Lovin' it - where, how??

Closed Thread
Old 09-23-2018, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts
Default Lovin' it - where, how??

So, I'm sitting in a spacious 3-bedroom villa in Alden Bungalow right now. If it weren't for the carpeting and the layout of the master bathroom I'd love it.

My criteria: either no carpeting, or the place has to be inexpensive enough that ripping out existing carpeting and replacing it with tile and laminate would still keep us under budget.

Established neighborhood, established atmosphere. Meaning - fewer palms, more oaks and pines. Real shade trees, even if they're not on my property. I want to be able to look up and see a tree, somewhere close.

I don't need a walled-in home, so CYV isn't necessary. However I do want -some- semblance of privacy. A few shrubs between the lanai and the yard of the neighbor behind us. Or a trellis with vines climbing it. Or - something attractive.

Considering those things, which I consider deal-breakers, I was thinking this:

I'm besotted with Spanish Springs, and spouse loves the area between Buena Vista and Morse, near Sumter Landing. We've narrowed it down, for all intents and purposes, to north of 466 and east of Buena Vista Blvd.

We will be looking at the option our lovely Agent Rhod Souter suggested: to keep an eye on the old manufactured homes (mostly in Orange Blossom but possibly Cortez too?) that TV is buying up and tearing down, building new homes on the razed homesites.

That way we can get the benefits of a new home (warranty, larger rooms, more garage space, more storage, and custom-selecting NO CARPET!!!) with the benefits of the older section (landscaping, oak trees, the more "established and settled" neighborhoods, somewhat less strict deed restrictions (I hate tacky flamingos but it'd be nice to know I COULD put one on the front lawn if I really wanted to), NO BOND! Gas stove/range and close proximity to Sumter Landing and Spanish Springs, both of which I find very charming and inviting.

The best part - we could get a brand spankin new home, in an established gorgeous neighborhood, for under $200k.

Are there any serious drawbacks to this idea, that we should consider?
Old 09-23-2018, 06:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,681 Times in 5,231 Posts

I don't see any "serious" drawbacks to your idea. However, you should realize that your neighbors will be older than most of The Villages and you will be paying more for your house than the older houses in your neighborhood are worth. With regard to the flooring, if you are happy with a laminate floor, you can install that type of flooring in any house without spending a lot of money. I would suggest that, if you don't like carpet, to install the same flooring throughout the house - don't mix it up. If you install tile throughout, you will need rugs because, without them, the house will be very noisy.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't see any "serious" drawbacks to your idea. However, you should realize that your neighbors will be older than most of The Villages and you will be paying more for your house than the older houses in your neighborhood are worth. With regard to the flooring, if you are happy with a laminate floor, you can install that type of flooring in any house without spending a lot of money. I would suggest that, if you don't like carpet, to install the same flooring throughout the house - don't mix it up. If you install tile throughout, you will need rugs because, without them, the house will be very noisy.
My entire house is tile..... it doesn't make any noise.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:54 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,336 Times in 1,445 Posts

You most likely would be living in a newly built home with 30 to 35 year old manufactured homes all around you, some well cared for others not so much. Also if it matters to you I would feel that appreciation of the home would be minimal at best. I would be careful wishing to have minimal deed restrictions as that can get out of hand.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
You most likely would be living in a newly built home with 30 to 35 year old manufactured homes all around you, some well cared for others not so much. Also if it matters to you I would feel that appreciation of the home would be minimal at best. I would be careful wishing to have minimal deed restrictions as that can get out of hand.
The home I live in was built in 1958. The home next to mine was built in the early 1800's. The apartments behind my house were built in the early 2000's. Our town hall was built in the 1700's. Our town was chartered in the 1600's.

I'm not concerned at ALL about how old a house is. I'm concerned how well it's built, whether or not it can accommodate our needs.

Next: yup lots of really old people in the trailers. Lots of trailers being razed and new plaster/cement homes going up to replace them. In addition, one would think that the really old folks might enjoy some younger Seniors in their neighborhoods. Youth (as relative as it may be) brings freshness, verve and invigoration by virtue of its existence. Lastly, the older they are, the more likely they are to die, and be replaced by someone younger. Such is the cycle of life. If one of my neighbors is 90, when I'm 60, and the other side of my house has a 55 year old living in it, I'll be fine.

