Major accident on Morse

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
Wow, so sorry to hear this. Thank God you're here to talk about it.
Thank you so much! I feel blessed to be alive. What happened to us was we were headed South on Morse at Carrerra. My friend was driving the GC and I being the passenger. Traffic was backed up from Rio Grande to 466 and a truck motioned for the car that they were allowing them a left hand turn on Carrerra. The poor man that we hit didn't realize the path was not clear and pulled directly in front of us. My side of the cart hit the car and luckily I was not thrown out but forward. I tore my thumb loose from my hand, had a back injury and my third surgery was ACL, Meniscus repair of my R knee. I lost the hearing in my left ear from a concussion I suffered above my eye. I've been praying for the couple in the car because I know they didn't mean to pull in front of us. God blessed me that day! I could be dead.......another rule of thumb....it is our responsibility to make sure the path is clear if someone is motioning that they are being kind enough to let us through.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:56 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I happened on that scene around 10:00 AM or so and saw several police fire units and recognized it was a serious mishap. Traffic was rerouted. i turned around in Del a Vista and went back to 441/and around.

This accident is the exact reason I hesitate to travel Morse by cart. You can bet that police monitoring of speed traffic etc will occur after this fatality

so sorry for the family
Old 01-13-2015, 04:03 PM
Veteran member

Even though driver error caused this accident,Morse Blvd is very dangerous for golf carts.Any logical person would rather be on a separate golf cart path[yes where accidents can still occur] than to be on a heavily traveled street where only a white painted line separates you from automobiles.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:13 PM
Platinum member

WESH2NEWS just reported the accident on the news that the fatality was a Frances Hughes. May he rest in peace.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
WESH2NEWS just reported the accident on the news that the fatality was a Frances Hughes. May he rest in peace.
Here's a link from WESH.com.

FHP: Man, 86, dies after golf cart crash with minivan in The Villages | Local News - WESH Home
Old 01-13-2015, 05:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

This was taken from an email written to the online newspaper, and it is so true:

Rule #2 – Golf carts do not have the “Right of way” when they decide to cross into the automobile lane to their left. The only legal places to move to the left in a golf cart is where the line is “Dashed”, not “Solid”, or at an intersection. Too many cart drivers “cheat over” before they get to the area where the line is dashed, thereby creating a hazard by cutting in front of cars going at the speed limit. Where the lines before a gate indicate that carts should merge left, they should still yield to cars on their left.

Because of where we live, we see this exact same driving at a local intersection, and not only do the carts cut across our lane, they do so at a high speed. I cannot tell you how many times we have received the middle finger salute or had the "F" word flung at us when a golf cart has crossed our lane to turn left.

Unfortunately, it was a fatality waiting to happen. I am sure the golf cart driver had done this maneuver numerous times before and gotten away with it. My sympathy lies with the occupants of the car. How does one sleep after you have killed someone in an accident such as this?

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-13-2015, 05:54 PM
Platinum member

Don't put blame on the roadway.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:54 PM
Platinum member

The report made it sound like driver of the golf car made a left turn from the right (golf car ) lane.
Please, TO ALL THOSE WHO ARE NEW to driving in a golf car:

When you want to make a left turn, it is proper to:

Use your mirrors to check what traffic is to the rear of your vehicle (just like in an auto)

Signal your intent AHEAD of time and ENTER the left lane when it is safe to do so.

Once you are in the left lane, when oncoming traffic is gone, make your left turn.

Non- street legal Golf cars ARE allowed to be in the left hand lane for this purpose. I think some folks really don't know this.
--------------

I have TWICE had the scare of rental golf cars spontaneously turning left from the right hand lane, crossing (with inches to spare) in front of my automobile…. one flapped her hand at me (signal?) while passing my front end- but I had NO advance warning in either case.
On both occasions, they were headed into Sterling Heights recreation center.

Thank G-d my reflexes kicked in and twice accidents were avoided- and Thank G-d there was no one behind ME as I jerked to a sudden stop. Thank G-d my heart palpitations quieted afterwards.

