Lower Sales

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2015, 07:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The use of CPVC under the slab is pretty typical in the south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Favorite Plumber View Post
Perhaps I'm getting somewhat off the subject of this thread, but here goes. I mean no disrespect to you Packer Fan (Go Pack - I too am a member of the Packer Nation) or to the quality of the homes being built in The Villages, but I'm intrigued by the above quote. You have an engineering degree and commercial construction experience in what I assume is Wisconsin, and I have plumbing contractor, master plumber, and journeyman plumber licenses in Minnesota, and a journeyman plumber license in Wisconsin (I was born and raised in Racine, WI). I have experience in residential, commercial and light industrial construction, but obviously my expertise is in plumbing. Over the years of visiting The Villages I've visited numerous jobsites during different phases of construction. I like their choices of Kohler elongated comfort height toilets and Kohler/Sterling fixtures, and Delta faucets. But I question the use of primer/glue cpvc (as opposed to pex) water piping under the slab, plastic push on supply stops, etc. I think the quality of the homes is good but not extraordinary. Like anywhere else in the country, the developer and the construction companies cut costs wherever they can. Unfortunately it's sometimes to the detriment of the homeowner. Just my opinion...
Old 02-18-2015, 07:25 AM
Sage

that's correct, but I'm surprised they don't use Pex I think it's better & less expensive.

Also they don't use primer on the fittings just glue
Old 02-18-2015, 08:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
How can windows be sound proof?
They are double glazed standard windows?
Sorry, I misspoke - should have referred to sound reduction. Some windows do not transmit outside sound as well as other windows. It refers to the STC value (Sound Transmission Class) of the windows - directly relating to thickness of glass and airspace in the windows, and how airtight they are. Typically the STC of double paned windows has a range of 26-32. You can buy "soundproof" windows that typically have much higher STC values. I have spoken with other people that commented that the windows here seem to transmit sound more easily than what we had up north. I don't know if it is the windows themselves, or the method of installation. I suppose if one is hard of hearing, as are many of us at this age, it wouldn't be a big deal one way or another. But not everyone has hearing loss. I personally have pretty sensitive hearing and have noticed the difference from our Anderson windows up north.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:22 AM
Sage
Default Lower Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nelson View Post
The quality of construction is IMHO substandard...
Quote:
...TV homes are too close together...
Very subjective.

You are entitled to your preferences like everybody. Of course you can find bigger lots in many places (even in TV, as has been pointed out). But similar spacing as in TV is not uncommon by any means. And it certainly is not a criterion for judging quality of construction.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:51 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default Small lots are better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Very subjective.

You are entitled to your preferences like everybody. Of course you can find bigger lots in many places (even in TV, as has been pointed out). But similar spacing as in TV is not uncommon by any means. And it certainly is not a criterion for judging quality of construction.
In Florida we find smaller lots are better for a number of reasons, but primarily because of the necessity of watering your yard and cost of land. Water, as we know, has become precious and very costly.

