Vehicle Registration But Living Out of State

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2019, 09:55 PM
Veteran member
Default Vehicle Registration But Living Out of State

We are seasonal residents and want to register a vehicle to leave here in Florida. What can anyone tell me about the how to? Have you done it, if so what’s did you need to do?
Old 02-02-2019, 10:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

If you are in Sumter County, stop by the county office, Pinellas Plaza (copper topped building), go in by the library, take a right, go to the end of the hallway, the motor vehicle department is right there and they will give you all the info you need, as well as letting you know what forms you will need to bring.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:13 PM

I just did this last month at the office Villagetinker mentioned.
I had to have the Title for the vehicle, proof of insurance for Florida and proof of residency, I used a cable and power company Bill.

You will also have a vehicle inspection, they check VIN and Mileage on the vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2019, 01:30 AM
Location: Pennsylvania, new home in the Village of Osceola Hills

Sure you can do this but why? If you are seasonal, you can simply leave your the car here (in Florida) with your out-of-state plates (and registration). If you are only seasonal, there is no real need to get Florida plates OR incur the (high) expense of registration. Also NOTE: Florida insurance rates are typically higher than that of Northern states (assuming you came from the North).

If you do this (and it's very simple and quick), the registration folks will require proof of Florida insurance AND they do go out to your car and check your vehicle's VIN Number and milage.... NOTE: Florida has NO vehicle inspections whatsoever.

Last edited by Duppa; 02-03-2019 at 01:38 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:00 AM
Veteran member

We are in Marion County so I’ll head to the Marion County office. Where I come from there is property tax on vehicles and one quarter’s payment is higher than the cost to register a vehicle here. The one time payment is not a problem. I’m not sure how much higher the insurance on the vehicle would be since where we live in the north is bordered by a community that has a very high car theft rate. If we had lived just 2 miles north to another nearby town the insurance rate would be quite a bit lower.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:45 AM

Yeah. Just got an insurance quote for my vehicle, and I was totally shocked! Over double the rates I've paid up north! They did indicate, however, that if I showed proof of taxes paid, I would not need to pay them here.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:03 AM
Veteran member
Default Vehicle registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duppa View Post
Sure you can do this but why? If you are seasonal, you can simply leave your the car here (in Florida) with your out-of-state plates (and registration). If you are only seasonal, there is no real need to get Florida plates OR incur the (high) expense of registration. Also NOTE: Florida insurance rates are typically higher than that of Northern states (assuming you came from the North).

If you do this (and it's very simple and quick), the registration folks will require proof of Florida insurance AND they do go out to your car and check your vehicle's VIN Number and milage.... NOTE: Florida has NO vehicle inspections whatsoever.
If you are a NYS resident your auto has to be inspected each year. If you do not then your insurance is canceled. Also, there may be an issue with storing and insuring an auto out of state.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duppa View Post

If they are from a northern state chances are they have an annual inspection process to go through. If they don’t register in FL. they would need to do a yearly trek north to get it inspected.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:35 AM
Default NYS not true

If you are from NYS, you can have your car titled, registered and leave it here. Because it will have no NYS inspection, you will not be able to drive it back to NY unless you get it inspected immediately. I've been doing this now for two different registration periods and have had no problem.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:56 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,599 Posts

If you plate in Florida, you must have Florida insurance. I found Florida insurance was significantly higher than up North.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:11 AM
Platinum member

Florida vehicle insurance is nearly double what I pay in Wisconsin.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2019, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

We live in both Massachusetts and the Villages and have a car we leave in Florida registered with Florida plates. The car should technically be registered in the state where it is primarily garaged. The insurance in Florida is a little higher for us, but not much. As mentioned by others, Florida does not require an annual inspection or emission test like Massachusetts, so having it registered in Florida saves us a major headache and lots of money. Our cars check engine light is on because of a code that says it needs a new catalytic converter, which is very expensive to replace. The catalytic converter does not at all make the car run any better so we ignore the light at the advise of our mechanic. If the car was registered up north it would fail inspection until the catalytic converter was replaced.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:53 AM
Veteran member

Just a note that you aren't required to go to the office in the county where you reside; any office is fine if you happen to be out and about. There is a large fee of $200-300 (as I recall) the first time you register, but typically around $50 in subsequent years. After the initial registration you can easily renew online.

My insurance here is pretty much the same as it was in Texas.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkie View Post
If you are from NYS, you can have your car titled, registered and leave it here. Because it will have no NYS inspection, you will not be able to drive it back to NY unless you get it inspected immediately. I've been doing this now for two different registration periods and have had no problem.

HUH? If it is REGISTERED AND PLATED AND INSURED in FL you can't drive it in NY without inspection? Makes no sense. What am I (and thousands of New Yorkers who travel north who have homes here) missing?
Old 02-03-2019, 12:30 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
If you plate in Florida, you must have Florida insurance. I found Florida insurance was significantly higher than up North.
Plus, when you go in to register a car you are bringing in from another state for the first time there is a 225 dollar tax. By the time you register it you will end up spending about 350 for a two year registration. I just did 2 cars last year. Insurance was almost double what I paid in NC.

Tags
vehicle, what’s, state, living, registration

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.