Golfers, please do your patriotic duty...stay home!

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2020, 09:56 AM
Default Golfers, please do your patriotic duty...stay home!

So you think because you live in The Villages and have access to free golf that you need to be out on the courses playing every day? Has anyone told you that there is a deadly pandemic racing across America with many critical cases in Florida, including Marion, Lake and Sumter counties?

How about showing respect for the rest of us who have committed ourselves to staying in our homes to help end this pandemic. Those of us who were daily swimmers and/or enjoyed thousands of recreational activities? The rest of us have shut our lives down to stop the spread. We have sacrificed.

Golfers, do your patriotic duty. Go home and stay home.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:55 AM
Sage

If a couple goes out and plays by themselves and they get near nobody, I’m not sure I see the problem.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
If a couple goes out and plays by themselves and they get near nobody, I’m not sure I see the problem.
Same is true of any golf group that maintains social distancing and doesn't touch anything that isn't theirs. There seems to be a subset, hopefully small, that feels if they can't go play bunco at a rec center, then nobody else should do what they enjoy.
To them, they have 2 choices
1) take up golf
2) Play (bunco) with themselves
Old 03-26-2020, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

I passed a foursome outside at their table playing cards an hour ago. They were around 3 feet away from each other, which is probably fine considering that they're probably years-long neighbors and friends and they're probably either all four exposed to it, or all four not exposed, by now.

No one is suggesting we isolate ourselves inside our homes and not go out for the next few months. If you want to do that, great. If you're sick and feel it's best for everyone else, awesome. Immunocompromised? I get it.

But if you're otherwise healthy, there's no reason why you can't leave your home, get some fresh air and a walk, and interact (at a reasonable distance) with your friends, neighbors, and even golf partners.

The problem with pools isn't just people being IN the pool, which could easily be limited by having swim lanes (a la sports pools). It's people hanging out AT the pool on the lounge chairs in close proximity to each other.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

My husband and I golf together, don’t get close to anyone else, and it falls within all the CDC guidelines of physical distance from others. I don’t see what the problem is.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:54 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

After tomorrow's golf I'm heeding the advice and lock myself in the walk in cliset and not come out until I get the authentification code acknowedged from Zaldar,supreme leader.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:11 PM

Passed by Hill Top Executive GC yesterday on the way home from the supermarket around 3PM.
A group (8 Players of so) of golfers waiting at the end of the 9th hole. (not even 4 foot apart) I guess waiting for the rest of the groups.
Guarantee if management would of seen that I'm sure they would of close golfing...
Old 03-26-2020, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I passed a foursome outside at their table playing cards an hour ago. They were around 3 feet away from each other, which is probably fine considering that they're probably years-long neighbors and friends and they're probably either all four exposed to it, or all four not exposed, by now.

No one is suggesting we isolate ourselves inside our homes and not go out for the next few months. If you want to do that, great. If you're sick and feel it's best for everyone else, awesome. Immunocompromised? I get it.

But if you're otherwise healthy, there's no reason why you can't leave your home, get some fresh air and a walk, and interact (at a reasonable distance) with your friends, neighbors, and even golf partners.

The problem with pools isn't just people being IN the pool, which could easily be limited by having swim lanes (a la sports pools). It's people hanging out AT the pool on the lounge chairs in close proximity to each other.
Playing cards seems like a reasonable way to pass a virus...…………………...
Old 03-26-2020, 12:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Playing cards seems like a reasonable way to pass a virus...…………………...
As I said - it's likely that all four of them either have been exposed to the virus, or haven't been exposed to the virus by now. So it really wouldn't matter much. Sort of like couples who live together and do activities together all the time. If one of them was exposed, chances are both of them were exposed.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:43 PM
Veteran member

Yes, please, stay away. The courses are too crowded and I really enjoy playing alone.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:46 PM

The difference between four of them being infected and just one of them is not three. Its the difference between how many others will be infected by 1 vs. 4. It’s a world of difference.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerslife View Post
So you think because you live in The Villages and have access to free golf that you need to be out on the courses playing every day?...
I'm playing Cane Garden tomorrow and it's not free, it's $64. In My group everyone is riding in their own carts and the course is 7 minutes from my house. A little fresh air and exercise is good since MVP has been closed for two weeks.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerslife View Post
So you think because you live in The Villages and have access to free golf that you need to be out on the courses playing every day? Has anyone told you that there is a deadly pandemic racing across America with many critical cases in Florida, including Marion, Lake and Sumter counties?

How about showing respect for the rest of us who have committed ourselves to staying in our homes to help end this pandemic. Those of us who were daily swimmers and/or enjoyed thousands of recreational activities? The rest of us have shut our lives down to stop the spread. We have sacrificed.

Golfers, do your patriotic duty. Go home and stay home.
Yes I do think I can golf. Patriotism, what do you know of that? Fly the flag in your yard, pay your taxes...I would have loved to have you next to me the last time I literally walked though a minefield.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

I look at it a little differently.

I have had grandchildren ask me, with the stay at home order am I still playing golf?

Going to CC for a drink afterwards.

I am obligated to set the example for the younger folks. Show that I am heeding the guidelines and actions recommended to take to help curtail the virus spread.
I cannot rationalize to them why it is OK for various reasons (that might make sense to a lot of us).....

Being way.....WAY over 65....I will not be playing golf until the over 65 stay at home order is terminated.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:56 PM

I'm not a big golfer but others playing is not bothering me. I'm closer to dozens more people for a longer period of time when I go to the grocery store and nobody is saying we shouldn't shop for food...yet.

The golf holes have been removed from the golf courses and have been replaced with pvc tubing to avoid having to remove your ball from the cup. You're either riding by yourself or with your spouse and are around the same 1-3 folks the entire time.
With a little diligence you won't get closer than 10 feet to your playing partners.

You can complain about the random group that doesn't follow the social distancing rules but those are likely the same people exhibiting similar behaviors everywhere they go.
Closed Thread

Tags
home, golfers, pandemic, rest, duty

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.