How Cold Is It ?

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Default How Cold Is It ?

I know you had a severe cold spell a few weeks ago. How has the whole winter been? A realtor there told me she only uses her furnace about 20 days a year "just to take the chill off in the morning". I've been watching the temps all winter and most days it's 40's in the morning and only 55-65 in the PM. That's a little more than "taking the chill off". What's really the norm....are most days pleasant?
Old 02-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I've been here for two winters now. Last year, I had the heat on for about 5 days, I think. This year has been abnormally cold and I won't discuss how often the heat has been on. According to weather reports and long-timers, we're usually in the 70s.

It could just be a one-time freak of nature, it could be the beginning of climate change (heat at the poles could make for cold in other climes). Who knows?

Even so, we're not shoveling snow; we're not in true danger from hurricanes (yet); earthquakes would be a true rarety; mudslides are a physical impossibility (no hills here). Oh, did I mention we're not shoveling snow? Or having to drive in snow? Or shoveling snow?

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-18-2010, 12:27 PM
Veteran member

My heating bill for January was the same as A/C for JULY. OUCH!
My neighbor's was worse but he has to run his pool pump to keep pipes from freezing.
February came down by 30% which is a bit more realistic.
The increased sun does help.
I would say we're running heat every morning since Jan 1.
But, I'm also not shoveling snow.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 02-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectreron View Post
I know you had a severe cold spell a few weeks ago. How has the whole winter been? A realtor there told me she only uses her furnace about 20 days a year "just to take the chill off in the morning". I've been watching the temps all winter and most days it's 40's in the morning and only 55-65 in the PM. That's a little more than "taking the chill off". What's really the norm....are most days pleasant?
Let's just say that all the brass monkies are running for cover.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Veteran member
Talking Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Let's just say that all the brass monkies are running for cover.
That about says it all!
Old 02-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Wink Climate Change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
It could just be a one-time freak of nature, it could be the beginning of climate change (heat at the poles could make for cold in other climes).
I don't mean to spark a "heated debate" (no pun intended), but do want to offer some balance regarding the climate change reference, unless of course you were joking.

If not (or for those who may still "believe" in man made global warming), please check out this interesting piece from the WSJ.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...DDLETopOpinion

The article is under the heading of Opinion Journalism, but it is filled with up to date facts for anyone interested in both sides of this issue.

Don't get me wrong... I'm all for treating the planet well. I just don't buy the now conveniently named "climate change" argument that we are constantly bombarded with in much of the media.

Last edited by Allen; 02-18-2010 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Platinum member

In my 5 years here, this has clearly been the most severe winter. I cannot recall even one below-freezing early morning temperature in '05, 06, '07. Maybe two in '08. At least 5 in '09.

But 8 days in a row in '10, plus additional days just this past week.

The gurus say our normal high at this time is 72-75. That seems about right to me, but it isn't happening this year.

But, with redwitch: We aren't shoveling anything. Still, I don't have to explain why my car still has an ice scraper in it!

SWR
Old 02-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Gold member

I was curious about how cold this winter has been relative to the average, so I checked the numbers. Of the 48 days so far this year, only 16 have been at or above the average high for each day. The average number of degrees above average on these days has been 5 degrees. Of the 32 days that were below average, the average deviation below avergae was 12 degrees. So yeah, we've had as twice as many cold days than warm/average days and when it is cold it is sigificantly colder than normal.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Default Blame it on us!

I was listening to the weather this morning and the weatherman stated that the entire south is colder than normal right now ( and has been for a while). The northern 2/3's of the eastern half of the country is covered in snow - and further south than normal - which means when the air circulates in a big "high" over the country, all that air cooled by the snowpack up north comes your way - bamm! Florida gets a taste of the deep freeze we've been experiencing here in Michigan. Meanwhile, we, in turn will blame it on our friends to the north - the Canuks!
Old 02-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Actually, I blame it on two couples from Indiana. Every time they come down, it is cold. Last year, they were here for one month -- we were below freezing. This year, they're here two months and we're colder than the proverbial witch's left ....... If they come for longer next year, I'm taking a vacation to Alaska -- it'll be warmer there.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Veteran member

I've heard (don't shoot the messenger!) that our topiaries are dead from the cold. We are hopeful that they will come back.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 02-19-2010, 10:33 AM
Veteran member

Dee come on up!! It has been a warm winter here in Alaska, in the 40's the last few days. We usually don't see tempertures like that until May, this is just a trick of Mother Nature we still have at least 2 more months of Winter. There is still a couple of feet of snow in the yard and the driveway is like a skating rink.

Quote:
Actually, I blame it on two couples from Indiana. Every time they come down, it is cold. Last year, they were here for one month -- we were below freezing. This year, they're here two months and we're colder than the proverbial witch's left ....... If they come for longer next year, I'm taking a vacation to Alaska -- it'll be warmer there.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Sage

Quote:

Now that's cold.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
You can see how misinformed I am. I thought it was her right one, and in a brass bra!
Old 02-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You can see how misinformed I am. I thought it was her right one, and in a brass bra!
In Colorado its: a witches *** in a brass bra no reference to side. But my favorite is PDC.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.