Lowes Update Again...

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatRatKat View Post
I cannot believe I'm even typing this, I thought for sure it would be handled today as promised. For those who are following my Lowes carpet saga...my parent's carpet was supposed to finally be installed this morning after HQ became involved. They were supposed to show up between 8-10 and at 8:15 the installer called wanting to know how big the piano was because there were only two of them. Piano?! Red flag. My Mother told them there was a bed, dresser and small chair...NO PIANO... and they said ok and would be there in 20 mins. They never showed up, no phone call. After much back and forth we were told by HQ and the Installation Co that my Mother had refused the carpet when they called!! Never happened, I was there all morning. They have everything so confused and jumbled up, nobody knows what they're doing. They are supposed to come tomorrow morning now. I have no confidence in Lowes or the installer. What does this say about Lowes that even when HQ becomes involved they still cannot get it right. Meanwhile, my Dad's dresser drawers are piled in the dining room and his bed was stripped in anticipation of the carpet installation. I pleaded with my Dad to call the credit card company to try and stop payment on the carpet and he won't do it, he is a class act with high morals and character and that doesn't seem right to him. Lowes could learn a thing or two from my Dad. I am so sad that my parents are having to go through this nonsense.
Could the installer have wanted the day off and pulled that stunt on his own? Of course the entire service has been awful it seems. I feel terrible for what you are going through. I would flip out!! Wish I had advice but I can say, I wouldn’t trust them to install anything at this point, this could get worse.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:28 AM

I’d be furious. I’d consider a picketing with sign in front of the store. Exercise and maybe they’d get angry too, and resolve.
Don’t give up. Look at the big picture for help from anyone/organization who could help. And I’d talk to an attorney.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:35 AM

We have used Lowe’s for carpet installs up north and have been very pleased by the work and service.

We replaced the carpeting in our bedrooms here in the Villages and used the new Lowe’s on 466A. A complete disaster. They showed up and said they won’t move any of the TVs, and said we weren’t ready for the install because a few items were still in the bedrooms (they pointed to a small trash can and a footstool). They said they’ll get us rescheduled in a few weeks.

Now if you’ve ever replaced carpeting in a lived in house, you know how much effort is takes to empty out the rooms. We had everything moved into the other rooms of the house and it was a complete mess. I moved the trash can and footstool, and they said “too late”.

We called Lowe’s and the installer was demanding an extra $500 for “furniture moving” to come back and install. This was after Lowe’s had said they would help move the TVs (that I unplugged and disconnected before they arrived). We paid the $500 as we could not stomach the house being a mess for several more weeks.

Lowe’s has a contract here with one company that does all their flooring installs. I can’t remember the name of the company but I will NEVER EVER use Lowe’s again here for installs.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:47 AM

I like Lowe’s, they just sold me a 1299 mower fer 700 b/c I complained the tires were dirty....can’t beat that
Old 04-17-2021, 08:50 AM
Sage

I have first hand knowledge. Installers of anything from floor to ceiling and anything in between are working for big box stores because they are not competent or skilled or reliable enough to work anywhere else. Any grunt off the street can go to work for a big box store, and they are usually mis-classified as sub contractors.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:08 AM

WOW! WOW! I hope you also send this entire story to a)BBB and b) Attorney General. PLUS - I hope you post this on GOOGLE ratings! If you don't know how - message me. As a rule of thumb - I would not use install services by a Big Box store. As a vendor - I helped set up the the very first Home Depot Install division (it was roofing) and it went went national. Depot made lots of money - but - it was significantly overpriced and used inferior (cheapest) contractors. You may remember - Sears years ago had a very similar business model. Result was not good.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
How much did you say the job cost? A thousand dollars? I wish you had shown pictures of the bad and visible seam.
The total was 1,685.00 which included vinyl floor in attached bath. No need to post pictures, the installer and Lowes both had already declared it was done incorrectly and did not look good and needed to be redone...that was not in dispute.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:57 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,178 Times in 759 Posts

Home Depot and Lowe's use outside contractors, they get the cheapest ones, and cash in on the savings.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Sometimes things seem to take on a life of their own. They start out bad and just keep going that way.

