Looking for a bank

Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2022, 09:43 AM

Alliant CU is online only, pays 2.5% on savings, atm fee refunds, mobile deposits etc. I have always preferred Credit Unions over commercial banks. Less fees, rules, charges, etc.
Old 11-20-2022, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingfromCT View Post
We will be moving to TV early next year and I would like to get some thing set up ahead of time. It would be nice to have our bank picked out if possible before we get there.

Any recommendations? We will be living near Spanish Springs in the Santo Domingo neighborhood. We want online banking, a way to get cash easily and close by. No fees on a checking and savings account. Just the basics.
Far more organized than I. It only takes minutes to open an account. Not sure why you would want to do it advance. Sort of like a mail order bride? In any case if you are not happy with your choice, a divorce is just a matter of filling out a form. No cost.

We use Citizens First. You can go to any of the branches. For checking we use our brokerage account at Fidelity. N/C checking, N/C wire transfer, as you know interest rates are rising. Recent check, since your money market acct varies the interest every week, last time I checked, recent, we were getting 3.7% on cash we hold to cover checks etc. Others will be or should be similar. Far as a bank, you may want to deal with a bank that can offer you a safe deposit box. If, you need one that may be harder to find than just a bank.

Advice based on experience. Be careful to pay all bills on your previous residence with a FINAL BILL and mark the check paying final bill in full. Our previous water company kept getting sold. Amusing now. They went after us twice for an unpaid bill-we had a cancelled check paying the bill. First time I sent them a copy of the cancelled check with a polite note-it was sent return receipt. The company was sold again and the new company started again. Reality, common business practice, it is less costly for them to force you to look for it than to take the time to find it.
Old 11-20-2022, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
We will be moving to TV early next year and I would like to get some thing set up ahead of time. It would be nice to have our bank picked out if possible before we get there.

Any recommendations? We will be living near Spanish Springs in the Santo Domingo neighborhood. We want online banking, a way to get cash easily and close by. No fees on a checking and savings account. Just the basics.
Good ole Bank of America. If you use direct deposit for your Social Security check (or other regular source of income) there are no fees and you can link the checking and savings accounts together.

There's a branch of BoA right on 441 across from Michael's and Carrabba's restaurant, which has drive-through and ATM service only at the moment I believe. There's also a full-service branch (including mortgage services) on 466A, just past the Bonifay rec center across the street from Culver's. And of course BoA ATM cards are accepted at pretty much every ATM machine everywhere and are part of the CIRRUS network.

Best part is that there are BoAs all over the USA, so if you're traveling and need to actually go to a branch and speak face-to-face with someone, it's a good chance you'll be able to do that.
Old 11-20-2022, 03:13 PM

Have been a customer of TIAA Bank (formerly Everbank) since 2011. Entirely online. I believe you need to maintain $5000 in the account to avoid fees. They reimburse ATM fees without a limit. Good savings and CD rates as well.
Old 11-20-2022, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlebasset View Post
Have been a customer of TIAA Bank (formerly Everbank) since 2011. Entirely online. I believe you need to maintain $5000 in the account to avoid fees. They reimburse ATM fees without a limit. Good savings and CD rates as well.
TIAA Bank CD rates are not good. For example, the 2-year rate is 4.1 percent. You can buy FDIC insured 2-year CDs that pay 4.9 percent from any discount broker. I would stay away from banks for CDs.
Old 11-20-2022, 05:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeint View Post
I haven't been in a bank in years. I use Schwab bank online no fee ATM anywhere there is an ATM. On the rare occasion I have a check I deposit it using their app. I think Fidelity has the same options with its online banking.
I love the no fee ATM policy. And no foreign transaction fees on the debit card.
Old 11-21-2022, 05:11 AM
Veteran member

Citizens has the most locations all over the villages. On Line banking, convenient hours, helpful people. Free faxes and copies ( up to 5 pages), no fees
Old 11-21-2022, 06:01 AM
Default Citizens First for sure…

I have had Citizens First for 17 years and they have not yet disappointed me. You can access your money at any postal location via ATM in The Villages and no charge to access. Their are several locations around the villages that you can go to no matter where you happen to be. They are also outside the villages as well, like in Lessburg for example. They are friendly, courteous, easy to work with etc. I still maintain an account up north for when we travel up there for easy access as well, but you wont be disappointed with Citizens First. I also like being able to walk in and get something notarized as long as we have an account there.
Old 11-21-2022, 06:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

Strangely enough we still deal with our former bank in VA for good deal and great service.

We do deal with vystar for access to local bank.
Old 11-21-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:

We opened up accounts at Citizens First Bank before we moved here. They were more than helpful and accommodating. We kept out Bank Of America accounts and also have a Credit Union account.
Old 11-21-2022, 07:40 AM

Been with Bank of America for over 50 years. Also went with Citizens First when we moved here in 2003. Best bank around. Bank of America, Wells Fargo and Citizens First locations within 7 or 8 minutes of Santo Domingo.
Old 11-21-2022, 08:31 AM

Your best bet is to join a credit union. Suncoast Credit Union is excellent.
Old 11-21-2022, 08:54 AM

I believe most banks are similar these days with the hours and the rates and the fees a charge there could be a little differences. I have two banks I have citizens bank, which is a small local bank. And I also have Wells Fargo, which is located here in Oregon and in the villages. Since I do the snowbird thing and bounce back-and-forth, which is convenient for me to have a bank that’s open at both areas. And both are good banks.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:06 AM

We use Citizens First… great customer service. Quick story, I was moving a bunch of $$$ from a savings account (home sale proceeds) to an investment account. They actually called me to confirm the withdrawal was legitimate. Their online site and iPhone apps are very good as well.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:21 AM
Default I use Vystar Credit Union

After nine years in The Villages I have found Citizen's First is good to you in the beginning but don't show the same treatment after you have been with a few years. When it was BB&T the bank was very personal and customer oriented but after the merger with SunTrust to become Truist is lost the personal touch. Vystar Credit Union has shown it is more customer oriented.
Closed Thread

Tags
bank, online, neighborhood, domingo, springs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.