Lpga future

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2021, 01:54 PM
Default Lpga future

the guy who won yesterday, and was on national television all weekend, won $1,800,000.
the woman won the lpga event yesterday, wherever it was, won $300,000
I would say the LPGA is in trouble.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike234 View Post
the guy who won yesterday, and was on national television all weekend, won $1,800,000.
Just looking at it from the point of prize money, yes there is a great disparity in prize money, it doesn't matter which women's sports, it's always less than men. The President of the LPGA Mike Wham for the past 11 years is stepping this year and taking over the USGA because of his success. Your comments would of accurate ten years ago, but the difference he has made while in office have revitalized the women's tour.

This is from Golf Magazine January 6, 2021;

Over the past 11 years he rescued the LPGA from the brink and guided the tour through a series of financial challenges, most recently the coronavirus pandemic. The LPGA recently announced an ambitious schedule for this year, a 34-event slate that features new tournaments, new sponsors and a record $76.45 million in prize money. In 2010, the year Whan took over, the LPGA had only 24 official events – its smallest schedule in nearly 40 years – and just $41.4 million in prize money.

LPGA Commissioner Mike Whan to Step Down This Year | Golf Channel
Old 03-01-2021, 03:15 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

If it doesn't draw the sponsors or fans what do you expect a free market to do. It's business not women's rights or "woke". Till they generate the $$$ that the PGA Tour does accept it. This isn't about inequality...it's about the gate!

You can't force equality...you earn it.

Last edited by Mortal1; 03-01-2021 at 03:16 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-01-2021, 03:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Wait till they allow transgender golfers on LPGA
Old 03-01-2021, 04:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Just looking at it from the point of prize money, yes there is a great disparity in prize money, it doesn't matter which women's sports, it's always less than men. The President of the LPGA Mike Wham for the past 11 years is stepping this year and taking over the USGA because of his success. Your comments would of accurate ten years ago, but the difference he has made while in office have revitalized the women's tour.

Over the past 11 years he rescued the LPGA from the brink and guided the tour through a series of financial challenges, most recently the coronavirus pandemic. The LPGA recently announced an ambitious schedule for this year, a 34-event slate that features new tournaments, new sponsors and a record $76.45 million in prize money. In 2010, the year Whan took over, the LPGA had only 24 official events – its smallest schedule in nearly 40 years – and just $41.4 million in prize money.

Very true of most sports but tennis.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:25 PM
Veteran member
Default Wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Wait till they allow transgender golfers on LPGA
Well, I believe they do allow, actually. I remember reading LPGA was sued some years back because of their "born female" policy. However, I haven't yet seen an LPGA golfer with a big Adam's Apple and beard stubble. Not that I've been looking.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:40 PM
Default I agree with this analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post

The LPGA really went down after the financial crisis. Whan did a good job rebounding them. The TV contract and sponsored events raise less money than for the men so the purses are lower. That is just the way the finances work. Women's tennis has a unique situation with the men, equal purses which they fought hard with. It helps them that the events are at the same time at the same location, and that women tennis pro's are/were large enough stars in the publics mind.

It is getting better with more events and larger purses.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:25 PM
Veteran member

The LPGA is fun to watch but nowhere near as fun as the PGA. Main reason for money disparity. Similar to NBA vs WNBA etc.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:33 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
The LPGA is fun to watch but nowhere near as fun as the PGA. Main reason for money disparity. Similar to NBA vs WNBA etc.
Totally disagree, women have much more skill with their shots and finesse. They can’t pound it as far, swear or break clubs as easily but many aren’t into that anyway. Just another perspective...
Old 03-01-2021, 07:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,682 Times in 970 Posts

I used to enjoy the LPGA just as much as the men's tour, other than I have always enjoyed the men's majors more. I can't say why. However, over the last few years as I've watched both the PGA and the LPGA, it has been my observation that as slow as the men are, the women are even slower. Really really slower. Especially on the greens. So slow in fact, I can't even watch it.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:31 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

I enjoy both but defer to the pga because there aren’t as many dominate players as there are in the lpga. Seldom do you see a playoff in the lpga. That always adds to the excitement of watching the pga.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,047 Times in 2,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike234 View Post
It’s all about the ratings generated, the sponsors willing to fund the purse, the Television Contract and advertising revenue. If there was the same interest in the LPGA as the PGA, the payday would be the same. The LPGA is not in trouble, it just operates at a different level of interest and $$$. The financial playing field could become somewhat leveled out going forward as the cash cow of the PGA (Tiger) future is in serious doubt.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,675 Times in 5,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Totally disagree, women have much more skill with their shots and finesse. They can’t pound it as far, swear or break clubs as easily but many aren’t into that anyway. Just another perspective...
Women golfers have much more skill and finesse than men? That is totally false.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:00 AM

The total purse for the PGA tournament just played was over $10 million compared to just $2million for the women's event. You can't pay out money that isn't there unless you are the Federal Government.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:22 AM

the LPGA needs a Tigress wood to help the ratings
Closed Thread

Tags
won, lpga, yesterday, event, $300, 000

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.