The Developer is no longer building the "neighborhood patio villas" and they sold very quickly in TV. I have no idea why but I'm sure there was a reason. This also brought total new sales down.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
TV homes are too close together. I'd not buy a TV home with a hand shake neighbor on both sides, a street in front and a neighbor so close behind you can share a grill.
We live in The Villages and our home has lots of privacy.
There are many homes available in mature areas which offer golf course or preserve views.
That's one of the greatest things about The Villages.
There is every type of home imaginable to suit every need.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Favorite Plumber View Post
Perhaps I'm getting somewhat off the subject of this thread, but here goes. I mean no disrespect to you Packer Fan (Go Pack - I too am a member of the Packer Nation) or to the quality of the homes being built in The Villages, but I'm intrigued by the above quote. You have an engineering degree and commercial construction experience in what I assume is Wisconsin, and I have plumbing contractor, master plumber, and journeyman plumber licenses in Minnesota, and a journeyman plumber license in Wisconsin (I was born and raised in Racine, WI). I have experience in residential, commercial and light industrial construction, but obviously my expertise is in plumbing. Over the years of visiting The Villages I've visited numerous jobsites during different phases of construction. I like their choices of Kohler elongated comfort height toilets and Kohler/Sterling fixtures, and Delta faucets. But I question the use of primer/glue cpvc (as opposed to pex) water piping under the slab, plastic push on supply stops, etc. I think the quality of the homes is good but not extraordinary. Like anywhere else in the country, the developer and the construction companies cut costs wherever they can. Unfortunately it's sometimes to the detriment of the homeowner. Just my opinion...
Several things - I was not aware what they used for piping under the slab. However, I like the plastic push on the supply stops - I have the same thing in my condo in Milwaukee- I know it seems cheap, but it works great- I had to pull the toilet to put in a new floor and it was zip zip with no wet floor like the old type of metal stops. However, I was thinking more of the arrangements of where and how they do the HVAC, as well as the windows and lack of gutters. The windows are simple, have the low E coating on the outside of the inside pane to keep sun and heat OUT, and have really good drainage to deal with the downpours. Same thing with lack of gutters. With the downpours in the area, I would be concerned that water would splash up from the gutters and get under the shingles and eventually start leaks. With the lack of basements and the sand around the houses, gutters are not only unnecessary but detrimental in my opinion. Seems like the general quality is good- finishes on the concrete, drywall, etc..

The fact that they obviously did a deep cleaning after construction and before we moved in shows the attention to detail. I was very impressed with my builder walkthru - they guy has been building houses in the villages for 15 years and really knew his stuff.

Ed
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 02-18-2015, 01:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
I'd have to agree with you on the windows. The windows here don't seem very soundproof compared to the windows we had up north. And everyone would agree that the homes are too close together. Not everyone wants to spend the huge premiums that private larger lots command. That said, we made the compromise because the Villages offers things that other retirement communities don't. It was a tradeoff for us. We are fortunate that our neighbors all enclosed their lanai's. We planted a lot of landscaping in the back and have privacy visually and sound wise. Our neighbors next door are quiet, and we live on a quiet street. You can make it work, but its the luck of the draw on the neighbors.

A Casement window like we have up North would not last 5 years in Florida - they are not built for the heat, humidity, or the rain downpours. A different solution for a different set of problems. You would have mold and other problems building up inside the cases in no time with a Northern style window.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I am not insulting anyone in my post, but if the shoe fits . . .

Some homes on Hillsborough Trail may have sold, but the amount of unsold homes tells you that building of all the spec homes did not work. They are sitting unsold and Hillsborough Trail is not the only area where this is true. Once again they are letting people make choices because all the spec houses they built are not selling as well as they thought.

If the truth be known, you get more bang for your buck when you buy a resale. I'm not speaking about the people who think they are sitting on a pot of gold. I'm speaking about homes being well priced at market value, which would include upgrades that appeal to most buyers.

The resales you looked at were probably just not your taste. Or perhaps you couldn't see beyond the way those homeowners furnished their property. Many people don't have the ability to do that and perhaps you are one of them.
Where are you getting your statistics on what is selling and what is not? I hear a lot of opinion.. And the house I bought is in Hillsborough, but not on the trail. I personally think the reason the houses on the main drag don't sell fast is the Lanai's are on a busy road- I am sure they have problems selling all the ones like that - it has nothing to do with being a spec home.

The other houses in Hillsborough have sold very briskly.

As far as a resale versus new- everywhere else I have been, I would agree with you totally. However, we did our homework and bought new. It was the best deal for what I got - period. I could have bought a resale with about the same stuff for $20,000 more, but with no Warranty. My second choice was a new house too. To be honest, the landscaping is good with Florida centric shrubs, etc. The only thing I needed to do that I would have had in a resale was window treatments that I had put in for $1600 from one of the sponsers on this site. I also added a few towel bars (about $200 total). I also had to buy a washer and dryer, and we got what we wanted. Other than that, there might be wants, but not needs...

