The long ride home

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Veteran member
Default The long ride home

Well we just got back from dinner with the kid, grandkids, and the wife's sisters, and to put it mildly, it was gut wrenching. The food and restaurant were excellent, but at the end of dinner, the tears started to flow. While their happy for us, they still don't want us to leave, so it was very emotional. Will now finish packing the car and get some sleep. We should be on the road by 3AM , and then it's nonstop to TV. The next time you here from Marybb and I, we'll officially be frogs!!
Old 05-13-2011, 10:23 PM

My heart goes out to you and your family. Saying goodbye is so tough, but you all will be so okay.

My kid is working on me real hard through passive aggressive behavior, she does not want her Mom to move 3000 miles away. My husband and I love The Villages, we want to be free of the congestion, craziness of the big city, we want to be kids again. I feel that I have been a wonderful attentive Mom and grandma, but I also want to be wonderful to me. It's my turn to be of service to Me and the husband.

Enjoy your journey to your new home, hopefully our home sells soon so we can join you in Buttonwood.

God bless you,

J
Old 05-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Sage

Aww, I could barely read the posts outloud to my husband without crying. Life is about changing. It is difficult. But we deserve our happiness too. There's always room for visits...both ways. I truely wish you all many, many, many days of smiles, health and much happiness. Safe travels and God Bless you and yours. I'll leave the lights on for you!
Old 05-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
Well we just got back from dinner with the kid, grandkids, and the wife's sisters, and to put it mildly, it was gut wrenching. The food and restaurant were excellent, but at the end of dinner, the tears started to flow. While their happy for us, they still don't want us to leave, so it was very emotional. Will now finish packing the car and get some sleep. We should be on the road by 3AM , and then it's nonstop to TV. The next time you here from Marybb and I, we'll officially be frogs!!
Hi Lary and Mary,
I feel your pain and joy. Goodbyes are so hard. May all of your reunions with family and all of your new life in TV be filled with bliss!

Welcome home. Love and hugs,
P
Old 05-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
..May you both enjoy a long and healthy life in TV.. We welcome you back. BUT PLEEEZZZZ do not try to make it straight through...... You are talking at least 24 hrs on the road .......We ALL want you here safely.... Why not give yourselves a tour of Savannah after an overnight a couple of hours North of there. I"ll be giving the "Big- Guy- in- the- sky" a shout out with a request for your safe travel.......GODSPEED......

Last edited by mrfixit; 05-13-2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: skeered of spelling police
Old 05-14-2011, 04:40 AM
Veteran member
Smile

It is tough to leave family, but it is sooooo much fun here.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:20 AM

What heartful posts from everyone. I think about leaving my grandchildren and how sad I will be. It doesn't matter where I will be my grandchildren are always in my thoughts. I don't feel so guilty now after knowing other grandparents feel the same. I know I will be shedding some tears but hopefully when when arrive in TV the sun will be shinning.
Even leaving my kids at school makes me sad. I hope and pray that I have someway touched their lives. Well enough of being sad. I need to think about all the fun ahead of us. Wish everyone many years of happpiness.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:42 AM
Gold member

Goodbyes are so hard. I dread even thinking about that day. So I don't...not yet anyway! My husband and I will be down July 1 for a month to look for our new home (our last resort)! I cannot wait! We've been terrific parents...we always will be. We will just be terrific parents 1200 miles away having the time of our lives! Safe journey to you!
Old 05-14-2011, 05:47 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:
Goodbyes are so hard
When my parents moved from the Buffalo area to Sun City West, AZ decades ago, it was a different world communication wise. There were no cell phones, it was very expensive to make a 3-minute phone call on the land line (who heard the term land line in those days?)....and it was very expensive to fly from Buffalo to Phoenix. Nowadays, it's so much easier to stay in touch with loved ones. There are computer cameras and "Facetime" on the iPhone where you can see one another while talking on the iPhone. My brother (who lives in KC) will sometimes call me on the iPhone and it's not always a pretty picture at this end.......so I put the camera on the dawg! Anyway, bottom line....it's so much easier to stay in touch with loved ones these days.....and doesn't put you in the poor house to make a trip back home. So...have a safe trip to TV (and don't do it in one day...yikes!).....enjoy.....and look what you have waiting for you.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Move

Congrats on your move. It's not easy leaving but once your settled in and they come to visit, you'll have a great time and they'll be pleased with your decission. What was funny to us was my oldest daughter moved first and said you can visit anytime it's only a 6-7 hour drive. Well now it's only a 3 hour plane ride for everyone. It does get easier over time. Hope you have a safe trip, when you get here hook up the Skype on the computer and you can see each other any time.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:14 AM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default I was so homesick at first

It took months for me to get over the homesickness. After the kids all came to visit they understood why we moved. I still miss them, but I do love it here. I will keep you in my prayers.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:52 AM

We are moving down in August, closing in July and I have the same feelings going on right now. I keep telling myself that we have been great parent's to 2 amazing sons, and we love our Granddaughters past the sky, but now I want this lifestyle for my husband and I.
Larry and Mary, I wish you safe travels and all will be well once you get settled and start enjoying everything we have been dreaming about
Linda
(soon to be resident of St. James!)
Old 05-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Sage

Safe travels, laryb. The best is yet to come!
Old 05-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Sage

laryb -

As swimdawg's already said, there are TONS of ways to stay in touch with family and friends - different than the old "long distance phone calls" and "stick a stamp on a letter" days. And I'll bet you'll be surprised how often you'll have visitors from back home once you settle in to TV!!!

Hope your trip is a safe one -

Bill
Old 05-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Sage

Drive carefully, you, two! You'll be here before the day is over....friends from Swansea use to drive here in 17 hours. Frankly, that's way too long for me, but I'm sure you both are adrenalin driven at this point...

Saying good by is very difficult. When Mike and I headed out to CA years and years ago, we, too, had the farewell dinner with family. It was very difficult to say goodbye to my parents, siblings, grandmother, but we headed west and we visited back and forth. My parents even got brave enough to drive cross country. It was one of their most favorite trips.

You'll be fine and once you get here, you'll be so busy, you'll have to remember to make a note to call your family, time will go by so quickly as you settle in. Remember, I phones, I pod touch, pads, are good for face to face conversations. Our son, who has lived fairly close to us here for the past 5 years, will be heading to the Chicago area with his family very shortly. Though they've only in the past 5 years lived close to us, I've gotten used to it and I'm the one making the fuss...lol. My new I pod arrives on Monday....the kids all have I phones or I pod touch devices...so we'll be able to see each other quite a bit.

Hurry home, drive carefully, get plenty of rest when you arrive and WELCOME HOME!!!

Last edited by pooh; 05-14-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.