas if you use it or not.
You might look at the cost of solar electric for the house and go all electric. I have gas heat so I do not know how well electric baseboard heat would work but my guess is it will be easer to get the correct room tempeture than gas hot air.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:26 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Do you care what your utilities will cost? If you go gas you will have a monthly bill for the availability of gas if you use it or not.
You might look at the cost of solar electric for the house and go all electric. I have gas heat so I do not know how well electric baseboard heat would work but my guess is it will be easer to get the correct room tempeture than gas hot air.
The newer gas furnaces can be had with variable speed air handling capabilities and they run very quietly.
Plus you can adjust blower speed and cycling when air conditioning.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:58 PM
Veteran member

We have gas water heater, furnace, dryer and range. Love having gas and would be hard pressed to ever go back to all electric. We are north of 466 where gas is available - don't think that is the case in the southern villages.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:21 PM

We had a heat pump and electric stove up north and the heat pump was not a match for the cold winters and high electric costs. So this was a concern in moving to TV

Here in TV the heat pump works very well for the short mild cold days and the costs are low. The electric range is easy to clean since its a glass top. If you grew up with gas then you probably will prefer gas and if I ever live up north again I would only go with gas.
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, past, home, wife, furnace

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.