Lower Sales

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2015, 09:27 PM
Veteran member

Quite right! The value of anything is what a buyer is willing to pay. Next time I will buy pre owned now that I know what it really costs for a new home, decent landscaping, decor, paint, draperies, yadda yadda add another 30k minimum. I spent much more. If I had it to do over... Aaah However I have the best neighbors ever and they are worth millions to me.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:42 PM
Platinum member

The Villages has the obvious advantages, such as activities, safety, resturants, shopping, etc.......but as far as housing goes, I think the very biggest advantage to buying in the Villages is that it is a guaranteed investment. If you keep it until you go to your heavenly home, your children will have no trouble selling. Nowhere else in florida are the sales so consistent. In most of the state, the sales are quite stagnant, but if you can afford to buy here in TV, you will always get your investment back.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:04 PM
Gold member

The increases in prices are attracting a more upscale buyer. notice the increases In prices on several of the new Country Club Restaurants. Havana has also become more upscale. The Villages is now attracting buyers able to afford the higher prices. This process has been evolving since construction started south of 466. Another factor of course is the LOwer mortgage rates. The same monthly payment is possible with a higher priced home. Do the Math.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I think they learned their lesson from having build street after street of spec homes.
Take a ride down Hillsborough Trail as an example, and you will see what I mean.
They made some really terrible choices in their decorating or should I say the lack of it.
Where did they find these people who made those choices?
After looking at a bunch of preowned homes that people finished to their taste we bought a spec home in Hillsborough because it was more bang for our buck, and very well appointed. Do you think who you are insulting befor you post? Homes in Hillsborough have sold quite well, and by the way, they rent VERY well.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 02-17-2015, 11:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Do you have an engineering background to make that statement? Jyst what do you mean by AVERAGE? Do you Own a home here?
I have an engineering degree and have owned many homes over the years. I have also supervised the building of commercial structures. The concrete and stucco home I bought here is very good construction. It appears the builders have learned how to build a good home for the climate and area. I felt I got a very well built home at a good price which is why I bought. I was especially impressed with the HVAC and hot water setup. The only complaint is not enough switched outlets in the bedrooms! I think some people have a very negative attitude and should take it back to the Northeast. Btw, it is rented next year already for a very nice price.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 02-18-2015, 12:13 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,299 Times in 536 Posts
Default After Market Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
I have seen other posts where people say that upgrades are cheaper after market rather than purchasing thru the Developer.
I had a good friend tell me the same before we purchased our first home in TV. By the way, we are moving soon into our 4th. As a general rule, upgrades are cheaper after market rather than purchasing them thru the builder.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
It appears the builders have learned how to build a good home for the climate and area. I felt I got a very well built home at a good price which is why I bought. I was especially impressed with the HVAC and hot water setup.
Perhaps I'm getting somewhat off the subject of this thread, but here goes. I mean no disrespect to you Packer Fan (Go Pack - I too am a member of the Packer Nation) or to the quality of the homes being built in The Villages, but I'm intrigued by the above quote. You have an engineering degree and commercial construction experience in what I assume is Wisconsin, and I have plumbing contractor, master plumber, and journeyman plumber licenses in Minnesota, and a journeyman plumber license in Wisconsin (I was born and raised in Racine, WI). I have experience in residential, commercial and light industrial construction, but obviously my expertise is in plumbing. Over the years of visiting The Villages I've visited numerous jobsites during different phases of construction. I like their choices of Kohler elongated comfort height toilets and Kohler/Sterling fixtures, and Delta faucets. But I question the use of primer/glue cpvc (as opposed to pex) water piping under the slab, plastic push on supply stops, etc. I think the quality of the homes is good but not extraordinary. Like anywhere else in the country, the developer and the construction companies cut costs wherever they can. Unfortunately it's sometimes to the detriment of the homeowner. Just my opinion...

Racine, WI
Elk River, MN
not there yet, but we're working on it - The Villages, FL
Old 02-18-2015, 12:16 AM
Gold member

Bonanza has not answered the question of whether or not she lives in TV.

Last edited by villagerjack; 02-18-2015 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Change
Old 02-18-2015, 02:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I think they learned their lesson from having built street after street of spec homes.
Take a ride down Hillsborough Trail as an example, and you will see what I mean.
They made some really terrible choices in their decorating or should I say the lack of it.
Where did they find these people who made those choices?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
After looking at a bunch of preowned homes that people finished to their taste we bought a spec home in Hillsborough because it was more bang for our buck, and very well appointed. Do you think who you are insulting befor you post? Homes in Hillsborough have sold quite well, and by the way, they rent VERY well.
The topic has nothing to do with rentals and I don't know why you brought that up. It has nothing to do with anything.

I am not insulting anyone in my post, but if the shoe fits . . .

Some homes on Hillsborough Trail may have sold, but the amount of unsold homes tells you that building of all the spec homes did not work. They are sitting unsold and Hillsborough Trail is not the only area where this is true. Once again they are letting people make choices because all the spec houses they built are not selling as well as they thought.

If the truth be known, you get more bang for your buck when you buy a resale. I'm not speaking about the people who think they are sitting on a pot of gold. I'm speaking about homes being well priced at market value, which would include upgrades that appeal to most buyers.

The resales you looked at were probably just not your taste. Or perhaps you couldn't see beyond the way those homeowners furnished their property. Many people don't have the ability to do that and perhaps you are one of them.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nelson View Post
The quality of construction is IMHO substandard. .
How so? explain exactly what you saw please
Old 02-18-2015, 05:42 AM
Veteran member
Default crowded

Windows for one. TV homes are too close together. I'd not buy a TV home with a hand shake neighbor on both sides, a street in front and a neighbor so close behind you can share a grill.
Quote:
The quality of construction is IMHO substandard. We're renting in a totally gated upscale development near Sarasota where the homes all have tiled roofs and much more elbow room than the Villages. We went to an open house of 3900 sq/ft that was listed at @299,000..but no pool.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Windows for one. TV homes are too close together. I'd not buy a TV home with a hand shake neighbor on both sides, a street in front and a neighbor so close behind you can share a grill.
that can be resolved, get a bigger lot.

pick a lot w/o kissing lanai's

there are plenty of both
Old 02-18-2015, 06:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I'd have to agree with you on the windows. The windows here don't seem very soundproof compared to the windows we had up north. And everyone would agree that the homes are too close together. Not everyone wants to spend the huge premiums that private larger lots command. That said, we made the compromise because the Villages offers things that other retirement communities don't. It was a tradeoff for us. We are fortunate that our neighbors all enclosed their lanai's. We planted a lot of landscaping in the back and have privacy visually and sound wise. Our neighbors next door are quiet, and we live on a quiet street. You can make it work, but its the luck of the draw on the neighbors.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I like the windows, and I like the attitude and mindset of the majority of the people who live here. The ones who like The Daily Sun. The ones like back home, The ones that made this great country what it is today. Ordinary, hard working, saving people who are careful with their money and generous with their hearts and their time. Sneaky people who do good things without broadcasting them. Folks who really don't want big yards to care for anymore and like homes all on one floor.

Yep. I am pretty crazy about the windows and I like the quality of the workmanship. And this isn't my first new home in my life. We like new, but used are nice too. But new ones and used ones cost the same

Good morning everyone. It is a coolish day in The Villages, but the sun will shine just as soon as it comes up..
Old 02-18-2015, 06:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
I'd have to agree with you on the windows. The windows here don't seem very soundproof .
How can windows be sound proof?

They are double glazed standard windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Good morning everyone. It is a coolish day in The Villages, but the sun will shine just as soon as it comes up..
The sun is like clockwork Gracie
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.