Looking for info on internet providers

Closed Thread
Old 11-12-2021, 08:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ SLIM View Post
This is too funny. It used to be that fast cars were more fun, now it's the internet. What happened to us?
We are being manipulated. Am I the only one to notice, used to be my cell phone is smaller than your cell phone. Now we brag my cell phone is bigger than your cell phone.

Your internet speed. For many your computer is slower than your POTENTIAL internet speed. It can't go faster than the slowest part of the system.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernrider75 View Post
We have Spectrum and the first year it was $55, I’m now in my second year and it went up to $70 and next year it will go up to $80. Since we will be full time by then we will probably look around for a cheaper alternative. It has been reliable and fast though.
Marketing of technical products is exactly the same as illegal drugs. They get you hooked and then raise the price. You see it with most products they SELL. Free trial. They know exactly how many will forget to cancel.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:52 PM

Does anyone know if there is fiber in Citrus Grove? Also what the best usage of the Cat6 wire in the ceiling of the new homes
Old 11-29-2021, 01:02 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,191 Times in 761 Posts

It all depends where you live. You get the carrier that serves your area , you can't choose which one you get, But.... you can get Verizon wireless or T mobile wireless over the air... Verizon and T Mobile over the air only can give you about 25 mbs where a hard wired carrier can give you 100 mbs +
Old 11-29-2021, 01:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

Just switched to T-Mobile, $50/mo. So far, so good.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKBandME View Post
Does anyone know if there is fiber in Citrus Grove? Also what the best usage of the Cat6 wire in the ceiling of the new homes
You have fiber to the post and coax from the post to house.

The ceiling connection was probably intended for an access point. (Guessing since the Villages could not give me a straight answer what they were thinking.)

But seems redundant when the is typically a wire and power at the top of the kitchen cabinets a few feet away that would give good WiFi coverage.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:31 AM
Default Xfinity or T-Mobile

We are thinking of switching from Xfinity $68. or unlimited data $98. a month (very fast speeds) because we are reaching our 1.2T limit to T-Mobile internet for $50. per month with no limits, but has slower speeds. We stream 4k tv, have computer and phones connected all day…. My concern would be the speed…. Anyone have any thoughts or do you have T-Mobile?
Old 01-18-2022, 09:36 AM
Platinum member

I wish I had a choice of spectrum or xfinity. if I did, I would just switch every time one raised a rate because I'd get the introductory offers each time. my only choice right now is xfinity (the good century link is not available here, either). I'm going to be watching how people feel the tmobile is working out.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
The "relocating" section of TOTV lists three internet providers, Century Link, Xfinity and Spectrum. Does anyone have any comments, experience or recommendations you are willing to share with a newcomer?
I have a T-Mobile Gateway device for internet. I stream TV with it. So far, no issues. $50/month, no contracts. You don't need to be a T-Mobile cellular customer to get it.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
The "relocating" section of TOTV lists three internet providers, Century Link, Xfinity and Spectrum. Does anyone have any comments, experience or recommendations you are willing to share with a newcomer?
Experience with all 3 (not necessarily here) as follows:

Xfinity: Current provider. Blazing fast internet over which we stream Amazon Prime and Roku. That along with YouTube is more TV than we need. Price just went up in October but that wasn't a surprise; when I got it I knew that the introductory rate was for only a year. Tech support good, though a housecall is $100.00. They know their stuff though and the guy who came out for us stayed until the problem was totally solved. I'm mildly displeased at the price but I'm getting what I am paying for.

CenturyLink: Previously a customer for years, out of state. Good price and no surprises about that. Customer support generally good but sometimes your calls get routed to BFE or wherever, and trying to have a discussion with an English-As-A-Distant-Second-Language person can be frustrating. Service was a bit slow however; with my recent experience with xFinity I doubt I'd ever go back to them unless there was no other choice.

Spectrum: My experiences with Spectrum were some years back, and hopefully they've changed, but they turned me off completely. I ordered an internet-TV package. Guy took nearly a whole day to install it, "it", being a modem that looked like it came over on the Mayflower. When I fired up the TV the picture decidedly was NOT what I expected. TV at the time was 1080 but the picture was worse than 720. Not only that, but the internet service, billed as blazing fast, was anything but. Not only that but it would boot me offline about once every five minutes. Support (which I FINALLY got connected to after about a half-hour of trying) gave me a song-and-dance that the internet speed depended on how many other people were online at the time (turned out I was in one of the last places in that particular group) but that if I went online during less peak hours the speed would increase and the booting offline should decrease. The TV picture? The tech guy hypothesized that there must be something wrong with my TV. After a rather heated conversation they finally agreed to come out the next morning and remove everything. Suffice it to say, they're a distant third on my list.
Closed Thread

Tags
internet, providers, comments, experience, recommendations

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.