Looking for info on Solar Pool Heaters

Closed Thread
Old 11-12-2017, 08:45 AM
Default Looking for info on Solar Pool Heaters

Thinking about installing a pool and would like some info on solar heat for the pool.
Can you actually swim year round if you have solar heat?
What is the average temperature of your pool during the winter months?
Have you had any issues with your solar heat?
Maintenance for the solar heater?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-12-2017, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlhig View Post
Thinking about installing a pool and would like some info on solar heat for the pool.

Thanks in advance!
Right now today the air temperature is 74 and our pool temperature is 74. The sky isn't brilliantly clear and the sun is not shining as bright as it usually does.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:22 AM
Sage

You didn't say if you will have an electric or gas heater. My opinion is you need both to be able to swim every day. January is a cold month. February is, too.

Yes, year round. Based on our pool, I feel you will also need an electric or gas heater in order to swim every day.
You also need a cover to reduce the temperature drop overnight.

High 60s to low 70s when the pump starts in the morning. We shoot for 80-82 by mid-day during the winter.
Frankly your mileage may vary.
I believe you can reach higher temps if you keep the heater going all the time the pump is running. The more hours you run the pump/heater combo, the more warmed water you push though the pool - but as always, "time is money."
It's hard to answer because both our electric heater and our solar system are each controlled by a thermostat. Basically, we have it set so that the solar valve opens as soon as the morning sun warms the solar system to the point that the valve opens. During the winter, that valve stays open all day, as long as the water temperature in the solar system doesn't fall too low. We have some trees that shade the roof in the afternoon.

No - two years of use.

Occasionally blow leaves/twigs off the roof.

One more factor - size matters. The more square feet of solar panels you have, the more heat the solar system can generate. In our case the size of our solar panels is 100% of the surface of our pool - 12x24= 288 sq. ft. That's all I know, any more advise about this factor needs to come from an installer.
And one more - the direction your panels face can affect the sun's ability to heat the water in the system. Again, installer advice is needed.

Bottom line: I believe a solar system will increase the number of days you can use your pool.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:58 AM

Great info - thanks!
Old 11-12-2017, 01:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

We have a solar system with a gas heater back up.
The settings on both are at 84 degrees. This time of year the gas heater gets the job done in a couple of hours.
As the evening temperatures start to slide into the 60's and below the gas runs more the next day.

We usually shut the heat system down mid December to first week in February.....just too cold to get in and out of the water. Heaters will still do the job but run almost all day long....$$$$$!

The first couple of years we used a pool cover. Gave that up. Our pool is very irregular and is a mini task to cover and uncover. We found it did help but the sight was not worth it. We would much rather have the better views all winter long.

Going with just solar will not keep the temp where it is comfortable this time of year.

All the above is based on our experience only.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
You didn't say if you will have an electric or gas heater. My opinion is you need both to be able to swim every day. January is a cold month. February is, too.
Neither. He said SOLAR.

Mine is swimmable 10 months of the year.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:58 AM

Quote:

Yes, year round. Based on our pool, I feel you will also need an electric or gas heater in order to swim every day.
You also need a cover to reduce the temperature drop overnight.

High 60s to low 70s when the pump starts in the morning. We shoot for 80-82 by mid-day during the winter.
Frankly your mileage may vary.
I believe you can reach higher temps if you keep the heater going all the time the pump is running. The more hours you run the pump/heater combo, the more warmed water you push though the pool - but as always, "time is money."
It's hard to answer because both our electric heater and our solar system are each controlled by a thermostat. Basically, we have it set so that the solar valve opens as soon as the morning sun warms the solar system to the point that the valve opens. During the winter, that valve stays open all day, as long as the water temperature in the solar system doesn't fall too low. We have some trees that shade the roof in the afternoon.

No - two years of use.

Occasionally blow leaves/twigs off the roof.

One more factor - size matters. The more square feet of solar panels you have, the more heat the solar system can generate. In our case the size of our solar panels is 100% of the surface of our pool - 12x24= 288 sq. ft. That's all I know, any more advise about this factor needs to come from an installer.
And one more - the direction your panels face can affect the sun's ability to heat the water in the system. Again, installer advice is needed.

Bottom line: I believe a solar system will increase the number of days you can use your pool.
If you don't mind me asking, do you have a gas or electric heater and how much does that add to your utility bill during the winter months?
Old 11-13-2017, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The settings on both are at 84 degrees. This time of year the gas heater gets the job done in a couple of hours.
As the evening temperatures start to slide into the 60's and below the gas runs more the next day.

We usually shut the heat system down mid December to first week in February.....just too cold to get in and out of the water. Heaters will still do the job but run almost all day long....$$$$$!

The first couple of years we used a pool cover. Gave that up. Our pool is very irregular and is a mini task to cover and uncover. We found it did help but the sight was not worth it. We would much rather have the better views all winter long.

Going with just solar will not keep the temp where it is comfortable this time of year.

More good information...thank you!
Old 11-13-2017, 08:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlhig View Post
If you don't mind me asking, do you have a gas or electric heater and how much does that add to your utility bill during the winter months?
I have electric and I don't know. I suppose it's "noticeable" but I will never spend the time to try and figure it out.

I will say this, we bump up the thermostat for the heater in the morning. Then we shut the heater off after we have used the pool that day. Repeat the next day.

In the winter, we set the thermostat for the solar system so the solar is heating all day.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

Thank you for this information. We haven't used our gas heater yet and wondered about that.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
I have electric and I don't know. I suppose it's "noticeable" but I will never spend the time to try and figure it out.

I will say this, we bump up the thermostat for the heater in the morning. Then we shut the heater off after we have used the pool that day. Repeat the next day.

In the winter, we set the thermostat for the solar system so the solar is heating all day.
Thanks for the info!
Old 11-14-2017, 12:41 PM

We have solar and gas heat. Moved in in August, Solar installed mid September. We are not using the heater, yet. I have been tracking the pool and air temperatures during the day. In the morning the pool is several degrees warmer. I haven’t seen a level below 72, yet. By 10 they have been equal. By noon the pool is warmer by three or four degrees. By mid afternoon the pool is approaching the solar setting. The question is what water temp is comfortable? For us 85 is good. The morning heater run strategy sounds like a good one right now. May not be enough for January.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

As the daytime temps go below 70 accompanied by night time temps in 50 or less.......the differential between the morning temp and the pool water temp will start approaching a point where there is not enough heat in the sun or hours in the day and the gas unable to run long enough to meet the preferred temps in the 80's.

All dependent on size of the pool, how many solar panels and btu capacity of the heater.

The bigger the differential, the more the heater runs and the $$$ meter spins pretty fast.....
Closed Thread

Tags
solar, pool, heat, info, winter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.