Making Donations in front of the grocery store

Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2015, 05:23 PM
Sage

My pet peeve............I love Publix but they are the worst at asking for donations at the cash register and out in front of the store.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:42 PM

It's too bad there are shady people scamming. It hurts those really in need and in an emergency situation. We gave to one guy who lost his wallet and was sitting by the roadside distressed with his dog. He sent the money back to us although it was not necessary. Another time a lady broke down in tears when I gave her enough money to make a simple call and get a taxi to get home. She was not a scammer but it gets hard to tell...and people in real need will fall through the cracks when they are in a real on the spot emergency because of these other guys. I don't want to become indifferent but I don't want to be a sucker either...so I discern as best I can.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
My pet peeve............I love Publix but they are the worst at asking for donations at the cash register and out in front of the store.
I see it as a responsible company making an effort to be of service to the many points of light in their customer communities.
Publix also makes available many thousands of $ of their own corporate earnings to local charities.

Thanks Publix !!
Old 03-13-2015, 08:37 PM
Eternal Member

///

Last edited by Sandtrap328; 03-13-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopwood46 View Post
Oh,MY!!! I was one that gave $.... I even made the comment that it was nice to see such nice young men working for a cause.....and one responded something to the effect,
"Looks can be deceiving".....so there you go....

They might have had all their paperwork in order for Winn Dixie, but....did the store research like you did.... ?

Thank you for being so thorough. I am reporting it to the local police now.
Don't think I would call begging for money in front of a store working.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
I see it as a responsible company making an effort to be of service to the many points of light in their customer communities.
Publix also makes available many thousands of $ of their own corporate earnings to local charities.

Thanks Publix !!
Nice post, my thoughts exactly. If I have enough, I share it with those less fortunate.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 03-14-2015, 08:23 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

I was a sucker....
Old 03-14-2015, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I probably wouldn't donate to something that's not local, but when the kids are standing in front of the store--girl scouts, the high school football team, candy sales for the class of 2016, etc.--I like to contribute. And of course the Salvation Army at Christmas.

Thanks for the heads-up about this organization, memason.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Nice post, my thoughts exactly. If I have enough, I share it with those less fortunate.
You have a wonderful soul.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I probably wouldn't donate to something that's not local, but when the kids are standing in front of the store--girl scouts, the high school football team, candy sales for the class of 2016, etc.--I like to contribute. And of course the Salvation Army at Christmas.

Thanks for the heads-up about this organization, memason.
Nice one CF - I'm a sucker for the local kids and their teams ....Salvation Army at Christmas, the very best. I look at it this way, I think nothing of spending $20+ on an Estee Lauder Mascara or Lipstick, so what would a $1.00 do to me! As for the Salvation Army at Christmas, I donate every time I pass them, usually 50cents at a time, don't even miss it, but someone needs it more than I do.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.