Pools - Too Hot?

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Sage
Default Pools - Too Hot?

For anyone that has a pool at their house:

I understand that during the winter you'd need a heater and you can use a solar cover to minimize heat loss but how about during the summer. Do you need to constantly add water to keep it cool? Is there some sort of cover to keep it cooler?

Also what is the cost to keep the pool warm during the winter? Gas heater? Solar panels? etc.

Are the neighborhood pools a constant temp?
Old 08-12-2007, 10:13 AM
Send a message via AIM to rballruss Send a message via Yahoo to rballruss
Default Re: Pools - Too Hot?

Russ...this is Russ ;D

I do have a pool, and it is expensive to heat during the winter if using a gas heater. After last winter, I am in the process of getting estimates on a solar heater. The cost is running around $3500-$4000. That might sound like a lot, but, due to forgetfulness on my part, I had a $1,000 gas bill one month this winter. NEVER AGAIN!!!! If getting a pool, go ahead and invest in the solar panels.

As far as cooling the pool, I haven't found that necessary. Whenever my pool gets to 89-90 degrees, that means it's near 100 out and is still refreshing, believe it or not. Rarely has it gotten that warm, though. Average summer temp seems to be around 86. If you need it cooler, then you may have to put the hose in.

Hope this helps,

Russ
Old 08-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Sage

Russ Boston....neighborhood pools are kept at a constant 82 degrees in colder months; they heat up during the summer with the weather. I tossed a thermometer in our neighborhood pool yesterday and water temp was 92. Such is Florida living.

I grew up in a house with a pool and thought I would want one here. But, with ALL the neighborhood and family pools and the fact that they are kept heated and that it is the social center of the neighborhood, I don't regret not getting a pool one bit. Each will have to decide if it is worth the expense...initial and ongoing, to have a pool.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Platinum member

We've had a pool since 1983 when we moved to Florida. We were SOOO glad NOT to have one here. We love our neighborhood pool. Don't have to clean it, pay for chemicals etc. Plus we love our neighborhood pool. It is such a good place to meet neighbors. Barb
Tampa, FL
Old 08-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Sage

Good advice from all of you. Perhaps we'll buy without a pool but 'room for a pool' and then make up my mind. I do like the socializing aspect of the neighborhood pools but those late night dips can be tempting!
Old 08-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Send a message via AIM to rballruss Send a message via Yahoo to rballruss

yeah...epecially when you live in a Courtyard Villa and can skinny dip whenever.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:54 PM

neighborhood pools for casual socializing and sports pools for camaraderie can't be beat but all this privacy and skinny dipping talk has me thinking about trading in for a courtyard villa.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Platinum member

:2cool: :hot: :beer2:
Old 08-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Veteran member

I love our neighborhood pool because it is an ADULT pool. I wouldn't have a pool in my yard because I have met most of my friends when I go to the pool each morning at 8 am to do my walking/exercise and then swim and enjoy the rest of the morning. I have made so many wonderful friends at the pool that I wouldn't have met if I had a pool at the villa. Plus, the cost is about $40k from what I have heard and it just isn't worth the cost. :bigthumbsup:

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.