Luncheon at Crispers

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

No problem, Islandgal, just hope folks reply to me.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandnancy1112 View Post
Alright, Guys, since I started this posting, I will volunteer for February to announce on TOTV the meeting, bring name tags, be at Crispers early to set up the tables, and make a Welcome Speech. Will someone volunteer to bring the popcorn (excellent idea)?

We would love to come, and if you still need somebody to bring popcorn....let me know the week before,and I will bring a big bag!
Old 01-21-2012, 04:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cquick View Post
We would love to come, and if you still need somebody to bring popcorn....let me know the week before,and I will bring a big bag!
I'd feel funny bringing popcorn into a restaurant as I would my own drink. It's a business that sells food and welcomes us there in order to do so. I quit going since summer because it was never organized, name tags were always forgotten and on my last one half sat outside in 98 deg. heat and the rest inside in A/C. With these new volunteers it sounds interesting again.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Platinum member

As a long-time member of TOTV and a pretty regular attendee at the monthly "luncheon," I must admit to:

1] being somewhat embarrassed when folks
a] don't show up
b] don't identify themselves
c] seem to be 'shy'

2] being somewhat embarassed that
a] there's no apparent organization
b] there's no apparent welcoming committee
c] there are few, if any, follow-up pictures, etc.

I know of many 'reasons' why these deficiencies exist. And, I can think of several ways of correcting them. That said, I think that this thread is on the right track to making the monthly luncheon at Crisper's an EVENT worthy of note!

Personally, I frankly have too many others things going on to take on any responsibilities for TOTV. I do hope that some of you will do so, though!

SWR
Old 01-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

Les, that would be great, but my only concern is the whether the restaurant will object.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Les, that would be great, but my only concern is the whether the restaurant will object.
Why would the restaurant object? We're spending money there. The Villages Gourmet Club has members that go to restaurants in groups and sit together and wear name tags if they want to.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 01-21-2012, 11:03 PM
Veteran member

Jblum,

I am just wondering whether the restaurant would object in us bringing our own popcorn.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Gold member

I can't wait to get down there!!! I would have no problem helping to organize (or doing it myself!)...I also wouldn't have a problem standing up and asking how many there were from TOTV (guess you can tell, I'm not shy!) Stick on name tags with markers available would be all it would take...might even get some of the other customers to join TOTV.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Jblum,

I am just wondering whether the restaurant would object in us bringing our own popcorn.
Personally, I would not bring in your own food/snacks in this situation. I think it only fair that they make a few $$ off of people buying snacks, etc., in exchange for using the facility at no charge.

I think you guys and gals are on the right track with getting it organized again!!
Old 01-21-2012, 11:20 PM
Gold member

ummm...kinda thinkin the popcorn is a joke???? I found it funny, even if everyone else took it seriously.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:27 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to Tickled_pink

Quote:
No problem, Islandgal, just hope folks reply to me.
Wish we were still going to be here for the next meeting. I know you will do a wonderful job Nancy, and thanks again for making us feel so welcome last Thursday.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Sage
Smile The Torch is passed...

I, too, was part of the original Crisper's group starting in 2007. Like previously stated, Village Kid and Nancy07 took responsibility for the name tags and follow-up pictures. Also, KathieI (through her postings and later through her attendance) got everyone pumped up to attend. Very organized. We even had a cruise. It was a wonderful situation for newcomers.

As time goes on, most of the original people (now living here for over 4 years) have met people, joined clubs, found their footing so to speak and mostly do not attend. Just by coincidence, Barefoot, Nonie and I happened to be there on Friday and didn't even realize it WAS a "Crisper's Luncheon".
(Although we did see SWAFLA, who is always a delight to see. Made me think of the old days!

Another thing, the restaurant has changed hands, so the new people working there probably are not that aware of a continuing monthly, get-together. They should be made aware of this.

We never had a big sign, but we did have a table with name tags to write our TOTV names and our real names. And yes, tables were pulled together for the most part. I think your volunteer plans are perfect. And taking turns is even better, as I know it became a bit wearing for Village Kid and others to always be the ones responsible for the duties.

All in all, it was a wonderful place to meet and some of those initial friendships are still going strong over 4 years later. I, personally, welcome you all and congratulate you on choosing this magical place to live. Like everything, it has it's place and it has it's time. So, don't be disappointed -- carry on!!!! And I know that a few years down the road, when you are completely absorbed in clubs, neighbors and other activities... you will look back at it with fond memories.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea24 View Post
I, too, was part of the original Crisper's group starting in 2007. Like previously stated, Village Kid and Nancy07 took responsibility for the name tags and follow-up pictures. Also, KathieI (through her postings and later through her attendance) got everyone pumped up to attend. Very organized. We even had a cruise. It was a wonderful situation for newcomers.

As time goes on, most of the original people (now living here for over 4 years) have met people, joined clubs, found their footing so to speak and mostly do not attend. Just by coincidence, Barefoot, Nonie and I happened to be there on Friday and didn't even realize it WAS a "Crisper's Luncheon".
(Although we did see SWAFLA, who is always a delight to see. Made me think of the old days!

Another thing, the restaurant has changed hands, so the new people working there probably are not that aware of a continuing monthly, get-together. They should be made aware of this.

We never had a big sign, but we did have a table with name tags to write our TOTV names and our real names. And yes, tables were pulled together for the most part. I think your volunteer plans are perfect. And taking turns is even better, as I know it became a bit wearing for Village Kid and others to always be the ones responsible for the duties.

All in all, it was a wonderful place to meet and some of those initial friendships are still going strong over 4 years later. I, personally, welcome you all and congratulate you on choosing this magical place to live. Like everything, it has it's place and it has it's time. So, don't be disappointed -- carry on!!!! And I know that a few years down the road, when you are completely absorbed in clubs, neighbors and other activities... you will look back at it with fond memories.
Very good post.

I belong to several clubs and always found out that only a handful of members did the work while the others enjoyed the same benefits.

It's great to see that people are willing to put forth this effort as this site is responsible for so many friendships. Thanks to Mike&Nancy and others who have volunteered to keep this function alive and well.

Hopefully, this may grow into other organized get togethers for people who are like minded.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Veteran member

What a difference a day makes! Am glad to note that many people are taking the bull by the horn and making this monthly get-together a success. I think it would be sad if we can't make it work again. My wife is currently saying she won't go to this outing again but I will drag her out one more time in February. I think it may be the recent Newbies of Pennecamp, Buttonwood, St. Charles, Tamarind Grove, St. James and Sanibel to revive the get together.
Since we are the one's most excited about TV now, we can make things happen I think. Swinaflu and the other older residents can just come and give more Newbies more good advice until we become older and wiser and move on turning the reign to those who will be coming to 466A South in the future. Thank you Mike and Nancy for posting initially and taking on this task.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Sage

Way to go, Mike and Nancy,
for bringing the issue to the fore, and stepping up to get the event back on track.

As others have explained, the Crisper's luncheon were conceived and organized by TOTV members, not the site's owners or admins. Those members have gone on to other things. New members to revive and reorganize the event is just what the doctor ordered!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.