Mail Station Problems

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2017, 09:37 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Just my 2 cents. This Thread is yet another example why some folks may not want to post or reply on this or some other forums.

IMO the OP posted a heads-up info laden posting re a possible issue affecting many of us. Not threatening nor angry. Yet some of the responses were just that. And some of the responders same to other responders.

Seems as tho someone could post "it's such a beautiful day in TV!", and some may respond "are you blind? there's a cloud in the sky!". Or "It's OK out but I saw some dog poop just now."

We're all human (I think), and have differing opinions. But to not be civil, and appreciate other's thoughts and strike out personally gets old.

Seems as tho some folks sit at their keyboard and simply MUST argue. My point is NOT to argue, but provide my point of view.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:43 PM

I have been told that the developer has volunteered to build a post office within The Villages and has been turned down numerous times by the United States post office. The reason is they do not have the money to staff the new post office. Even though the developer was willing to build the building and donate the land. Unfortunately the post office is a dying service that unless something changes will eventually go away!
Old 02-01-2017, 10:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,428 Posts

(QUOTE) Unfortunately the post office is a dying service that unless something changes will eventually go away![/QUOTE]

IMO the post office like most Federal agencies (and yes I know how federal agencies work) and probably public schools are top heavy with to much management and not enough workers that actually make it work. They cut the people that actually do the job, then they write themselves good performance report "look what I done" now I get pay raise. I feel sorry for the poor sub contractors that have to work for near slave labor while the contractor rakes in the all the profit. That's why the system will fail IMO, cut the heads off the snakes, then the grass will be clean again. But this is the new business model get contract, push if off on some poor smock that's willing to do all the work for survival money.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I haven't ever heard one thing about the mail stations not being secure, or a good place to mail a letter. It is hard to accept controversial posts from unknown anonymous posters yet some are chastised for being skeptical?

The next thing is the usual posters, I can smell them revving their engines, will jump on here and chastise me for thinking this is the wonderful place that this place is. I really don't think we need worry about the mail stations, or the honesty of the workers at the mail stations. I don't. Or worry about their pay or the developers profits. They aren't forced to work there and the developer is in business to make money.

All you need do is mail your letter at a post office and you can track it all the way to it's destination.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:16 AM
TOTV Moderator

Please stay on topic about security at Villages postal stations.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I haven't ever heard one thing about the mail stations not being secure, or a good place to mail a letter. It is hard to accept controversial posts from unknown anonymous posters yet some are chastised for being skeptical?

The next thing is the usual posters, I can smell them revving their engines, will jump on here and chastise me for thinking this is the wonderful place that this place is. I really don't think we need worry about the mail stations, or the honesty of the workers at the mail stations. I don't. Or worry about their pay or the developers profits. They aren't forced to work there and the developer is in business to make money.

All you need do is mail your letter at a post office and you can track it all the way to it's destination.
I may know this OP. Not sure though. My parents were talking about an e-mail going around that originated from the person this happened to and it did I believe name what postal station this was.

And a postal investigator probably checked the destination as well as the postal station it left from to see the most credible culprit.

The lesson I got out of this is that if you are sending any thing with something valuable in it like a gift card send it from a regular post office or a Pack N Ship or something like that. Packing, Shipping, Mailing | The Villages, FL | Village Pack & Ship
Old 02-02-2017, 08:40 AM
Location: Rockville, MD and Sawgrass Villas, Village of St. James

We are very pleased with the mail service in The Villages. Our service is much better here than we had in Rockville, MD where we had misdelivered, or missing mail on a daily basis. Meetings with the local postmaster would lead to temporary improvements, them back to unreliable service. I could go on and on with problems back North. Again, we are happy with the service, especially the responsiveness of our mail person.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:40 AM
Sage

Can't get much less secure than an unlocked box next to the road in front of your house. I'm fine with the mail stations.

If you're mailing sometime valuable, take it to the post office.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
It is likely the number of cases "solved" were a "drop in a bucket" to what was stolen. Overall, The former Pony Express does a good job.

You would think The Village Developer would have enough "political clout" to get a Village Post Office. We have been one of the fastest growing areas in the nation. The Villages should have an acceptable Post Office.
Oh my.....and where would this PO be located?
Old 02-09-2017, 07:56 AM

Asking a postal employee to shuffle through ones personal mail and split between two different boxes is, IMHO, unreasonable; to say nothing of the fact that IT'S NOT HER JOB.
This small task must be done by the recipient. It's only fair. Have a lovely day.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Along a similar line, I sent out a check (early December), the person knew it was coming, and let me know about 3 weeks later it never arrived. It turned up 2 weeks later (January) all torn, in a postal envelope. The person told me it looked like the envelope got caught is a machine. I have had occasional problems with 'thick' envelopes (typically birthday cards) that get jammed or rejected. A few years ago, I had cash disappear on the way to my mother (in assisted living), could never prove or figure out where it disappeared, lesson learned.
Going forward, if I am sending something of value, it usually goes FedEx or UPS with tracking, in a cardboard envelope.
FedEx has same issue when sending cash. I sent cash (although I knew better) via FedEx. The cardboard enveloped arrived and DID NOT appear to have been tampered with. But, cash was missing. somewhere along the route, they had a way of getting envelope xrayed, opened, and resealed.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,511 Times in 710 Posts

So the USPS is not responsible for the handling of the mail at TV postal stations, or security, or anything else it seems.
We can't put a sticker on the mailbox to help quickly locate our own box amongst the hundreds of others and can we can't even clean or paint anything at the mail station because it is "USPS Property".
Just to add insult to injury, we the residents pay for the electricity and maintenance of the postal stations with our annual maintenance assessments. Don't forget, we also just purchased all of the postal stations south of 466 last year as a part of the amenities purchase.
This is like buying a car, paying for the gas, insurance, and maintenance, paying someone to drive it, but you can't put a bumper sticker on it and if the driver wrecks it they immediately say "it's not my fault or responsibility".
How exactly does this double standard work again?
Old 02-09-2017, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,392 Posts

I have been in The Villages for 15 years. I have never been unable to find my mail box by looking at the numbers.
Why would I need a sticker??
Old 02-09-2017, 11:10 AM
Sage

I am not sure I see your point. If you had your own mailbox in front of your house you would be responsible for maintaining it. No free lunch.

There are actually hundreds of stickers on the mailboxes for my Villages. I personally don't see the need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
So the USPS is not responsible for the handling of the mail at TV postal stations, or security, or anything else it seems.
We can't put a sticker on the mailbox to help quickly locate our own box amongst the hundreds of others and can we can't even clean or paint anything at the mail station because it is "USPS Property".
Just to add insult to injury, we the residents pay for the electricity and maintenance of the postal stations with our annual maintenance assessments. Don't forget, we also just purchased all of the postal stations south of 466 last year as a part of the amenities purchase.
This is like buying a car, paying for the gas, insurance, and maintenance, paying someone to drive it, but you can't put a bumper sticker on it and if the driver wrecks it they immediately say "it's not my fault or responsibility".
How exactly does this double standard work again?
Old 02-09-2017, 01:03 PM

That happened to me also. The gift card never reached its destination. I think they must feel the envelopes before taking them to the main post office and if it feels like a gift card, in the pocket it goes. Needless to say I was pretty ticked off.
Closed Thread

Tags
mail, cards, christmas, postal, gift

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.