Magic jack

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2019, 07:23 AM
Send a message via AIM to BCEagle78

I have used Vonage for the past 15 years. It is a Voice over IP solution. There was no upfront cost for the service and it includes some good features like free calls to most European countries. The rate I pay is the same as it was 15 years ago. I am a Vonage fan.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:44 PM
Default Love my MagicJack

I have used Magic Jack for the past 15 years and it works great. Any time I have a problem they have on line chat and talk you through any issues or give you a link that updates your unit an takes care of any problems. It has been over 5 years sine I have needed any software patch Guess the have modified it so up dates are auto and no more problems. The nice thing is all you need is outlet to plug into and a Ethernet connection from modem.
We travel a lot and take our Magic Jack with us and always have our home phone with us. It works anyplace you have internet be it in the US, Mexico,Canada etc.. I even have two set at same phone number so I am able to not have to take it with me when at second home.
I would not be without it. Just had another family member change to Magic Jack and they eliminated two costly land lines that cost more for one month than the two Magic Jacks do for the year. Order on line or pick it up at Walmart. Sets up in minutes and your able to port your existing phone number so nothing changes but a big savings. I line the email notification for missed call messages left sent right to your cell phone or use call forwarding.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:07 AM

We are moving next month and currently have a security system that runs off our land line. We have a contract, but they said I could take my system with me, however I don't want to pay for another land line. Has anyone tried using one of these systems for that purpose?
Old 10-24-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjan1 View Post
We are moving next month and currently have a security system that runs off our land line. We have a contract, but they said I could take my system with me, however I don't want to pay for another land line. Has anyone tried using one of these systems for that purpose?

Our system worked fine using OOMA it really doesn't care what the carrier is, copper wire or voip. One down side to using a landline for a security system is it can be disabled on the outside of your house rendering it useless. Cellular connections on a security system are much more secure.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:58 AM
Platinum member
Default Ooma No Good

I tried Ooma a while ago. I have 150MB/sec (fast) Comcast for ISP. Could NOT get it to work. Person on the other end kept saying they "hear an echo of themselves". Conversation was terrible. "What? What?" Whether local or long distance - the complaint was the same - echoes. I believe Ooma's server is in California - thus the delay. Was on the phone with Ooma for HOURS. New firmware download many times - didn't help. Had to fight to return it for a refund. Took about two months before I got my money back. Their help dept. is no help - kept doing the same thing over and over. Google blogs on Magic Jack and Ooma, see what others say. Some people are satisfied, some couldn't use it. Already give Comcast too much money so I don't want to give them VOIP too. And it might be my Comcast internet local line. Comcast won't fix a bad VOIP problem for MJ or Ooma brand products. Good luck, have an alternate plan before you drop your landline and lose your phone number.

Skip
Old 10-24-2019, 12:29 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Gilbert View Post
Our system worked fine using OOMA it really doesn't care what the carrier is, copper wire or voip. One down side to using a landline for a security system is it can be disabled on the outside of your house rendering it useless. Cellular connections on a security system are much more secure.
True and they can disable the electric and you might still have the problem unless you have a battery backup. One problem with a cellular call out - the dispatcher doesn't have a land location with a cellular call.

Skip
Old 10-24-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
True and they can disable the electric and you might still have the problem unless you have a battery backup. One problem with a cellular call out - the dispatcher doesn't have a land location with a cellular call.

Skip

Just an FYI

When a alarm is triggered it contacts via either cell or landline the alarm service providers call center who has your information and they contact the local authorities if they cant get in touch with you first. Its not a perfect system but better than nothing. My system has a battery backup they say is good for 48 hours ( may be optimistic )

To stay on topic mine worked perfectly on OOMA I just prefer cell
Closed Thread

Tags
magic, jack, home, line, century

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.