Long Term Rentals

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2017, 07:04 PM
Location: California, Massachusetts, California, Virginia, Morocco, Massachusetts, Buttonwood
Default Long Term Rentals

Ok, so here's something I have not seen addressed. My wife and I are in love with TV. We are not, however, in love with owning another home. For various reasons, we prefer to rent. I have seen many posts for rentals in TV. However, we are thinking of really long rental... like permanent. We are willing to pay more for a rental than we would for a mortgage. But what are the prospects. After a year or two, are we held hostage to an owner who decides to raise rent unreasonably, or just doesn't want to rent any longer? Of course, there is no crystal ball, but does anyone have any experience with really long term renters? We just sold our house after 34 years, and are currently in a rental condo until we are ready for the big move to TV. And we find we love the rental experience. Can anyone provide insight?
Old 02-10-2017, 07:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

You will find long term rentals usually for a year or two. You will find homes in the same series (villa, designer, cyv) will rent long term for about the same rate, and rent very quickly. Rent will usually increase at end of contract, but if the renter is exceptional and want to continue it is worth not raising the rent for a few renewals. Most rent their home long term until ready to retire. So I could be wrong but I can't imagine any rental could be a forever home, life changes for you and the owner. It runs about $10,000 and up to run a house here, with taxes, amenities fees, water, electric, cable, trash, lawn and pest.

Last edited by thelegges; 02-10-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:55 PM
Veteran member

I am in a unfurnished rental that ends end of the month. The owner is not moving here for 4 more years I hear. He also owns 2 other rentals that are permanent.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:20 AM
Veteran member
Default Rental

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofitz13 View Post
Ok, so here's something I have not seen addressed. My wife and I are in love with TV. We are not, however, in love with owning another home. For various reasons, we prefer to rent. I have seen many posts for rentals in TV. However, we are thinking of really long rental... like permanent. We are willing to pay more for a rental than we would for a mortgage. But what are the prospects. After a year or two, are we held hostage to an owner who decides to raise rent unreasonably, or just doesn't want to rent any longer? Of course, there is no crystal ball, but does anyone have any experience with really long term renters? We just sold our house after 34 years, and are currently in a rental condo until we are ready for the big move to TV. And we find we love the rental experience. Can anyone provide insight?
Hi, we may rent long term. Probably about one year minimum or longer. Have a villa walk to Sumter landing and the square. Near the Waterfront hotel, Creekside.
Let us know and it may be good for both of us.
352 775 9228 or leave message. All tile floors, nice private yard. Cute and immaculate 3 bedroom unit.

PnB
Old 02-11-2017, 11:15 AM

Sent you a private msg
Old 02-11-2017, 11:27 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofitz13 View Post
Sent you a private message. Rae

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2017, 02:32 PM

I am looking for long term renter. I have 2/2 close to Spanish Springs. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:35 PM
Location: California, Massachusetts, California, Virginia, Morocco, Massachusetts, Buttonwood

Thank you all for the replies. One of the "preparations" my wife and I have made was to sell our house. We are now in a rental condo, to see how the whole rental thing goes. We owned 3 houses over 42 years, so the rental deal is really different for us. By the time we make the move to TV, we will know for sure. If I commit to a long term rental, I want to be sure that it will be the right way for us to go. We were in TV in January, on the LPP, and all I can say is, they sure serve good Kool Aide! Can't wait for the day we move down there.
Closed Thread

Tags
rental, love, long, rent, rentals

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.