Lovebug Plague!

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2019, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERENITY52 View Post
Baby oil in a white bowl
As I posted earlier in this thread been there, done that. Internet lore. Just because it's "on the internet" (or Facebook) doesn't always make it true. It does work to keep away the elephants for sure though because when I put out my J&J and H2O I didn't see one elephant in my yard. Lot's of Lovebugs but not one elephant.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:58 PM

WD-40 was mentioned as a preventative before driving, I've used silicone spray on the paint surface too.

A solution of baking soda and water sprayed or applied by sponge, let sit for a little while. The solution breaks down the bugs and are easier to clean.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
Those who have lived in Florida most of their life claim that WD40 is actually the best thing to keep love bugs from sticking to their car. The trick is to apply it before! I must admit that I have never tried it.
I've tried it and the bugs come off a little easier but the WD40 also picks up any dirt and sand that comes up off the road.
The best product I've ever used and many motorcyclist use is to spray them with full strength hydrogen peroxide which is only 3%.
Soak them pretty good and watch it fizz. Let them soak for several minutes then they wash off easier. No, it doesn't harm the paint at all.
The big thing though is not to let them sit and bake on the finish too long or nothing makes it easy to remove them.

Tags
thousands, virtually, previous, years, reading

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.