Lots with walls behind them

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2012, 07:51 AM
Gold member
Default Lots with walls behind them

Thank you all for the information you have given to the questions I have asked. Now for another one. Has anyone bought a lot with a wall behind it and what do you think about it? How far is the wall from the back of your house. If it backing along a road how is the traffic noise. My wife and I have been to TV twice, for about 7 days total. We want to move there as soon as we sell our place,our fingers are crossed. The info here has helped us to kind of narrow things down a bit.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Sage

Tommy,

I have read some of your posts about the kind of home you want in The Villages and it is good you are asking before buying.

Why not consider buying a re-sale home in an established neighborhood? That way you know exactly what is around you, exactly what the house and lot look like, able to negotiate price with the seller, and have a lower bond or even no bond at all.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:58 AM

Good points raised. Whether new or pre-owned (that was our choice) you will find some close and some not so close to the walls. You will find some that have quite a bit of street noise and some that are quiet. The only way to know for certain is to put your own, or a trusted agent/friend's, eyeball and ear on the potential home. New or pre-owned? Each have their own good and bad but you can't really get one answer to the noise or distance question. Sorry for the "non-answer" to the OP's question.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Sage

To the OPs original point:

a. How far the wall will be from the house will depend on the depth of the lot and the particular model of home you're considering. I've seen some homes that don't have much back yard at all while others do.

b. The wall will help block some of the road noise. But you'd have to listen for yourself to see what you think, particularly if the road on the other side of the wall is one of the more well traveled thoroughfares.

Bill
Old 07-17-2012, 10:37 AM
Eternal Member

I have a wall and CYVs behind me. It is 13' 6" from the wall to the lanai. Add another 9 feet and you are at the house. I love the wall. I have my privacy.

There is a Amarillo down the street with a wall for sale at $162K. But it has a $5000 bond.

RE/MAX PREMIER REALTY Has Florida Homes Listed Online

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

we are looking at preowned took a couple of chairs with us and sat in the front yard and the back for awhile to see about the noise....just saying
Old 07-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Tommy,

I have read some of your posts about the kind of home you want in The Villages and it is good you are asking before buying.

Why not consider buying a re-sale home in an established neighborhood? That way you know exactly what is around you, exactly what the house and lot look like, able to negotiate price with the seller, and have a lower bond or even no bond at all.
It always a possibilty. I will look at everything.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
we are looking at preowned took a couple of chairs with us and sat in the front yard and the back for awhile to see about the noise....just saying
Our plan ,when we sell our home is to rent somthing in TV and than look at all the options that are out there. Thanks to all who have given there thoughts to me.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy steam View Post
It always a possibilty. I will look at everything.
I am sure you have heard that you should definitely have a Villages Property agent and an agent from outside The Villages - like Realty Executives or ReMax - since neither can show houses listed by both.

Give me a PM when you are ready to come down here, and I will be glad to let you see my house as to what a re-sale has to offer over a new home. No, I am NOT selling. I could not be pried out of my home.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

I originally purchased a lot where the side of my house would have backed onto the
perimeter wall of the CYV's. I liked the idea of privacy there and felt I could landscape it well on that side. In the end result I realized I wanted visual space more, and switched to a golf course lot which achieved a bit of both.
Good luck and I hope you find what makes you happy!

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Old 07-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Veteran member

We bought a lot in Charlotte with a wall. When we built our Lilac we extended the lanai as much as was allowed for our lot size. No regrets...we love our wall. It's a bit more privacy than would be the norm. Luckily, one neighbor's lanai is away from ours. The lot on the other side is still empty, so we don't know how the orientation of that lanai will be. All in all, we made the right decision for us.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:56 AM
Sage
Default Love 'our' wall

We have a Wisteria with a wall directly in back. I do not remember the exact measurement to the wall, but my guess is 12 feet from edge of lanaii. I have never lived anywhere where people could look in the back of my home, so having the wall prevents that and made us feel more comfortable living so close to other homes. After a little landscaping it is very peaceful (when two dogs in CYV behind us are in their house) and private.

One small thing to consider. Keep an eye out for where the electrical supply box will go (the big green one). In open space the hummmm is often not noticeable, but depending on the location of the home a wall will tend to 'enhance' the noise.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:43 AM
Sage

We saw homes with a wall on the side or the back and we didn't care for the lack of openness, felt closed in.

The lot we bought has a dead end street abutting the back property, so it appears open.

I thought the min setback was 20' off the back of the house?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
We saw homes with a wall on the side or the back and we didn't care for the lack of openness, felt closed in.

The lot we bought has a dead end street abutting the back property, so it appears open.

I thought the min setback was 20' off the back of the house?
Nope. Ten feet.

We had a half wall behind us at our first home here in Hadley and we loved it. I agree with Applesof.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:16 AM

I also have a wall behind my Lilac. I extended my lanai as much as allowed and will have the remaining area landscaped. I have neighbors on the other side of the wall and they are friendly even though we would never recognize each other. The wall is great for privacy and I love having it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.