Lower Sales

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2015, 05:06 PM
Platinum member

I bought my new CYV in 2012 for $219,000. Sold it exactly one yr later for $47,000 more. It sold 6 months later for $19,000 more. It is now again on the market (8 months later) for another $14,000 more.

So....I'd say it is a sellers market and deffinetly not so great for those wanting to buy here. I do feel that if sales are down its because the prices are up way too high.....but, it's The Villages, and they will sell.....probably not to me. The prices are too high for the quality you are receiving......just my own opinion.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:15 PM
Sage

Village Homes are at a premium, a house can be had anywhere.

The Villages Florida
Old 02-17-2015, 06:18 PM

lots of reasons. one is, people that are looking for homes now. Are finding that the prices are just too high for florida. Yes I know that the village is a great place, I live here also. However the village has reached a price point that is simple beyond what the homes are worth. No matter what people think, there is a limit on price.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:26 PM
Veteran member

The quality of construction is IMHO substandard. We're renting in a totally gated upscale development near Sarasota where the homes all have tiled roofs and much more elbow room than the Villages. We went to an open house of 3900 sq/ft that was listed at @299,000..but no pool.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:04 PM
Gold member

The Plantations of Leesburg, 20 minutes to Brownwood.,

stucco home, in Nottoway
3bed 2 bath, 2800sq ft
formal living room and dining room, plus den, eat in kitchen
jaquzzi soaking tub in master,
quality built with a 2 car garage
directly on golf course, 14 fairway.

roving security with a true gated community

HOA $86 for the past 8 years, no bonds or maintance fees

3 pools with hot tubs, 3 clubhouses with workout rooms, 2 golf courses and a resturant.
internal golf cart community,
built in 2005, i think.....
for sale $280 .....my neighbors house...

Tell me you can get that in the Villages...?

I also own in the villages, but the overcrowding caused me to rent the home and choose the plantations for my residence.

Last edited by kstew43; 02-17-2015 at 07:10 PM. Reason: adding more information
Old 02-17-2015, 07:09 PM
Location: New Hampshire, now Heathrow on Lake Deaton Preserve.

I must admit that I agree with those who said the prices are way too high. Fortunately, we bought our home at the right time. After 2012, prices soared and now they are absurdly high, especially on preowned homes. Prospective buyers can easily research how much an individual paid for the home and know how inflated the asking price is. I believe that is the reason that the new homes are so heavily discounted. We all would like to know that we made a sound investment but the market will not bear these prices and the greed could bite us in the end.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
...No matter what people think, there is a limit on price.
The only limit is when people will no longer pay it.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
lots of reasons. one is, people that are looking for homes now. Are finding that the prices are just too high for florida. Yes I know that the village is a great place, I live here also. However the village has reached a price point that is simple beyond what the homes are worth. No matter what people think, there is a limit on price.
not as long as there are enough people to pay the price....and there obviously is.

What something is worth is in the eye of the beholder. How many here are driving 60 thousand dollar cars? Quite a few. But is it worth it when you can do the same thing in a $25,000 car. It is ALL relative.

I don't think there is a home in TV "worth" one million Plus dollars, but there are a lot of them and they do sell all of them!!!
Old 02-17-2015, 07:31 PM
Veteran member

One pays a premium for a house in TV. We looked at Stonecrest and for the same money we would have had a far nicer house. That said, Stonecrest only has a fraction of what TV has to offer (the only amenity they had that we thought was nicer was the indoor pool). It is up to the individual just like everything else. We are very happy with our decision to live in TV.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
The Plantations of Leesburg, 20 minutes to Brownwood.,

stucco home, in Nottoway
3bed 2 bath, 2800sq ft
formal living room and dining room, plus den, eat in kitchen
jaquzzi soaking tub in master,
quality built with a 2 car garage
directly on golf course, 14 fairway.

roving security with a true gated community

HOA $86 for the past 8 years, no bonds or maintance fees

3 pools with hot tubs, 3 clubhouses with workout rooms, 2 golf courses and a resturant.
internal golf cart community,
built in 2005, i think.....
for sale $280 .....my neighbors house...

Tell me you can get that in the Villages...?

I also own in the villages, but the overcrowding caused me to rent the home and choose the plantations for my residence.

My wife and I bought in the Villages because of all it offers, more than any

other 55+ community. Before we purchased we looked at the communities

in Leesburg, one of them being The Plantations. It was not for us, to far to

go for shopping, nothing accessible by golf cart out side the community.

My wife's point was, as we age we need the ability to get around and have

access to shopping, medical facilities ( Doctors, Dentists, Clinics, Hospital).

There's more to a community than the price of a house or how many golf

courses, but I'm pleased you found what you wanted and hope it works out

for you. I am very happy we chose the Villages and would not trade it for

any other.

community/
Old 02-17-2015, 07:56 PM

Perhaps the lower sales has more to do with their decision 18 months earlier to do away with the "Pick your home" "Pick your site" and "Pick your final finishes" to prebuilt inventory homes only. They reversed that decision a few months ago to address the lower sales issue and customer disappointment in the lack of a selection process. Some of the homes were pretty bland looking to say the least. The heavily discounted homes were the ones that seemed to garner the least amount of attention.

I'm sure things will start picking up again soon.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:24 PM
Sage

When someone looks at the purchase price and there is a much higher price a couple years later, it is because of all the add ons. Houses don't even come with stairs to the attic so you start with the add ons on day one. Driveways, pools or jacuzzis, birdcages, patios, outdoor kitchens, landscaping, moulding, gutters, back splashes, closets, etc., etc. So prices are higher on resales because of the improvements not just appreciation. Anyone buying a new home versus a resale should figure they will be spending a considerable amount to "finish" the house.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
No matter what people think, there is a limit on price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
The only limit is when people will no longer pay it.
Home sales in The Villages are the envy of most communities.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Don't confuse the quality of the construction with square footage. There is nothing substandard about the construction in The Villages. You can make a case that you will get more square footage elsewhere. If all you are looking for is the most square footage for your dollar then you should look elsewhere. Home prices reflect supply and demand. You can spend much more money for a small, 50 year old house in Silicon Valley because people want to live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nelson View Post
The quality of construction is IMHO substandard. We're renting in a totally gated upscale development near Sarasota where the homes all have tiled roofs and much more elbow room than the Villages. We went to an open house of 3900 sq/ft that was listed at @299,000..but no pool.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:13 PM

Property is worth exactly what somebody is willing to pay for it. If you're a property owner in The Villages, then the rising prices are good for you. It means that your investment is appreciating. However every time property values rise in The Villages, less and less people can afford to buy there, thus another possible factor in the lower sales numbers. Statistics show that while the economy slowly continues to improve, wages continue to be flat. The labor participation rate is about 62%, which means approximately 93 million Americans are not working, and 6.5 million (of the 93 million) people want to work, but don't have jobs. I've worked in the construction industry my entire life, but I haven't had a permanent full time job since 2006. When you're not working, you're usually not socking away money for your retirement. My wife and I want to buy a property and move to The Villages someday, but that's at least a couple of years out. I don't even bother looking at the prices of the new homes in The Villages, because I think you get the most bang for your buck with a preowned home. But if home prices continue to rise at the pace they have been, we're going to be priced out of the market. At that point, we may have to buy outside of The Villages and be regular visitors, or possibly buy in an other state.

Racine, WI
Elk River, MN
not there yet, but we're working on it - The Villages, FL
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.