My 2 cents, and we love the villages. If you don't, I am sure there are houses available elsewhere.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
The windows are simple, have the low E coating on the outside of the inside pane to keep sun and heat OUT,
the correct way solar glass is made is with the coating is on the INSIDE of the interior glass see the Cardinal glass web site.

Quote:
With the downpours in the area, I would be concerned that water would splash up from the gutters and get under the shingles and eventually start leaks. With the lack of basements and the sand around the houses, gutters are not only unnecessary but detrimental in my opinion. Seems like the general quality is good- finishes on the concrete, drywall, etc.
Water really can't get under the shingles there is a starter course and a drip rail. I have never heard of a problem here.

As far as gutters (which cost only a $1 a foot) is don't install them if you want the edge of your slab to get saturated along with the sod or plant beds touching same............if you don't install them the termites will thank you over and over again.

You need to move water away from the foundation avoid that moisture.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
I could have bought a resale with about the same stuff for $20,000 more, but with no Warranty.
Not so much the warranty try get full sink hole insurance on a resale I've been told impossible.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I had a good friend tell me the same before we purchased our first home in TV. By the way, we are moving soon into our 4th. As a general rule, upgrades are cheaper after market rather than purchasing them thru the builder.
Based on what we saw I agree- they seem to mark up fancy counters and fixtures a lot.... We bought a more basically appointed home, I can do the upgrades cheaper when I want to, and get exactly what I want. To be honest Granite countertops are overrated anyway -the new high res laminate is pretty nice stuff.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I like the windows, and I like the attitude and mindset of the majority of the people who live here. The ones who like The Daily Sun. The ones like back home, The ones that made this great country what it is today. Ordinary, hard working, saving people who are careful with their money and generous with their hearts and their time. Sneaky people who do good things without broadcasting them. Folks who really don't want big yards to care for anymore and like homes all on one floor.

Yep. I am pretty crazy about the windows and I like the quality of the workmanship. And this isn't my first new home in my life. We like new, but used are nice too. But new ones and used ones cost the same

Good morning everyone. It is a coolish day in The Villages, but the sun will shine just as soon as it comes up..

I agree completely - we need more like Graciegirl
Old 02-18-2015, 02:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I have an engineering degree and have owned many homes over the years. I have also supervised the building of commercial structures. The concrete and stucco home I bought here is very good construction. It appears the builders have learned how to build a good home for the climate and area. I felt I got a very well built home at a good price which is why I bought. I was especially impressed with the HVAC and hot water setup. The only complaint is not enough switched outlets in the bedrooms! I think some people have a very negative attitude and should take it back to the Northeast. Btw, it is rented next year already for a very nice price.
Clarify please... Do you mean "Formed and Poured" Concrete exterior walls or Block exterior walls?
Old 02-18-2015, 02:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Regarding the HVAC, I think they could have done better for a small incremental cost. They could have installed air handlers with variable speed fans - next Carrier model up - and they could have used hard ducts instead of flex ducts. Also, they could have used roof sheathing with a built in radiant barrier - small incremental cost. They installed a builder grade hot water heater. For a small incremental cost they could have installed a Marathon water heater, which will last much longer. There is nothing wrong with what they did but for small incremental costs they could have done much better in a number of areas.

Quote:
I have an engineering degree and have owned many homes over the years. I have also supervised the building of commercial structures. The concrete and stucco home I bought here is very good construction. It appears the builders have learned how to build a good home for the climate and area. I felt I got a very well built home at a good price which is why I bought. I was especially impressed with the HVAC and hot water setup. The only complaint is not enough switched outlets in the bedrooms! I think some people have a very negative attitude and should take it back to the Northeast. Btw, it is rented next year already for a very nice price.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.