Question For Hobby Level Musicians Living in TV

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2020, 07:06 AM
Default Question For Hobby Level Musicians Living in TV

My wife and I are planning a visit this November, with any eye to possbily relocating to TV, My main hobby is guitar playing, something I started doing after I retired. Are there any specific groups that get together to play, in an informal setting, just for folks who like to share music with others. It can get boring and repetitive just practicing and learning songs by yourself. Any info or responses would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:35 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycler View Post
My wife and I are planning a visit this November, with any eye to possbily relocating to TV, My main hobby is guitar playing, something I started doing after I retired. Are there any specific groups that get together to play, in an informal setting, just for folks who like to share music with others. It can get boring and repetitive just practicing and learning songs by yourself. Any info or responses would be appreciated, thanks.
So You Want to be a Rock and Roll Star.
The Byrds - So You Want To Be A Rock 'n' Roll Star (1967) - YouTube
Not a player just a listener.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:40 AM
Sage

I’d be interested in this too. It’s a casual hobby for me and provides a lot of pleasure.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:09 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Here is a previous post conversation on TOV
List of Music Clubs?
Old 10-16-2020, 09:35 AM
John41

I am also a hobby guitar player, electric solid body only. There are several guitar groups here , two acoustic and one electric. There are other groups that have a variety of instruments, mostly acoustic. There are various skill levels beginner to advanced. The learning center might also have a guitar course. Some residents join together to form a performance group to play at social club events. Bonds music in Wildwood sell guitars and other instruments. I am going to sell the one acoustic guitar I have on the classified section in a few weeks.

Last edited by John41; 10-16-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:51 AM

Someone told me the ukulele club also has guitar players in it.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:58 AM

There are at least four guitar clubs that meet in the rec. centers. You can find a list on line or in the Thursday newspaper supplement.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:56 AM

Yes there are several groups where you can join in check out the recreation sch
Old 10-17-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
I am possibly interested - which Village will you be moving to potentially?
Old 10-17-2020, 06:13 AM

Our application for The Village Rockers was submitted to the Villages Recreation Department the middle of February 2020.

The COVID-19 epidemic has delayed issuance of new club charters.

Keep a watch on Thursday's supplement to the Vlllages Daily Sun newspaper. On the inside cover will be a listing of new clubs, soliciting responses. Historically, this is how "Rec" determines the viability of new clubs, by the number of responses.

To date, we have had over 200 responses from musicians, singers and those with a love for that genre of music.

Folks keep finding us from posts on TOTV and word of mouth.
The Village Rockers is now forming. Stay "tuned" for further details about this new club for musicians, singers and spectators. Send us your name and email address. We will put you on our email list for news, updates, meeting times and playdates.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
There are several, Just check the Recreation News. Most are not operating a full capacity so I can't tell you if you'll be able to participate tight away.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Once in awhile I take my guitar out onto the lanai to futz around, if anyone sees me and gets inspired they're always welcome to get their instrument and join me. I can accommodate 3 other people with the 6' guideline, and I wouldn't "require" masks on my fully-screened lanai since I consider it outdoors with fresh air.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:04 AM
Veteran member

Cycler, I share your interest in hobby musicianship and I can say the Villages will fulfill your wishes beyond your wildest dreams. The multiple music clubs (and three daily free concerts in the squares) are the main reasons I moved to the Villages. I am wildly impressed at how Villagers seem to be so very fond of music, and that facts makes me feel at home.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
There are a LOT more music groups or clubs than the ones others have mentioned, but you will have to search carefully for them. Here is the current list of approved clubs:

https://www.districtgov.org/images/ClubsListing.pdf

They claim 2500, I think my estimate was more like 1700. My recollection is that there are a couple symphonies of sorts, at different levels. If you play violin or something like that, give it a try. There is a concert band, I think, if you were in band in high school. There are at least two jazz ensembles, one quite good and one more relaxed. There are bands for folk, country, rock, Latin, uke, bluegrass, hymns, gospel, and more. I think there is even a banjo club. Some are small or not open to others, and some are wide open.

There are probably also smaller groups of friends who get together on there own. After all, some of us go crazy in a group of thirty guitar players who each want to solo for a chorus on each song. Are there any string quartets? I don’t know, but that would be nice. I was hoping for some people who like to play Brazilian Choro and Bossa Nova, as I really enjoy playing those. Or how about Gypsy Swing? Or the Great American Songbook? I love those.

Search the list. Remember to go all the way through. (I actually did, and I now have a notebook of a hundred groups of various sorts I’d like to explore. Most I may not like, but so what?) Some you may not have thought of may spark your imagination.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terenceanne View Post
I am possibly interested - which Village will you be moving to potentially?
As this will be our first trip to the Villages, we have no idea where or if we will purchasing a home. However, I will bookmark this thread and if we do wind up in TV, I'll know who to contact. Thanks, Cycler
Closed Thread

Tags
hobby, share, music, question, folks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.