Gentlemen

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2007, 07:32 AM
Default Gentlemen

What is it with the guys that wear their hats/caps in restaurants? Inconsiderate? Lack of manners?
Obviously have never spent any time in the military. I just don't get it. Guess my manners are just too
conservative.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Platinum member
Default Re: Gentlemen

I hadn't noticed it in the Villages but I've seen "normal" people wearing a ball cap while eating in a restaurant. Either they're making a statement that they don't care much for society's definition of good manners, or maybe no one ever corrected them.

We visited the Marine Corps base at Quantico a few years ago and on base if you neglected to remove your "cover" as they referred to hats anywhere inside, even a department store, one of the marines would kindly remind you to "remove your cover." Having said this, I don't have an answer for you. I could easily see how reminding someone could easily slip into an argument.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:36 AM

I really believe it is because there are too many SENIOR MOMENTS when we forget our hat when we leave. Besides cell phones, loud talking and rudeness are far worse.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:19 PM

Not taking off a hat a senior moment? No way! As a teacher the students had to be reminded of head covers ALL the time! Day in and day out!

Now don't you know, I even asked the fathers that came in for meetings and concerts to take thier's off too. Yup. Asked them to set a good example for the children. Most did.

So, just a matter of constant reminding about manners is necessary, senior or not.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:27 PM
Veteran member

I agree with peepop regarding the cell phone issue. It's much more obtrusive I think. Hat's off for gentlemen in establishments stems from Victorian era customs and courtesy. Custom and courtesy in societies change. Perhaps this is what we are experiencing. Good or bad, change is a certainy but it doesn't mean you must like it. I remember my dad looking at guys in the 60's with long hair and thinking were all going to *ell in a hand basket. Change. What a concept huh?

I remember, in the military going to chow hall, as we would enter, we would remove our covers and smack it against our legs to remind those behind us that ol' sarge was watching (and listening).

Have you ever noticed how many seniors wear their golf hats in the CC's after a round. Take a look next time. It's not just the younger folks who are not complying with the "old" custom.

Oh, BTW, don't let me catch anyone with a hat on during the playing of the national anthem.....that REALLY bugs me. In restaurants.....it's water off a ducks back.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 05-25-2007, 11:02 AM

I can clearly recall having breakfast in the Taba Hilton in Egypt when four very big (not fat) Americans in business suits came into breakfast. They appeared polite and cordial, but it did bother me that all four were wearing what we used to call 10-gallon hats and they wore them throughout the meal. Perhaps there's a regionalism in manners (?).
Old 05-25-2007, 02:34 PM

Since we are not in the military anymore maybe we are rebelling or just having a bad hair day!! :dontknow:

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.