Low flying Biplane!

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2016, 12:29 PM
Default Low flying Biplane!

There is a red and white biplane that flies over our village (back and forth) quite frequently and sometimes for hours. Today he was very low doing loops and stunts with white smoke coming out the back. He started around 9am this morning and is still going at it at 2:00pm with short breaks in between. I can't believe that the FAA would allow this over such a densely populated area. If something should go wrong he could cause multiple casualties on the ground. Seems like a tragedy waiting to happen!
Old 10-22-2016, 12:59 PM
Veteran member

Why not
Old 10-22-2016, 01:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow View Post
There is a red and white biplane that flies over our village (back and forth) quite frequently and sometimes for hours. Today he was very low doing loops and stunts with white smoke coming out the back. He started around 9am this morning and is still going at it at 2:00pm with short breaks in between. I can't believe that the FAA would allow this over such a densely populated area. If something should go wrong he could cause multiple casualties on the ground. Seems like a tragedy waiting to happen!
Twoplane: is it you? Sounds like and experienced pilot!

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2016, 01:51 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

Well, Met Life just retired Snoopy so perhaps he has moved to TV and it is him practicing up to meet the Red Baron - or perhaps it is the Red Baron since the biplane is red and white.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 10-22-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
I took flying lesson many years ago and I seem to remember there being regulations ab out that kind of flying over densely populated areas.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:38 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

My J-3 Piper Cub is Yellow in color, not a biplane and will producing smoke only when the engine is about to fail. My wife lets me fly with the understanding of “no aerobatics.” With only 65 H.P., the Cub can’t do much except just fly or maybe one loop. The FAA requires everyone to be at an altitude of at least 1,000 feet about densely populated areas. Aerobatics should not be flown over densely populated areas without approval. However, this aircraft might be flying over open fields with the allusion that it is flying overhead.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Well, Met Life just retired Snoopy so perhaps he has moved to TV and it is him practicing up to meet the Red Baron - or perhaps it is the Red Baron since the biplane is red and white.
almost spit Pepsi across the room laughing so hard
Old 10-22-2016, 06:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

FAA part 91, section 119 - Flying over congested areas of a city, town or settlement is not lower than 1000' and over other than congested areas not less than 500' and over sparsely populated and water you may go lower but not within 500' of a vessel or person. This does not include during takeoff and landing.

I saw him about 1:30 while I was on Havana Golf Course, he was skywriting. Looked like he was trying to make a shark, but the wind was too strong for it to last. It looked like a Pitts bi-plane. I don't believe he was less than 500'. If you had his tail number you could report him to the FAA, they would probably ask him if he was less than 500'.

FAR Part 91.119: Minimum safe altitudes: General -- FAA FARS, 14 CFR

The Villages Florida
Old 10-22-2016, 06:53 PM
Sage

I watched him for quite awhile. I don't believe he was below his minimum either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2016, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

We were sprucing up the front of Casa de Nucky around 6pm tonight when a yellow single engine plane passed over our ranch. The plane was flying low but was moving along very resposibly. I mooned the plane so if it was anyone we know they would report it if they survived the full moon.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
The red biplane is mine. I fly over my neighborhood enroute to my aerobatic practice area 10 miles NE of The Villages while the engine warms up. Im usually overhead for 2-3 minutes, my total flight time is normally 25-35 minutes from take off to landing. I dont fly back and forth over The Villages for hours.how boring would that be!!

For example, on Oct 22 the post said I started at 9:00.. still at it at 2:00, was actually two flights, one in the morning that lasted 32 min and 54 seconds, of which 4 min and 40 seconds was over The Villages where I was trying to skywrite a heart for my wife. The second flight (it was such a beautiful day I just had to go again) lasted 29 min and 32 seconds of which 4 min and 9 seconds was over The Villages. So, not 5 hours overhead, but only two periods of 4 minutes each.

I video every flight I take with a GoPro camera mounted on the airplane and I archive the videos. My altimeter is visible in the video, and its easy to see that Im always above 1000 feet and NEVER do aerobatics over The Villages. Noneever.no loops, no inverted flight. I always comply with FAA regulations. Easy to see on the videos. Also easy to see are the aerobatics I do over my practice area, near the national forest to the northeast.barrel rolls, aileron rolls, slow rolls, 4-point rolls, snap rolls, loops, loops with a roll on top, hammerheads, hammerheads with vertical rolls, immelmans, split Ss, Cuban 8s and a few other fun things.

I do apologize to anyone whose peace I may have disturbed, Perhaps Ill do most of my warm up time somewhere else, I know the airplane is noisy. However, I cant let the exaggerations and accusations go unanswered.but Im not entering into an online debate.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:19 PM
Platinum member
Smile Jealous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndc View Post
The red biplane is mine. I fly over my neighborhood enroute to my aerobatic practice area 10 miles NE of The Villages while the engine warms up. Im usually overhead for 2-3 minutes, my total flight time is normally 25-35 minutes from take off to landing. I dont fly back and forth over The Villages for hours.how boring would that be!!
I can't tell you how jealous I am. I love to fly. I was a flying observer in L-19 Birddog fixed wing and H-13 Sioux helicopters in the National Guard in the 1960s; I flew in various police helicopters for security purposes when in the Secret Service; I flew as the Tactical Flying Officer (observer) (helicopters) in my Sheriff's Office Aviation Unit; and I flew by myself in various Piper and Cessnas, as well as a couple of times in Taylorcraft tail draggers.

My current physical condition prevents me from climbing into a light aircraft and I really miss it.

Incidentally, I can't think of any populated area where it would be safer to fly over than The Villages. In case of engine failure there would be dozens and dozens of alternative landing sites, with absolutely no above ground wires. They call them golf courses.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndc View Post
I do apologize to anyone whose peace I may have disturbed, Perhaps Ill do most of my warm up time somewhere else, I know the airplane is noisy. However, I cant let the exaggerations and accusations go unanswered.but Im not entering into an online debate.
Hey John, you can fly over my house every day, I'd enjoy it. I use to live in W. Boca Raton Florida and a world class stunt pilot who lived just west of me was given an area to practice in, that was not populated slightly to my south and I'd watch him almost every day practicing for a national competition. I knew this from reading newspaper articles on him. His was not a biplane but I liked when he'd climb, cut his engine and fall, then restart it.
Glad you're having a ball.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:31 PM
Default Thanks for the show"

John, please keep flying above The Villages! It is a thrill to watch you and the show is free. Unfortunately, some people here will complain about almost anything a bit different from their routine.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:52 PM

John, I saw you making the heart in the sky yesterday. I called my husband to lsee it. We thought it was a possible marriage proposal for someone. I loved what you did for your wife. So sweet.
Closed Thread

Tags
back, low, white, biplane, area

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.