lowering tv avg age ?

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2020, 07:33 PM

Included in the Federal Law is age restriction that children under age 19 cannot live in a 55+ community. Therefore the Developer is illegally allowing (by default) children to stay over the stated 30 days. I and others don't know how they get away with it. Since enforcement of this age restriction is "at the discretion of the Developer" his obligation is lacking. I wish I could determine following rules and laws at my discretion--what a great way to live! I suppose I just don't have enough money to do what I want without repercussion.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,467 Times in 3,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRetired View Post
Included in the Federal Law is age restriction that children under age 19 cannot live in a 55+ community. Therefore the Developer is illegally allowing (by default) children to stay over the stated 30 days. I and others don't know how they get away with it. Since enforcement of this age restriction is "at the discretion of the Developer" his obligation is lacking. I wish I could determine following rules and laws at my discretion--what a great way to live! I suppose I just don't have enough money to do what I want without repercussion.
That is incorrect. The minimum age is at the community's discretion. As long as 80% of the properties are occupied by at least one person 55 or older, it is in compliance with the Housing for Older Person's Act. Some communities allow kids, some restrict it to over 30. The Villages allows people 19 or older, plus they have isolated villages set aside for families with younger kids, that are near the Villages, and a couple nested within the Villages, but are not actually part of the Villages.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:31 PM
John41

Quote:
Not all Senior Communities are age restricted, they just have to follow the 80/20 rule. But, the The Villages is marketed as an age restricted community and the developer would be in breach of contract if he tried to allow under 18 children.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I have been here since 2007 and have not seen this rule breached. It is not at the discretion of the developer, it is part of Federal guidelines for age restricted communities.

If you know someone who is not following this rule, turn them in. Money or lack of it on your part has NOTHING to do with it.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,467 Times in 3,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have been here since 2007 and have not seen this rule breached. It is not at the discretion of the developer, it is part of Federal guidelines for age restricted communities.

If you know someone who is not following this rule, turn them in. Money or lack of it on your part has NOTHING to do with it.
No, it is not part of "Federal guidelines." There is an actual law (not a guideline), called the Housing for Older Persons Act, aka HOPA.

Here is the official documentation of the Act, with questions and answers, directly from the US Department of Housing and Urban Development:

The Fair Housing Act: Housing for Older Persons | HUD.gov / U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

https://www.hud.gov/sites/documents/DOC_7769.PDF

And an archived page originating at 55places.com that explains it to the layman, dated 2005 (before you moved to the Villages) is here:

Housing for Older Persons Act of 1995 - Age-Restricted Housing Laws

The 19-year-old restriction is arbitrary, not federally mandated, and at the discretion of each community. It could be 20, or 18, or 32-and-three-months. As long as one person in each of a minimum of 80% of all homes in the community is 55 years old or older, it satisfies the "55+" designation.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:25 PM
John41

Quote:

We have been here since 2006 and have not seen the developer sell to families with young
children either because
TV is marketed as an age restricted community and he would be in breach of contract. There are, however, senior 55+ communities that allow children per their original documents.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:39 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
We have been here since 2006 and have not seen the developer sell to families with young
children either because
TV is marketed as an age restricted community and he would be in breach of contract. There are, however, senior 55+ communities that allow children per their original documents.
Well it seems then hat you guys are not aware of the family with a young man who is confined to his wheelchair and is a resident there! I'd bet there are other underage kids there who also share physical/mental challenges and resident status, too! And didja know that besides the exceptions for kids - there are exceptions re the number of pets one can initially have in TV?

Old 10-17-2020, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Seems everyone interprets the law to suit their ideas. Since I don't believe anyone here is a lawyer that has a specialty or has the in depth knowledge of compliance (wait, I forgot the internet lawyers) it's mostly Villagers being Villagers .

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-17-2020, 10:30 AM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Well it seems then hat you guys are not aware of the family with a young man who is confined to his wheelchair and is a resident there! I'd bet there are other underage kids there who also share physical/mental challenges and resident status, too! And didja know that besides the exceptions for kids - there are exceptions re the number of pets one can initially have in TV?
yes there is an exception for disabled children who must live with their parents but that is few in number compared to the developer selling to families with small children which would not be allowed as this is an age restricted community per the documents.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFER54 View Post
I read the ************* and at least once a week there is an article about a criminal act by a younger person living with their elderly parents in The Villages. They have either been arrested for DUI’s, drugs, larceny, violence, etc. I presume that they are here to take care of their elderly parents, but it seems that they’re just sponging off them and sadly in some cases even attack their parents. This is marketed as an ADULT COMMUNITY, and obviously there are children here who sincerely help and take care of their parents, but allowing more younger people to take up residence in The Villages will not be beneficial to those who came here, bought here and paid for this way of life in our retirement years.
All people over the age of 19 are allowed to live here as long as 80% of the homes are occupied by at least one person over the age of 55. That means that 20% of the homes can be occupied solely by people between the ages of 19 and 55 and that people people between the ages of 19 and 55 can legally live here as long as there is one person in the home over the age of 55.

That is the federal law. There is nothing that The Villages can do about it. It has been this way since The Villages was founded in 1985. It is nothing new.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
No, it is not part of "Federal guidelines." There is an actual law (not a guideline), called the Housing for Older Persons Act, aka HOPA.

Here is the official documentation of the Act, with questions and answers, directly from the US Department of Housing and Urban Development:

The Fair Housing Act: Housing for Older Persons | HUD.gov / U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

https://www.hud.gov/sites/documents/DOC_7769.PDF

And an archived page originating at 55places.com that explains it to the layman, dated 2005 (before you moved to the Villages) is here:

Housing for Older Persons Act of 1995 - Age-Restricted Housing Laws

The 19-year-old restriction is arbitrary, not federally mandated, and at the discretion of each community. It could be 20, or 18, or 32-and-three-months. As long as one person in each of a minimum of 80% of all homes in the community is 55 years old or older, it satisfies the "55+" designation.
I don't see the "no one under the age of 19" provision anywhere in these links. Is that a Villages rule? If so, would they be able to legally change that and increase the age? Could they say that no one under the age of 50 can live here?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
Please talking about the children probably living with parents could be 60 have many of you forgot this is adult community. At 82 and having moved through 5 homes and now in Fenney, each neighborhood had younger people living in it , now out in Fenney they are much younger many in , 50’sand early 60’S also quite a few still working including at least 3 airline pilots I’ve met Yes this is adult community but not everybody is old or feels old, one of the many things that I like about the Southern end is the younger adult homeowners
LOL, you said 50’s & 60’s, huh yea, 50’s is the age you have to be to live in TV, 55. As far as kids to live here, you can’t just adopt some young person & just think you can just walk into TV. They would have to be handicapped in some way for the parent having to have to help them. Most of us knows what TV would look like if we just let kids run like some people do. Say what you want but the Morse’s aren’t going to let young unattended young people run wild & trash what took them yrs. to build. Your children can live here if a parent or both work in TV. That’s what the school is for!
Old 10-18-2020, 08:46 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Of Course average age is going down...............when my bride hits 60, she says her next birthday will be her 59th.

Tags
lowering, avg, age

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.