Looking for younger Villagers

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Default Looking for younger Villagers

My wife and I just became full time residents (July 1) and although we have tons of friends here already it would be nice to have some friends our own age (55) that share some common life experiences (i.e. - children the same age, same musical tastes, etc.) Is there a club that anyone can recommend that may fulfill this desire?
Old 08-26-2009, 05:08 AM
Default Just a little older but not by much...

Hi,

My husband and I have been here since August 1. We're a little older but not by much - 4-5 years. There are a number of us, but no club that I know of. We're still busy finding things to do

Send a private message - maybe we can get together one day.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:31 AM

Hi and welcome to The Villages!

I am not much older than you and have found that age really doesn't matter as much in The Villages as it seemed to "back home". I've met many really active people in their 70's ( and 80's!!), and have come across some very sedentary "old" acting people in their 50's. I have also met people older than me, with children younger than mine. ( Don't know about the music, but it will be interesting to see some Heavy Metal at the squares in a few years! )

I have found the best way to meet people that I can "connect" with, is to just get out and do all of the many activities this wonderful place offers that interest you. You will have NO problem making many friends who share your interests! ( and don't be surprised if some of them are older!!)

Again, Welcome to Paradise!!
Old 08-26-2009, 05:36 AM
Veteran member

You need to join the Baby Boomers Club. Club requires that one member (spouse or partner) be born between 1946-1964. Proof of age is required to join. Here's the link with all the info.

http://thevillagesbabyboomers.com/
Old 08-26-2009, 06:57 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

cherman, me and wife are also younger, I am 51, and wife only 48 and we have made close friends with others in their low and mid 50's. Also have made close friends with those older, as has been stated TV residents as awhole are yonger at heart and can relate to someone of any age and become good friends, cause we are all active and enjoy LIVING life!

Army Guy
Old 08-26-2009, 07:43 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Hi there,

Jim and I (56, 54) have a great time with AG and Mrs AG when they are here. We live very near to Largo and would be glad to get together (PM me?)

I also agree with the other posters that some our best friends in TV are older than us. Mostly they know this because they tell us - you would never know by their energy levels!!!

Kate
Old 08-26-2009, 08:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Guy View Post
cherman, me and wife are also younger, I am 51, and wife only 48 and we have made close friends with others in their low and mid 50's. Also have made close friends with those older, as has been stated TV residents as awhole are yonger at heart and can relate to someone of any age and become good friends, cause we are all active and enjoy LIVING life!

Army Guy
51 and 48?

We were told that at least 1 in the household had to be at least 55 before buying in TV. Did we understand wrong?
Old 08-26-2009, 08:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen83 View Post
Hi and welcome to The Villages!

I am not much older than you and have found that age really doesn't matter as much in The Villages as it seemed to "back home". I've met many really active people in their 70's ( and 80's!!), and have come across some very sedentary "old" acting people in their 50's. I have also met people older than me, with children younger than mine. ( Don't know about the music, but it will be interesting to see some Heavy Metal at the squares in a few years! )

I have found the best way to meet people that I can "connect" with, is to just get out and do all of the many activities this wonderful place offers that interest you. You will have NO problem making many friends who share your interests! ( and don't be surprised if some of them are older!!)

Again, Welcome to Paradise!!
Coldn't have said it better.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:13 AM
Veteran member

You didn't read wrong. However, federal law requires age restricted communities to have an 80-20 split. If at least 20 % are not under age 55, then someone younger than 55 can not be denied residency. If, however, there is 20%, then TV can legally deny someone under 55. TV is nowhere near the 20%.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default I find age, the number, to be not a good indicator.

As you will find soon enough in TV there are many of the so called younger, that are much older in many ways. And then there are the post 60 & 70 that will put many of the younger to shame. I wouldn't limit my good fortune in people yet to be met by putting such an inhibitor as age up for criteria.

You are as old as you feel or wanna be. Some of us choose to ignore the number and just go do what ever.

btk (one of the older ones!!!)
Old 08-26-2009, 09:12 AM
Default Look for common interests

The beauty of TV is the huge number of clubs that let you quickly find people who share your interests. Music? Join a music group. -- etc. etc. --
Common interests are a much better basis for friendships than age.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Default Under 50

Hey Wife and I will just be 48 -and we are very comfortable here. here just over a year.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

I was told that we were allowed to buy since I had reached eligible retirement age in the military with 30 years.
I asked before we made our first visit, since if we could not buy we would not have come.

Army Guy
Old 08-26-2009, 10:28 AM
Platinum member

Damn kids!
Get off my lawn!!

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/10/...t-off-my-lawn/
Suffering from TV envy
Old 08-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Platinum member

But, the liveliest member of our block has only just turned 55. The rest of us struggle to keep up our image of being as young as she is!

For the most part, I think we show how good we are. And, we're mostly over 70!

It's the Kool-Aid, stupid!

SWR

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.