Our house currently sits in front of Senior housing. Almost everyone living there is over 70, many are in their late 80's and early 90's. The rest of our neighborhood is relatively young, new families and their babies, and a few mid-aged families with teens.

Next: I have -never- lived in a community that had strict deed restrictions or HOAs. Our condo association had rules but these were multi-unit buildings, so there wouldn't have been much we could "do" with our homes anyway.

We have a blight committee. If someone is *neglecting* their property, they can be fined and a lien put on their home if necessary, to cover the cost of the town getting the old tires off the front lawn, or pruning the hedges, etc.

We also have a variety of homes; capes, ranches, and our next door neighbor's historic home is a brick colonial with a HUGE pair of gargoyle statues in front of the steps up to their door. They are back lit at night, so their shadows are cast on the walls of the house. It's awesome, and the whole neighborhood loves it.

Each of us puts up fences (or doesn't) based on their desire to have one, and the type they can afford to own. Ours came with one we didn't like, but it was brand new and we we couldn't afford to replace it. So we just left it to fall apart, til we were able to get it replaced with a newer vinyl one that looks more like most of the other fences in the neighborhood. Our next door neighbor (the one with the gargoyles) had a wood fence, custom-carved and absolutely exquisite, but the plows kept knocking pieces of it over so they finally replaced it with vinyl. His is similar to ours, a slightly different color.

There's a tacky flamingo on a lawn in our neighborhood and it adds a touch of whimsy, one of those "oh haha look at that tacky thing, how fun!" things and we have homes that go hog-wild for Christmas and Halloween on their front lawns. I personally have a big plaster tortoise that I uses a planter on my front lawn. The tortoise is realistic looking EXCEPT for the hollowed out area on the top of its shell. It contains a "hens and chicks" plant that turns a beautiful purple in the summer and fall. It is a "landmark" in my neighborhood, people use it when they're giving directions. ("Oh, you'll see my house right across the street from the one with the turtle on the front lawn" for instance. Or "When you see the house with the turtle on the front lawn, take a left at that corner.") When it snows, we move it up to the steps, and then place it on TOP of the snow bank after the plows come, so everyone knows it's still there.

In other words, we have variety, and tons of diversity, and we LIKE that. So if we're going to move to Stepford, we want to live on the side of town that's closest to normal. Even if we can't do a pair of huge back-lit gargoyle statues or a huge turtle planter in the front yard, at least we can see the chritsmas tree lit up down the street for a few hours a night in December.

Last edited by OrangeBlossomBaby; 09-25-2018 at 05:51 AM. Reason: got the name of the plant wrong
Old 09-25-2018, 06:25 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
The home I live in was built in 1958. The home next to mine was built in the early 1800's. The apartments behind my house were built in the early 2000's. Our town hall was built in the 1700's. Our town was chartered in the 1600's.

I'm not concerned at ALL about how old a house is. I'm concerned how well it's built, whether or not it can accommodate our needs.

Next: yup lots of really old people in the trailers. Lots of trailers being razed and new plaster/cement homes going up to replace them. In addition, one would think that the really old folks might enjoy some younger Seniors in their neighborhoods. Youth (as relative as it may be) brings freshness, verve and invigoration by virtue of its existence. Lastly, the older they are, the more likely they are to die, and be replaced by someone younger. Such is the cycle of life. If one of my neighbors is 90, when I'm 60, and the other side of my house has a 55 year old living in it, I'll be fine.

Our house currently sits in front of Senior housing. Almost everyone living there is over 70, many are in their late 80's and early 90's. The rest of our neighborhood is relatively young, new families and their babies, and a few mid-aged families with teens.

Next: I have -never- lived in a community that had strict deed restrictions or HOAs. Our condo association had rules but these were multi-unit buildings, so there wouldn't have been much we could "do" with our homes anyway.

We have a blight committee. If someone is *neglecting* their property, they can be fined and a lien put on their home if necessary, to cover the cost of the town getting the old tires off the front lawn, or pruning the hedges, etc.

We also have a variety of homes; capes, ranches, and our next door neighbor's historic home is a brick colonial with a HUGE pair of gargoyle statues in front of the steps up to their door. They are back lit at night, so their shadows are cast on the walls of the house. It's awesome, and the whole neighborhood loves it.

