The long ride home

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Congrats on your move. It's not easy leaving but once your settled in and they come to visit, you'll have a great time and they'll be pleased with your decission. What was funny to us was my oldest daughter moved first and said you can visit anytime it's only a 6-7 hour drive. Well now it's only a 3 hour plane ride for everyone. It does get easier over time. Hope you have a safe trip, when you get here hook up the Skype on the computer and you can see each other any time.
Facing it soon too, the move that makes it our Lily Pad.

Feel this hug.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Location: Winter - Village of Bonita; Summer - Marblehead, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Facing it soon too, the move that makes it our Lily Pad.

Feel this hug.
Gracie - is your Northern Mansion for sale yet????
Inquiring minds want to know!

Today's new friend become tomorrow's family

Ohio - Cleveland, Lakewood, North Ridgeville, North Olmsted, Marblehead, Elyria; Florida - Village of Bonita (2010)
Old 05-14-2011, 08:18 PM

We just went through that three weeks ago...and haven't looked back since!!! We are here full time now and have never been happier. No one could understand how we could move so far away, but my daughter has just come down to check it all out and thoroughly understands why we found The Villages so compelling. If she could, she and her husband would move here too!!

Best of luck in your new home and new life...hope to meet up with you soon!!

Pat & Bill
Lovin' our Life in Hadley
Old 05-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Sage

LaryB,
I know you'll be tired from the drive, but please tell us when you arrive so we'll all know you got here safe and sound. Exciting times are ahead...
Old 05-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak44070 View Post
Gracie - is your Northern Mansion for sale yet????
Inquiring minds want to know!
A week from today it goes on the market. My realtor ran off for a week..If we wait a couple more weeks, with the market dropping so badly in Ohio, we will have to pay them to buy it.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
LaryB,
I know you'll be tired from the drive, but please tell us when you arrive so we'll all know you got here safe and sound. Exciting times are ahead...
Thanks for your thoughts Phyllis, and to all the other posts in this thread. Everyone of you have made me and my Maryb feel so welcomed to the "TV" Family". After the ride down and doing some unpacking, this is the first time I've turned the computer on, and naturally, TOTV is the first site I've been on. The trip was uneventful until we reached Jacksonville, and then it hit the fan! Other than a few traffic jams, the first 18 hours were a breeze. It started to rain at Jacksonville when we took the Rt 10 exit, and just got heavier and heavier, to the point where we could hardly see 20 ft in front of us, so we slowed to a crawl. When we reached the 301 exit, the roads were flooded and things were getting worse, if that was possible. We figured that if we made it this far, we'd just be careful, drive slow, and we'd finally be in TV. The one thing that really messed things up was Rt 301 being shut down in some small town called Lawtey, which I think is about 95 miles from TV. The police put up a detour sign that led to no where. It led us in to the woods and there wasn't another detour sign, and we decided to ignore the GPS, because it just led us in a circle back to the same roadblock. I drove down a road away from 301 for several miles, and when I found an intersection, I took a right and kept on driving, all the while ignoring the Garmin. After about 15 miles, I figured I was far enough from 301 to start following the GPS. After going through what seemed liked endless flooding, I ended up back on 301, and we were back on track to TV! We were supposed to arrive in 20 hours at 12:30 AM, and ended up getting in at 2:30. During the trip, Mary was following all your posts on her Ipad, and we can't tell you how much we looked forward to all them. Hopefully we'll get to meet all of you at the squares, the pools, Crispers, and all the other TV hotspots. And from now on, we won't have to call it TV, we can call it home, and that's really
Old 05-16-2011, 06:30 AM
Sage

You two are some of the sweetest and nicest people on TOTV and now you are home.

Hope to be your really friend.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:45 AM
Sage

Glad you both made it safely. Welcome home!!!

Bill
Old 05-16-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
Well we just got back from dinner with the kid, grandkids, and the wife's sisters, and to put it mildly, it was gut wrenching. The food and restaurant were excellent, but at the end of dinner, the tears started to flow. While their happy for us, they still don't want us to leave, so it was very emotional. Will now finish packing the car and get some sleep. We should be on the road by 3AM , and then it's nonstop to TV. The next time you here from Marybb and I, we'll officially be frogs!!
It is never easy to part from family. But send them a video of you and your wife line dancing in the Village Square and all will be well with family...
Old 05-16-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
Thanks for your thoughts Phyllis, and to all the other posts in this thread. Everyone of you have made me and my Maryb feel so welcomed to the "TV" Family". After the ride down and doing some unpacking, this is the first time I've turned the computer on, and naturally, TOTV is the first site I've been on. The trip was uneventful until we reached Jacksonville, and then it hit the fan! Other than a few traffic jams, the first 18 hours were a breeze. It started to rain at Jacksonville when we took the Rt 10 exit, and just got heavier and heavier, to the point where we could hardly see 20 ft in front of us, so we slowed to a crawl. When we reached the 301 exit, the roads were flooded and things were getting worse, if that was possible. We figured that if we made it this far, we'd just be careful, drive slow, and we'd finally be in TV. The one thing that really messed things up was Rt 301 being shut down in some small town called Lawtey, which I think is about 95 miles from TV. The police put up a detour sign that led to no where. It led us in to the woods and there wasn't another detour sign, and we decided to ignore the GPS, because it just led us in a circle back to the same roadblock. I drove down a road away from 301 for several miles, and when I found an intersection, I took a right and kept on driving, all the while ignoring the Garmin. After about 15 miles, I figured I was far enough from 301 to start following the GPS. After going through what seemed liked endless flooding, I ended up back on 301, and we were back on track to TV! We were supposed to arrive in 20 hours at 12:30 AM, and ended up getting in at 2:30. During the trip, Mary was following all your posts on her Ipad, and we can't tell you how much we looked forward to all them. Hopefully we'll get to meet all of you at the squares, the pools, Crispers, and all the other TV hotspots. And from now on, we won't have to call it TV, we can call it home, and that's really
Glad to hear you made it safely to your new home. Now take a deep breath , pinch yourself and start your new lifestyle. Wish you both the very best.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:30 AM
Sage

laryb:

I am soooooo happy to hear you and MaryB made it to TV safe and sound.

It's so hard saying goodbye to love ones but I'm sure visits from them will help them to see you made the right choice. They'll be stopping by as Disney is only an hour away.

Best Wishes as your start living the dream.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Platinum member

Welcome home!
(You do know that you can wave to the family if you stand by the clock at the square, call them and tell them to log on to The Villages dot com, and then click the link to the webcam at the town square? We do this all the time with folks back home)
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 05-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
Welcome home!
(You do know that you can wave to the family if you stand by the clock at the square, call them and tell them to log on to The Villages dot com, and then click the link to the webcam at the town square? We do this all the time with folks back home)
Great idea!
Old 05-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Sage

Welcome Home Lary and Mary!!! And now, THE FUN BEGINS!!
Old 05-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Three words: web cam - skype

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.