Long distance moving company

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2021, 12:47 PM
Veteran member

We would bring our Honda CRV packed to the gills every time we drove down from NJ. I also bought a hitch and a Curt 2'x4' rack on which we hauled smelly stuff, like the leaf blower, Pellet smoker, etc. When it came time to empty the house, we did a 2 day driveway sale, numerous trips to the dump and finally packed got a 16' PODS pod.

I used probably 2 dozen ratchet straps, lots of blankets strapped everything in. We were staging the house for sale, so I half filled the pod and it sat there for about a month, slowly re-arranging and filling up. When the house sold, everything else went into the pod or got dumped. Took about 3 hours to unload.

The only other thing I'll mention, a guy down the street used an ABF trailer. While it may have been cheaper, I saw him huffing and puffing going up and down the ramp all day. The pod is about a 5 inch step up, no risk of falling off and not having heat stroke going up and down a ramp all day is a bonus.

For me, the math to use a pod washed about even. All in, the pod was about $3400 for the nearly two months. A Uhaul truck NJ to TV was going to be $2700, plus probably $300 in fuel, plus a $150 for a hotel and food plus $250 for a flight back AND I'd have to go up and down a ramp loading and unloading. Not to mention the sheer annoyance of driving those garbage Uhaul trucks. Got to drive our own vehicle down with the dog, the pod dropped right at the garage, right on time.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:59 PM

We used The Villages Relocation Service 15 years ago. If they are still around, I highly recommend them. Check with the Sales Department.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:18 PM

My husband just left from northern Wisconsin for The Villages with the 1st load in a 5×10 UHaul pull behind trailer.
I love my real wood pieces of furniture and my vintage antiques collected with alot of history behind those pieces. There was 5 pieces of furniture and 12 totes loaded in tight, but we got it.
Not a big fan of downsizing because your older, or decorating a home Florida style and design. Everybody down there does that, nothing different to look at or to even peak your interest when you walk into a home.
My Mahogany wood pieces will shine against our dark wood floor there, as well as my antiques tastefully distributed thruout.
Too many people sell everything they own to move then regret that decision a year down the road when they think about the life they left behind...
We expect 1 more UHaul 5×10 trailer to go down there in September for the final move. All up around $1,100, not bad considering we had several outrageous moving quotes I would not of even considered.
We sold alot to move but not everything, if you enjoy your things keep them and make it work.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:01 PM

You will be quoted what appears to be a low and reasonable moving cost. However, you will be charged a lot more upon arrival due to individual state taxes and state weight requirements for the truck. Send what you can through UPS, give the rest to the kids, sell what's left, and buy everything else new in Florida. Starting new in Florida is like being Newlyweds all over again! It's a blast!
Old 07-27-2021, 09:53 PM
Veteran member

My neighbor just moved last month from TV to Massachusetts. She rented a POD (cannot remember if a 12’ or a 16’). She paid a company to pack the POD, then paid another company on the MA end to unpack and set everything up. Total cost of the move (including the POD): $3,200
Old 07-28-2021, 01:17 AM

I found the same prices coming from the West Coast. During May/June the Uhaul lots were very empty. All the trucks and trailers were in Florida and Texas. I couldn't afford even a truck so I'm renting a 6x12 enclosed trailer. Hope is works ok towing. I have solid Amish furniture I'm bringing and Artwork I've collected over the years. The cheap furniture I'm leaving behind. Only the items I've admired is coming with me. I reserve patio furniture and easier to buy furniture to get after moving in. Seems like Home Depot, Lowers, Costco, Biglots, Homegoods etc. are perfect for those items. Good luck with your move and wish probably thousands more like me luck moving to Florida. I'm leaving California probably for good. Its a homeless, 3rd world mess in many places now.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:38 PM

How did you know what would fit into your 16’ POD?
Old 08-01-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubieland View Post
You will be quoted what appears to be a low and reasonable moving cost. However, you will be charged a lot more upon arrival due to individual state taxes and state weight requirements for the truck. Send what you can through UPS, give the rest to the kids, sell what's left, and buy everything else new in Florida. Starting new in Florida is like being Newlyweds all over again! It's a blast!

Another choice is Fastenal. They will ship store to store, you must put it on a pallet but they will band and wrap at the store if you slide them a 20.
Super easy and price is cheaper than anyone else if its more than a normal box. You do it all on line and then take your stuff in.

There is one in Ocala and one in Leesburg.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisport View Post
I found the same prices coming from the West Coast. During May/June the Uhaul lots were very empty. All the trucks and trailers were in Florida and Texas. I couldn't afford even a truck so I'm renting a 6x12 enclosed trailer. Hope is works ok towing. I have solid Amish furniture I'm bringing and Artwork I've collected over the years. The cheap furniture I'm leaving behind. Only the items I've admired is coming with me. I reserve patio furniture and easier to buy furniture to get after moving in. Seems like Home Depot, Lowers, Costco, Biglots, Homegoods etc. are perfect for those items. Good luck with your move and wish probably thousands more like me luck moving to Florida. I'm leaving California probably for good. Its a homeless, 3rd world mess in many places now.
I moved here from California, too. Not many make the long trek from the Golden State to the Sunshine State! I'm currently in the Villages renting until I can have my belongings shipped out here. I got two U-Haul containers and had my family and professional movers pack them and they're still in storage in CA. With increased gas prices, I dread getting their quote.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:47 PM
Default The Village Mover (Black Truck with white lettering)

We recently moved from The Villages back to New England. Did lots of research on movers, finally decided on The Village Mover. They are expensive, and they ruined nearly every piece of furniture they touched. I would not recommend them to anyone. If I had to do it again, I would get PODS and load them myself. If all movers are like The Village Mover, I would not let them take my trash to the dump. Not only did they damage nearly every piece of furniture they touched, they damaged the floors and walls of the new house we moved into. The even damaged the metal sill on our front door, now we will need to replace the entire door and frame. Did I mention this is a brand new house? the mover response, all the damage to the house and the furniture was pre-existing. Do yourself a favor, look elsewhere! Only good thing I can say is they were on time.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m103619 View Post
We recently moved from The Villages back to New England. Did lots of research on movers, finally decided on The Village Mover. They are expensive, and they ruined nearly every piece of furniture they touched. I would not recommend them to anyone. If I had to do it again, I would get PODS and load them myself. If all movers are like The Village Mover, I would not let them take my trash to the dump. Not only did they damage nearly every piece of furniture they touched, they damaged the floors and walls of the new house we moved into. The even damaged the metal sill on our front door, now we will need to replace the entire door and frame. Did I mention this is a brand new house? the mover response, all the damage to the house and the furniture was pre-existing. Do yourself a favor, look elsewhere! Only good thing I can say is they were on time.
This was the black-and-white moving van people???
Closed Thread

Tags
moving, furniture, distance, england, long

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.