None of them Lowes. I currently have four different monstrosities going at the same time.
I've never in my life had so many. The famous computer phone answering.

Do they use them so you are already annoyed before you get to some human? You finally get through and ask for a name. A monster company. My name is John. What is your last name John I'm sure you are not the only John there. I won't give you my last name.
How about your id number? You scribble down the number. Is it real or does he just invent numbers? But, John told me. There is no such number.

Re: Lowes
Perhaps, we won the lottery. We bought brand name carpet. It was a good price. Delivered and installed properly and on time.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerman View Post
We have used Lowe’s for carpet installs up north and have been very pleased by the work and service.

We replaced the carpeting in our bedrooms here in the Villages and used the new Lowe’s on 466A. A complete disaster. They showed up and said they won’t move any of the TVs, and said we weren’t ready for the install because a few items were still in the bedrooms (they pointed to a small trash can and a footstool). They said they’ll get us rescheduled in a few weeks.

Now if you’ve ever replaced carpeting in a lived in house, you know how much effort is takes to empty out the rooms. We had everything moved into the other rooms of the house and it was a complete mess. I moved the trash can and footstool, and they said “too late”.

We called Lowe’s and the installer was demanding an extra $500 for “furniture moving” to come back and install. This was after Lowe’s had said they would help move the TVs (that I unplugged and disconnected before they arrived). We paid the $500 as we could not stomach the house being a mess for several more weeks.

Lowe’s has a contract here with one company that does all their flooring installs. I can’t remember the name of the company but I will NEVER EVER use Lowe’s again here for installs.
What a disgrace
Old 04-17-2021, 03:16 PM
Default Lesson learned

I learned my lesson years ago dealing with Lowe’s as I had to replace some French doors. The installation went fine until the installer accidentally put a hole in my siding and worse, right at eye level. Because the siding had faded, he stated that he couldn’t replace it and make it match. I contacted the store and they said that I had to take it up with the installer, not them. We ended up resolving the issue by rearranging the siding. At least the installer tried and while doing so he gave me an education on how he was hired and how Lowe’s contracts out their work. He recommended in the future to find smaller owned stores. As it turned out, the Pella doors needed an adjustment and sure enough a completely different subcontractor was sent out. Lowe’s at least stood by their warranty, but it has jaded me to stay away from big box stores for as I really don’t want to end up in court with a subcontractor.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,920 Times in 2,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersweeney View Post
I like Lowe’s, they just sold me a 1299 mower fer 700 b/c I complained the tires were dirty....can’t beat that
You mean that 300 dollar mower at Walmart?
Old 04-17-2021, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeser View Post
Within the last five years I have had two major projects with Lowes (not in The Villages). Both had problems. The first project got resolved and completed satisfactorily. The second project was filled with problems and one issue was never resolved. I will never use Lowes again for a major project. If I am going to use a general contractor, it will be one that comes to the house to manage the project and resolve issues. A desk in a big box store is not a project manager.
Your contractor would buy the Items from Lowes, get a military discount and sells it to you at a much higher price. As with a Lowe's contractor you would already know the price for the items.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:04 PM

Guess we know why the carpet store doesn't sell screen doors...
Old 04-17-2021, 07:35 PM
Default Great Lakes Carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I feel sorry for the OP. I believe their original message got lost in the sauce because someone was playing with an organ, not a piano.

We just had GreatLakes Carpet do an installation in one bedroom. They are not cheap but they are a class act all the way. They did what they said they would when they said they would do it. Great installers also.

We gave Lowes a look since we were next to the store on 441 and wasn't really feeling the service we got at the counter.
Bought a resale and after three years the carpet began to pop up in spots. Checked the paper work and it was installed by Great Lakes.
Closed Thread

Tags
lowes, carpet, morning, piano, supposed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.