I would so like to see a manual given with every golf car purchased (or rented) here:
Rules of the Road for new golf car drivers in The Villages.

Be alert and sensible, so you may enjoy and live to tell the tale. Please.

Last edited by Uptown Girl; 01-13-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:06 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

From the reports I've read, I can't quite figure out if the golf cart was headed south on Morse and planning to turn left into Fuentes or was turning left from Fuentes onto Morse southbound. Either way, he pulled out in front of the mini-van. From the look if the pictures, I'd guess left from Fuentes.

Having lived near there, I know how frustrating it can be to sit and wait to turn left, whether in a car or a cart, especially during the snowbird season. I once sat for 35 minutes before being able to SAFELY turn left. We won't even discuss the very real fear of moving into the roadway to turn into my mini-village. I was not sorry to move. Unfortunately, this poor gentleman either thought he could safely cross or got tired of waiting and decided to chance it.

My prayers go out to his family and to the people in the mini-van.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-13-2015, 06:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

A good reminder that we should follow the rules of the road and be extra careful as we are all getting older and may not be able to react as fast as we did yesterday.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
This was taken from an email written to the online newspaper, and it is so true:

Rule #2 – Golf carts do not have the “Right of way” when they decide to cross into the automobile lane to their left. The only legal places to move to the left in a golf cart is where the line is “Dashed”, not “Solid”, or at an intersection. Too many cart drivers “cheat over” before they get to the area where the line is dashed, thereby creating a hazard by cutting in front of cars going at the speed limit. Where the lines before a gate indicate that carts should merge left, they should still yield to cars on their left.

Because of where we live, we see this exact same driving at a local intersection, and not only do the carts cut across our lane, they do so at a high speed. I cannot tell you how many times we have received the middle finger salute or had the "F" word flung at us when a golf cart has crossed our lane to turn left.

Unfortunately, it was a fatality waiting to happen. I am sure the golf cart driver had done this maneuver numerous times before and gotten away with it. My sympathy lies with the occupants of the car. How does one sleep after you have killed someone in an accident such as this?

Really? You are sure of this? The man is dead and you want to assure us he had made the same mistake numerous times before? Nice.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:27 PM
Gold member

Everyday you will see golf cart drivers with no clue as how to drive around this place. I would like to see a mandatory driving school or class for golf carts before you are allowed to drive one in the villages. It might save someone's life or prevent a crippling injury.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:50 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
The report made it sound like driver of the golf car made a left turn from the right (golf car ) lane.
Please, TO ALL THOSE WHO ARE NEW to driving in a golf car:

When you want to make a left turn, it is proper to:

Use your mirrors to check what traffic is to the rear of your vehicle (just like in an auto)

Signal your intent AHEAD of time and ENTER the left lane when it is safe to do so.

Once you are in the left lane, when oncoming traffic is gone, make your left turn.

Non- street legal Golf cars ARE allowed to be in the left hand lane for this purpose. I think some folks really don't know this.
--------------

I have TWICE had the scare of rental golf cars spontaneously turning left from the right hand lane, crossing (with inches to spare) in front of my automobile. one flapped her hand at me (signal?) while passing my front end- but I had NO advance warning in either case.
On both occasions, they were headed into Sterling Heights recreation center.

Thank G-d my reflexes kicked in and twice accidents were avoided- and Thank G-d there was no one behind ME as I jerked to a sudden stop. Thank G-d my heart palpitations quieted afterwards.

I would so like to see a manual given with every golf car purchased (or rented) here:
Rules of the Road for new golf car drivers in The Villages.

Be alert and sensible, so you may enjoy and live to tell the tale. Please.
Thank you Uptown Girl....everyone needs to understand this, and a manual or course is a great idea!!!
Old 01-14-2015, 06:34 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wilmington Ohio, bought in Hadley Village January 2009, move when we can retire

Especially this time of year, I drive as if every other driver just got their first license at 16and they are on the road for the first time alone.

Prayers to all involved. Even for all of us, it is always hard to loose a Villager.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
Bogie, the original story in the other paper said it was a head-on crash....they later changed it to a left turn in front of the van.
What paper?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.