Lots Backing up to Retention Ponds

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2018, 08:56 PM
Default Lots Backing up to Retention Ponds

What are the disadvantages of a lot that has a retention pond in the back yard?

More mosquitoes?
Alligators chasing your wife?
Do they ever go dry and stink?
Who maintains the area near the retention pond?

Thanks

(Retiring August 2018 Yahoo!)
Old 02-17-2018, 09:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Do a studly of how many sink holes are near ponds.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Sinkholes draining the pond; it taking awhile to get the hole plugged then taking forever to get the pond level back up. Then, a sinkhole draining the pond again, taking more time to get it plugged again and forever, again, to get the level back up.

In between all this time, plants sprouting and growing like crazy with the sun/heat/moisture we have.

A home with a water view is not guaranteed to have a water view forever; ask a realtor. But, it is beautiful while it lasts.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

There are different types of retention ponds, some are used for watering the golf courses, these typically have a maintained (or minimum maintained) water level, some others are water run off collection, and may go dry or swampy during conditions of low rain. There have been reports of odors coming from some ponds, typically twice a year I think. Gators are a possibility, but snakes and other wildlife are probably a larger possibility. As for maintenance, check with the sales agent, then double check with the documents for the property.
As noted on other threads, the water view you see today is probably NOT the water view you will see tomorrow. If this is important to you, please investigate this thoroughly do not just use this forum.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We have a water view, it has basically stayed the same since 2010. Except for 2017 when the hurricane dumped all the rain then it did its job, rose a good ten feet and kept water from our houses. Two trees did not survive the storm, around the pond, they were remove about 6 weeks after the storm. Other trees had damage, and branches were trimmed. So far no sink hole has appeared.

Advantage no neighbors behind, pelicans, ducks and other birds fly in. So far no gator has moved in, but not a big deal. Those who have a water view love them.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Do a studly of how many sink holes are near ponds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
There are different types of retention ponds, some are used for watering the golf courses, these typically have a maintained (or minimum maintained) water level, some others are water run off collection, and may go dry or swampy during conditions of low rain. There have been reports of odors coming from some ponds, typically twice a year I think. Gators are a possibility, but snakes and other wildlife are probably a larger possibility. As for maintenance, check with the sales agent, then double check with the documents for the property.
As noted on other threads, the water view you see today is probably NOT the water view you will see tomorrow. If this is important to you, please investigate this thoroughly do not just use this forum.
Hope this helps.
These are the best two answers. Especially the part that I have bolded.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_sjc View Post
What are the disadvantages of a lot that has a retention pond in the back yard?

More mosquitoes?
Alligators chasing your wife?
Do they ever go dry and stink?
Who maintains the area near the retention pond?

Thanks

(Retiring August 2018 Yahoo!)
I thought you wee seeking disadvantages.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I thought you wee seeking disadvantages.
Funny Guy. So I'm guessing your wife doesn't know your forum name.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Alligators chasing wife?

With my wife? They wouldn't dare!
Old 02-19-2018, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_sjc View Post
Funny Guy. So I'm guessing your wife doesn't know your forum name.
She may not know my name but she has my number.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:42 AM
Gold member

You forgot one ---------------->>> Sinkholes
Old 02-19-2018, 10:46 AM

We have a lot on a pond connected to Evans Prairie. It went down during the recent drought, but being attached to the Prairie it did not go dry.

We do see alligators regularly, both small and large. The big boys like to sun on the bank. They have never come anywhere near us, and they don't concern me.

Recently, there were two otters running about. They are cute as the dickens, but don't be fooled. They are top-notch predators. One of them caught a fish, and swam around on his back, admiring his prize.

We have the usual birds, an occasional snake and once in a great while, turtles. I was fascinated to see they have a little snorkel on the top of their head.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,931 Times in 2,454 Posts

My concern living close to retention pond would be sinkhole. IMO and theory's are ( I'm no hydrology major, but didn't fall off the Turpin truck yesterday) and what I have observed many things can cause pond to loose it water. Weight of the pond water the water will seek path of least resistance. Sometimes this is straight down, hole in liner or weak spot or pushing out the side around drainage pipes. IMO sinkholes inline with drain tubes or transfer tube the water has seek path along the drain tubes and then seep downward weakening the roof Of cavity below. I guess these drain tubing at least 15 or 20 feet below ground level in spots.

Now enough seepage has remove enough soil above the cavity the roof caves in. I'Ve noticed this on few retention ponds the were drained due to sinkholes. It's double edged sword got have them and danger that comes with them. Feel free to rebuttal this cause it's just my opinion and theory on retention pond sink holes.
Closed Thread

Tags
retention, pond, dry, wife, stink

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.