Each of us puts up fences (or doesn't) based on their desire to have one, and the type they can afford to own. Ours came with one we didn't like, but it was brand new and we we couldn't afford to replace it. So we just left it to fall apart, til we were able to get it replaced with a newer vinyl one that looks more like most of the other fences in the neighborhood. Our next door neighbor (the one with the gargoyles) had a wood fence, custom-carved and absolutely exquisite, but the plows kept knocking pieces of it over so they finally replaced it with vinyl. His is similar to ours, a slightly different color.

There's a tacky flamingo on a lawn in our neighborhood and it adds a touch of whimsy, one of those "oh haha look at that tacky thing, how fun!" things and we have homes that go hog-wild for Christmas and Halloween on their front lawns. I personally have a big plaster tortoise that I uses a planter on my front lawn. The tortoise is realistic looking EXCEPT for the hollowed out area on the top of its shell. It contains a "hens and chicks" plant that turns a beautiful purple in the summer and fall. It is a "landmark" in my neighborhood, people use it when they're giving directions. ("Oh, you'll see my house right across the street from the one with the turtle on the front lawn" for instance. Or "When you see the house with the turtle on the front lawn, take a left at that corner.") When it snows, we move it up to the steps, and then place it on TOP of the snow bank after the plows come, so everyone knows it's still there.

In other words, we have variety, and tons of diversity, and we LIKE that. So if we're going to move to Stepford, we want to live on the side of town that's closest to normal. Even if we can't do a pair of huge back-lit gargoyle statues or a huge turtle planter in the front yard, at least we can see the chritsmas tree lit up down the street for a few hours a night in December.
You sound like fun. I don't believe half of the generalizations people make on here. I totally don't believe that only old folk live in the historic section. I think it is quite nice up there but we chose to live near LSL because it was kind of central to Spanish Springs and Brownwood which was all there was at the time.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,681 Times in 5,231 Posts

You were asking about the drawbacks. Apparently, in your case, there are none.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Last edited by bagboy; 09-25-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:46 AM
Sage

A new home in the "historic section"' looks like your best bet.

Second might be in the village of Caroline, (near LSL).

I don't agree with the statement that only old people live in the "historic section". You will make friends with people from all areas, so that shouldn't be a concern. Some people prefer the "historic section"' as it has less traffic.

PITA's can be found anywhere.

Do you best to avoid them but there are only a few.

You sound like you know what you want so go for it!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 09-25-2018, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

Here is a lovely home in Orange Blossom Hills;Homefinder - The Villages(R) Homes and Villas for Sale

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-25-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Here is a lovely home in Orange Blossom Hills;
Where's the link?

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 09-25-2018, 11:07 AM
Sage

Homefinder - The Villages(R) Homes and Villas for Sale

This is a lovely home in Alhambra.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-25-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:23 AM
Sage

And here are some brand new ones. (Add about 12K in Bond to the price.

Homefinder - The Villages(R) Homes and Villas for Sale

I don't sell homes. I just like to look at them. Love HGTV too.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
This one's not bad at all. The trailer is too small but I loved the hedges in the back yard.

We actually saw a trailer up against the main public road, almost made an offer on it but the timing is all wrong. Plus it had a really horrible lovebug infestation. If those two things hadn't been "true" it would've made a pretty decent "second to last forever home" for us in TV.

I'm glad the timing was off though. I think we'll be able to find better, without having to mortgage, when we're more ready to commit next summer.

We definitely prefer an actual house, if at all possible. If it's a trailer it'd need to be pretty remarkable for us to consider it.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
This one's not bad at all. The trailer is too small but I loved the hedges in the back yard.

We actually saw a trailer up against the main public road, almost made an offer on it but the timing is all wrong. Plus it had a really horrible lovebug infestation. If those two things hadn't been "true" it would've made a pretty decent "second to last forever home" for us in TV.

I'm glad the timing was off though. I think we'll be able to find better, without having to mortgage, when we're more ready to commit next summer.

We definitely prefer an actual house, if at all possible. If it's a trailer it'd need to be pretty remarkable for us to consider it.
Lovebugs don't infest. They "visit" us and die off in about three weeks. Don't bite, just fly united, and die and make a mess with their little bodies.

Tags
established, carpeting, home, homes, landing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.