Are the mail centers a storm debris dump location?

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2017, 05:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts
Question Are the mail centers a storm debris dump location?

I've been reading on TOTV that postal stations in The Villages have piles of storm yard debris piling up. Actually, I'm seeing yard debris, filled bio-degradable bags included, piling up at the Mallory mail station.

Before I bring our yard storm debris to our mail station, I plan to call the CDD tomorrow to see if this is actually prohibited or if it is acceptable.

Last edited by coffeebean; 09-24-2017 at 05:36 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:38 AM
Veteran member

I don't think this is acceptable....HOWEVER, it IS nearly 2 weeks after the storm. Maybe they shouldn't have suspended the regular pick-ups for all areas. Our neighborhoods, thankfully, did well with minimal damage, but we DO have bags and bags of horticulture sitting outside our homes. Maybe the regular sanitation company can pick this up. Our area isn't even listed yet on the storm pickup schedule.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:08 AM

Yesterday, while at the Belvedere pool which is next to the mail center, a truck was going into the neighborhood streets and picking up yard debris, bringing it back to the mail center and making on huge pile. I assume rather than having the huge trucks going down the streets, they are collecting neighborhood yard debris in this manner.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:15 AM
Veteran member

Good to know that it isn't residents dumping it. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2017, 07:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I do know not a mail station but the parking lot at Havana CC was used as a collection site and the very large pile was recently picked up.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by liere View Post
Yesterday, while at the Belvedere pool which is next to the mail center, a truck was going into the neighborhood streets and picking up yard debris, bringing it back to the mail center and making on huge pile. I assume rather than having the huge trucks going down the streets, they are collecting neighborhood yard debris in this manner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
I do know not a mail station but the parking lot at Havana CC was used as a collection site and the very large pile was recently picked up.
Were yard-waste bags brought there by the FEMA contract? Did these collections include paper yard-waste bags or only loose branches from trees and shrubs?
Old 09-24-2017, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

In our neighborhood there are bags of yard waste waiting at the curb. After several days the palm fronds were gathered by somebody and put in a pile at our mail drop where they fell. They are still there.

Nothing is being harmed. They are sitting there. The palm fronds are quite possibly suffocating the grass under it but Zoyzia is remarkable durable and will come back.

We go in and out, down the streets, going to the grocery and to our activities. We do the usual things we do.

No harm is coming to us. They will come and get it, sooner or later. We all are living here with only slight damage and close to us on this earth many people have died from natural disasters or lost nearly everything.

Patience is so hard. Don't worry. TRY to be happy. We don't have as much time left on this beautiful earth as we did last year.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-24-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:49 AM
Veteran member

ahhhh, my daily lesson on life. I know all of the above Grace and know you are trying to put things in perspective. Fact remains tho, grateful or not, this can be done better. We all know we should be grateful for all we have. That doesn't mean nothing else in our lives will never tweak us. Happy Sunday!

Last edited by Lovey2; 09-25-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Were yard-waste bags brought there by the FEMA contract? Did these collections include paper yard-waste bags or only loose branches from trees and shrubs?
I don't know who brought them there.Didn't see bags at Havana but they sure are at mail stations. FEMA is paying these contractors for the clean up and It's my understanding It's the same company cleaning up a good part of Florida. I know there are a large number of regular workers in TV gathers fallen branches andpiling them. I see them allover S/O 466.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

On an issue that appears to affect most residents of TV, one that no doubt more than one villages office has been called about.....one would think some obvious communication from whoever is in charge, would publish in the Daily Sun....or some other means that reaches a high percentage of residents.

The rumor/opinions run rampant and only confuse folks about what they should actually be doing.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:42 AM
Sage

We were up near Atlantic Beach yesterday and there are still lots of piles of tree debris sitting at the curb. It’s going to take a while to get all picked up. Seems like a pain, but we can get around, roads are clear, and soon, it will be our turn for debris pickup. (At least it’s only plant material and not house pieces parts.)
Old 09-24-2017, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
On an issue that appears to affect most residents of TV, one that no doubt more than one villages office has been called about.....one would think some obvious communication from whoever is in charge, would publish in the Daily Sun....or some other means that reaches a high percentage of residents.

The rumor/opinions run rampant and only confuse folks about what they should actually be doing.
Maybe like the article in the "Daily Sun" on the 20th. with Sam Wartinbee on the clean up in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma?????

Maybe like the article in the "Daily Sun" on the 21st. with Trey Arnett the Villages water engineer?????

Did you read these or other articles????? Are you signed up for the District up dates that some of us get almost daily.... twice a day some days?????

Think there is anyone in Puerto Rico who would love to change places with you? And while we are at it.... think there is anyone in P.R. worrying about golf and rebates of golf cart trail fees? Do we think they would be upset if told it's going to take a couple of weeks to clean up their neighborhoods and make them look like nothing ever happened. I also wonder how many down there are talking about suing someone because they lost 12 shingles.

It's Sunday.....let's count our blessings and STOP our bitching.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
We were up near Atlantic Beach yesterday and there are still lots of piles of tree debris sitting at the curb. It’s going to take a while to get all picked up. Seems like a pain, but we can get around, roads are clear, and soon, it will be our turn for debris pickup. (At least it’s only plant material and not house pieces parts.)
Old 09-24-2017, 10:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Maybe like the article in the "Daily Sun" on the 20th. with Sam Wartinbee on the clean up in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma?????

Maybe like the article in the "Daily Sun" on the 21st. with Trey Arnett the Villages water engineer?????

Did you read these or other articles????? Are you signed up for the District up dates that some of us get almost daily.... twice a day some days?????

Think there is anyone in Puerto Rico who would love to change places with you? And while we are at it.... think there is anyone in P.R. worrying about golf and rebates of golf cart trail fees? Do we think they would be upset if told it's going to take a couple of weeks to clean up their neighborhoods and make them look like nothing ever happened. I also wonder how many down there are talking about suing someone because they lost 12 shingles.

It's Sunday.....let's count our blessings and STOP our bitching.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by liere View Post
Oh, that's good to know. I don't mind hauling the bags myself. I just want to wait to speak with the CDD before I bring our yard debris to the mail center.

Tags
debris, yard, mail, storm, piling

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.