Are the mail centers a storm debris dump location?

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2017, 11:03 AM
Sage

VCDD e-Notification
Subject: Administrative Message - Special Notification to All Newsletter Subscribers
Date: 9/24/2017

Debris at Recreation Facilities

As units of local government, the Village Community Development Districts are eligible for reimbursement from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for storm debris collection resulting from Hurricane Irma. Each of the Districts located in The Villages have a contract in place with a FEMA approved debris hauler, Crowder Gulf, Inc.

Debris collection began for residential properties on Friday, September 15, 2017 and will continue until each residential area has a collection. Please do NOT place your storm debris or regular yard waste debris at any of the recreation centers or postal facilities. Moving debris from your residential property to recreation areas can be a safety hazard and it can impact the normal maintenance and upkeep of the recreation facilities.

We appreciate your cooperation and urge you to contact the District Customer Service Center should you have any questions on storm related debris pick-up or your regular yard waste collection. We can be reached Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at (352) 753-4508. For additional information, please visit Village Community Development Districts.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
VCDD e-Notification
Subject: Administrative Message - Special Notification to All Newsletter Subscribers

As units of local government, the Village Community Development Districts are eligible for reimbursement from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for storm debris collection resulting from Hurricane Irma. Each of the Districts located in The Villages have a contract in place with a FEMA approved debris hauler, Crowder Gulf, Inc.

Debris collection began for residential properties on Friday, September 15, 2017 and will continue until each residential area has a collection. Please do NOT place your storm debris or regular yard waste debris at any of the recreation centers or postal facilities. Moving debris from your residential property to recreation areas can be a safety hazard and it can impact the normal maintenance and upkeep of the recreation facilities.

We appreciate your cooperation and urge you to contact the District Customer Service Center should you have any questions on storm related debris pick-up or your regular yard waste collection. We can be reached Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at (352) 753-4508. For additional information, please visit Village Community Development Districts.

I just received the same notice from the VCDD and they plainly don't want people hauling their debris to the postal stations. Should be obvious, but then, the "entitled" never realize rules apply to them also.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditka41 View Post
I just received the same notice from the VCDD and they plainly don't want people hauling their debris to the postal stations. Should be obvious, but then, the "entitled" never realize rules apply to them also.
When the entitled go back to the postal areas and pools to take their waste back.... I hope they get the correct bags.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

CWGUY for Mayor.

Whoops. That is political isn't it?
Old 09-24-2017, 11:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
CWGUY for Mayor.

Whoops. That is political isn't it?
"If nominated, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve."
Old 09-24-2017, 01:40 PM

When the "entitled" do go back to retrieve their stuff, let's hope they don't get any of the animal feces, which some other "entitled" folks like to drop at the mail stations. Could get messy if they try to sort it all out.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:50 PM
Veteran member

I totally understand why some folks were trying to make it easier for the FEMA contractor by giving them one less place to attempt to pick up stuff. There are a lot of villages residents that are used to helping themselves and others, and are not used to waiting for the government to come help them. I wish the districts communications included an approved way of helping them clear debris.

On our street one of the neighbors hired her gardners to come back and haul away debris. She told us all and we could have our stuff added for a small fee. Now my yard is clean for less than it would cost to reseed the corner of lawn covered by debris.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
I totally understand why some folks were trying to make it easier for the FEMA contractor by giving them one less place to attempt to pick up stuff. There are a lot of villages residents that are used to helping themselves and others, and are not used to waiting for the government to come help them. I wish the districts communications included an approved way of helping them clear debris.

On our street one of the neighbors hired her gardners to come back and haul away debris. She told us all and we could have our stuff added for a small fee. Now my yard is clean for less than it would cost to reseed the corner of lawn covered by debris.
I'm thinking the easiest way to help is FOLLOW THE RULES!
Old 09-24-2017, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

NO Only Junk Mail and Dog Poop
Old 09-24-2017, 02:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
I'm thinking the easiest way to help is FOLLOW THE RULES!
Right now, from all I've read, the rules are to pile your yard waste on your lawn until FEMA shows up.

Unfortunately, that's not helping the cleanup go faster, despite FEMA working as fast as it can. There has to be some way for citizens who are motivated to pitch in. The development districts can take a leadership role here, and put suggestions out on what WE can do to speed cleanup.

We see the timeline for Districts 1-4 and those in Lake county.
For districts 5-11 there is no public timeline for when the government can get to their streets. As of last Friday, the FEMA crews were averaging cleaning up one village per day. If that average doesn't change those in the south will have yard waste in their yards for over two months.

These people are not asking the Villages or FEMA to get to them first or put more resources into the cleanup process. They are trying to figure out how THEY can help make the process easier and more efficient for FEMA. I would have thought combining piles so the claw truck had to make less stops would help speed it up, but the district, who knows more than we do, feels it won't help. So tell us what we can do that will help.

And perhaps the only answer is for us to hire our own cleanup crews. To me that is an acceptable answer.

I would never call folks that don't expect the government to bail them out "entitled". That term is usually used for those who do nothing and wait for the government to show up.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:40 PM
Sage

15 FEMA contractor men walking south near Sarasota on the multimodal all carrying pole pruners. Seems they were dropped off to prune off broken branches. None to be found. Let’s hope this contractor is not being paid by the man hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2017, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
VCDD e-Notification

Thank you very much for this update. My concerns have been addressed with this latest update and a phone call to the CDD is not necessary now. We will wait it out for the debris pick up.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:01 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Debris Collection Update 9/22/17 3:45p.m.
As units of local government, the Village Community Development Districts are eligible for reimbursement from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for storm debris collection resulting from Hurricane Irma. Each of the Districts located in The Villages have a contract in place with a FEMA approved debris hauler, Crowder Gulf, Inc

In my view the decision made is SOP when it comes to the developer and The Villages nd that is transfer financial burdens to others.

FEMA money is available and so The Villages contracts with a FEMA approved hauler and now look at the mess that sits at every home in The villages. to boot they demanded debris be placed in biodegradable bags which will pretty much beginning to degrade if debris is not picked up soon.

The Villages clearly could have struck an agreement with Waste Management and we would have had this all behind us by now....by I digress

I try to see the best in every situation and so thankfully we are not talking about garbage
Old 09-24-2017, 03:35 PM

So do I get a reduction in my monthly trash fees, or are they pocketing the savings since FEMA pays for yard debris?
Old 09-24-2017, 03:53 PM
Platinum member

to me it doesn't seem right to take money just because it's available. on the one hand, this community is stridently anti-entitlement programs, yet this seems to be exploiting a situation to get government money. I think our normal trash people could be picking up what is normal (for me) yard debris. We are trillions in debt, The Villages shouldn't be there with their hands out. FEMA money should go to communities that have a dire need, not us.
Closed Thread

Tags
debris, yard, mail, storm, piling

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.