Lot line marker

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2021, 07:53 AM
Location: Moved to the Village of Caroline from St. Louis MO.
Default Lot Corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenie504 View Post
Call a Surveyor. There is no physical marker of your property line buried underground.
If you just want an approximate location, (within inches) check out where your and your neighbors sprinklers. Usually the lot line is between the two of them.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie504 View Post
call a surveyor. There is no physical marker of your property line buried underground.
wrong !!!!!
Old 07-23-2021, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

General information on this subject I just dug up.

Survey Markers | Survey Rebar Caps
Old 07-23-2021, 08:55 AM

Sumter County site plans for homes older than 10yrs, $50 from
Age Wave Solutions, 340 Heald Way Suite 212, Villages 32162
no website phone 352-391-9669
Old 07-23-2021, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenie504 View Post
Call a Surveyor. There is no physical marker of your property line buried underground.
Sorry I believe you are wrong in our village, just south of 466a I have personally seen the markers when the house next door was sold. I took pictures with a ruler, so I know exactly where these (2) are if I need the info in the future.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:27 AM

Don't trust the sprinkler head locations; they are meaningless. Don't trust do it yourself metal detecting because I tried and there are so many false positives. The builders bury their trash everywhere. You are supposed to trust your plot plan but then again, the builder can get away with anything as long as it looks close.
Get a real surveyor to tell you where the lot corners are based in the Datum used for your street. Then make sure you see if everyone around you did or will conform to the rules when adding cement molded curbing, the stack wall builders and landscaping guys will tell you anything to get the job and don't contact the villages. That's why they can start in a couple of days. 8
If your neighbor's stuff is on your property, take a breath, evaluate how bad is the infraction, and if you can live with it in peace with the person, then let it go.
There are some places in our neighborhood where there is no room for the riding or even push mowers to get through. How did that happen?
Old 07-23-2021, 06:28 PM
Veteran member

In 2007 we bought our first home, which had been built in 2004. The home inspection revealed poor water pressure in one sprinkler zone. A helpful customer service rep looked at the water bills and said, 'Holy cow!' What did that mean? The property should have used about 4,000 gallons of irrigation water a month—and it was using around 30,000! She also told me that the irrigation water bill was astronomical from day 1. A trust had been paying all the property bills for the very elderly couple we were buying from, so no one realized there was a problem.

When I started asking about property lines, I was met with 'rolling on the floor laughing'.... That was no help. I had visions of the entire front lawn being torn up looking for a leak, and worse, the shortest route from the distribution box to the zone went under the driveway—what a thought!

Eventually I was able to track down the company that had installed the irrigation systems in that area. A manager came and stood in the street in front of the house looking at the property. His first assurance was that they NEVER run the lines under the driveway, even if it's four times longer to go around the entire house. Whew!

He stared for a couple of minutes, grabbed a shovel from his truck, and dug up TWO spadefuls of soil, reached into the ground, and pulled up an irrigation line that simply ended underground, meaning the water ran like a hose. It had NEVER had a sprinkler on it! He installed a sprinkler, turned on the system, returned to the road, and stared some more.

He then went back to the same spot and dug up ONE more spadeful adjacent to the first hole, again reached into the ground, and pulled up another sprinkler line which did have a sprinkler head on it; it had just spent the preceding three years buried! He pulled the sprinkler up and set it level to the lawn, explaining to me that this second sprinkler was for the area immediately around the sprinkler, whereas the first one was an oscillating sprinkler doing one large segment of the lawn. Now the pressure was correct, and the water consumption dropped to what it should have been.

The man explained to me that when these systems are installed, it's done by eye; they don't work from a survey, and he wasn't even sure there was an accurate survey showing on the property itself. From what he had said, I was left with the impression that properties just flow into each other, that it's all approximate, and that finding an exact lot line would be difficult to impossible.

We considered this a builder's defect, authenticated by the very company that had installed the system. The Developer saw it as yet another thing to roll on the floor laughing. Their position was 'It went through your meter, you pay for it.' For us it was a nominal amount; we felt bad for the elderly folks whose trust had been paying that astronomical bill for three years!
Closed Thread

Tags
lot, marker, line, idea, metal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.