VNN Closed Captioning

View Poll Results: Do you think The Villages Should provide CLOSED CAPTIONING on VNN
YES 33 67.35%
NO 16 32.65%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 06-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Default VNN Closed Captioning

Too Bad The Villages Does not care about all of its citizens.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Taltarzac
Default Re: VNN Closed Captioning

Good idea for a poll, Happy62. :bigthumbsup:
Old 06-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy62
Too Bad The Villages Does not care about all of its citizens.
Now that about as unbiased as hell for someone setting up a poll. Reminds me of the NY Times polls.

First of all, you are not a citizen of The Villages. If anything, you are a citizen of X county, Y community development district.

Secondly, none of those entities owns VNN. The station is owned and operated by a private corporation both as a service to viewers and as a marketing tool for its enterprise. If you don't like the way it's run, start your own station.

Thirdly, there is nothing on VNN that makes it mandatory viewing for the public. It's nice to have if you want to see cute little vignettes about your neighbors or homes for sale. Other than that, if you don't like it, don't watch it.

"Too Bad The Villages Does not care about all of its citizens." God, I hate that attitude. Once this place becomes governed by the citizens, it's squeaky wheels like that and the POA who are going to run this place and when that happens, we will quickly go to hell in a handbasket.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 06-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Taltarzac

There is a FCC file on the whole case pending on the closed captioning for the VCC. The case seems to have the number CGB-CC-0789 and you can get to it by following the instructions in the FCC website. http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...A-08-793A1.pdf Just remember to put 06-181 in the box 1 marked "proceeding" and then 0789 in box ten "file number". There are about 30 items there as of today. Comments from interested people and groups as well as the attorneys' filings.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncle
Now that about as unbiased as hell for someone setting up a poll. Reminds me of the NY Times polls.

First of all, you are not a citizen of The Villages. If anything, you are a citizen of X county, Y community development district.

Secondly, none of those entities owns VNN. The station is owned and operated by a private corporation both as a service to viewers and as a marketing tool for its enterprise. If you don't like the way it's run, start your own station.

Thirdly, there is nothing on VNN that makes it mandatory viewing for the public. It's nice to have if you want to see cute little vignettes about your neighbors or homes for sale. Other than that, if you don't like it, don't watch it.

"Too Bad The Villages Does not care about all of its citizens." God, I hate that attitude. Once this place becomes governed by the citizens, it's squeaky wheels like that and the POA who are going to run this place and when that happens, we will quickly go to hell in a handbasket.

Particularly about Happy62 who lives outside the villages and said he enjoys the villages amenities. Grrrrr.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:45 PM

Muncle,

Well put.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:33 PM

Second on Muncle.

Can you say "marketing tool"? It's like a perpetual brochure. Enough complaints and it won;t be a point for discussion any longer...like the buffalo.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

However, closed captioning would be a nice perk.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:28 PM

Does anyone know How many people will really benefit from the Closed Captioned feature?? Is all of this fuss about 3 or 4 people??
Old 06-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member

efrahin

Think about your question and the age of the residents here in TV. Were you joking?
Old 06-25-2008, 10:42 PM
mcelheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac
There is a FCC file on the whole case pending on the closed captioning for the VCC. The case seems to have the number CGB-CC-0789 and you can get to it by following the instructions in the FCC website. http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...A-08-793A1.pdf Just remember to put 06-181 in the box 1 marked "proceeding" and then 0789 in box ten "file number". There are about 30 items there as of today. Comments from interested people and groups as well as the attorneys' filings.
Excellent research Taltarzac. A must read. This is the FCC...
We have had 3 excellent threads on this topic already.

efahin
There are hundreds who are deaf in the villages.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member

back Mc

My hubby is classified as a disabled veteran because of his hearing loss. He does not need close captioning yet but who knows what the future holds.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:10 PM
mcelheny

Brightspot01,

Good to be back!

Have you seen all the threads on this? Some real nice articles and comments. I think the founder of the Villages would be very disappointed in the way his grandchildren are treating this issue.
Many people are like your husband. The older you get...
Old 06-25-2008, 11:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Deaf is one thing, hearing disablility is another. If it hasn't happened to you, It probably will, efrhrahin. It is about as likely as people needing reading glasses around 40. Hearing loss starts later, but is very common as people age.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Sage

I replied to this on another post, but I'll repeat it here. My husband has only 10% hearing, but through the miracle of modern science, he had a cochlear implant and it's been a real blessing to us. Even with that, we keep the Closed Captioning on all the time. I like it myself because in many of the movies, the actors are talking very fast, comedy shows, etc. Guess we both just got used to it.

Now in all honesty, he does not watch VNN. But that doesn't mean I don't think the developer or whoever is in charge, shouldn't provide Closed Captioning. I absolutely think they should. When we joined ALDA, The Association for Late Deafened Adults, years back, we discovered that there were over 40 million people that were partially or completely deaf. I'm sure that number has grown.

It only stands to reason that in a community of 70,000 plus and growing, a good percentage would have problems hearing. Although our minds may be "young at heart" sometimes our bodies don't exactly stay in tune.

This is primarily a retirement community, so it goes without question, that VNN should be captioned. It's simply a no brainer.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.