Man arrested on jewelry theft charges.

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2012, 03:05 PM
Sage

Gracie...the garage door open MO was described in the article in the Ocala newspaper. It was not mentioned in the Daily Sun article.

http://www.ocala.com/article/2012012...20129971?tc=cr
Old 01-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Thank you 07! I doubt if they were all left open, that just doesn't seem likely that someone would leave with their garage door up...possibly unlocked, but open??

I ask HOW did he know who had jewelry? He wouldn't have gotten much but costume jewelry at our house and we can't be that much different than a lot of people. Some people are big into jewelry and some are not. How did he know WHO had it? I keep going back to that question.

AND the eternal question. Why do people start taking drugs to begin with?
Old 01-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Thank you 07! I doubt if they were all left open, that just doesn't seem likely that someone would leave with their garage door up...possibly unlocked, but open??

I ask HOW did he know who had jewelry? He wouldn't have gotten much but costume jewelry at our house and we can't be that much different than a lot of people. Some people are big into jewelry and some are not. How did he know WHO had it? I keep going back to that question.

AND the eternal question. Why do people start taking drugs to begin with?
Sometimes an injury requires someone take pain killers, Gracie. Most pain killers are narcotics and are very addictive. It isn't really black and white. Oxycontin is a very good example of a pain killer gone wrong, IMHO. I've interviewed many recovering addicts and addicts. Every single one has a different story. The only common denominator I've seen in their stories is that is wrecks families and lives.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
Sometimes an injury requires someone take pain killers, Gracie. Most pain killers are narcotics and are very addictive. It isn't really black and white. Oxycontin is a very good example of a pain killer gone wrong, IMHO. I've interviewed many recovering addicts and addicts. Every single one has a different story. The only common denominator I've seen in their stories is that is wrecks families and lives.
We recently have had a "house cleaning" of students bringing prescription drugs to school for distribution and personal use. Throughout the investigation, one fact kept emerging: drugs were taken from elderly individuals. Some of the group even mentioned that The Villages was a "gold mine" for such drugs. With the desperation with this economy and rampant drug use just outside your gates, I highly recommend that all show due diligence in keeping your homes secure.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl;4***39
The Daily Sun 1/21/2012

The Villages-Information from an ex-girlfriend led Marion County detectives to arrest a Summerfield man on charges tied to three jewelry thefts in The Villages and another in Summerfield, according to Marion County Sherriff's Office officials.

Detectives arrested 30 year-old John Carrol Story at approximately 11:50 a.m. at a home in the 14600 block of SE 87th Court, according to arrest affidavits. He could face four sets of charges of burglary and grand theft, according to the affidavits, and his bond was set at $200,000.

According to arrest affidavits, detectives said Story was involved in a series of burglaries and thefts that took place between Oct. 1, 2011 and Jan. 14, in The Villages, Wildwood, Sumter County and Marion County. Lt.Scott Byrd, commander of the South Marion District of the Marion County Sheriff's Office, said the arrest was part of a combined effort with the Wildwood Sheriff's Office as well as Community Watch in The Villages. Byrd said additional charges are pending.

Altogether, he said, detectives believe, Story was involved in the theft of more than $50,000 worth of property, much of it jewelry.

"He was going into the house and he was targeting jewelry," Byrd said. "Jewelry is one of those things where you can grab it and carry i out the door. It's easy to conceal."

Byrd said investigators were led to Story by information given to them by Story's ex-girlfriend. According to the arrest affidavits, detectives were led to a man who identified himself as the driver of the getaway vehicle, who showed them where the thefts took place, provided descriptions of what they did, and told them the motives for the thefts were drugs and money.

After Story was arrested,he was taken to the South Marion District Office in The Villages where he was questioned, and denied any involvement with any of the four cases, the affidavits stated. Byrd said the department has been in touch with the residents who reported the thefts, to keep them updated in the case.

"We're talking to the victims and obviously they're very relieved," he said.

BYrd said the next step is to try to recover the stolen property. Even if it's not recovered , he said an arrest can bring about peace of mind.

"It gives them some closure, and it helps them sleep at night."
These kind of criminals are all over the place. My better half works as an optician here in TV and several times a year comments to me about people coming in and stealing eyeglass frames off of their displays,...sometimes they will even have an extra person with them to distract the employess while they pocket the merchandise,....she caught one of them not long ago with the assistance of the police.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-25-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchgirl View Post
you work at a elementary school?
HAHAHA! Thank goodness, no. But we ARE a middle school. 12-15 year olds caught with Zanax, Oxycodone, ect. It used to be a problem having ibuprofen and midol!
Old 01-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Sage

In the process of selling my condo, the real estate agents advised me to put all drugs, (medications), away so that it would minimized the risk of someone taking them during a showing. He claimed they could distract him as he is one person and a couple might use one person talking to him while the other was looking around.

If one has children/grandchildren, I would tend to think they would be better kept in a safe place and locked-up to minimize the risk of getting hurt.

Just sayin..........

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Gold member

Is this Wildwood middle school?
Old 01-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Gold member
Default Open House!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdlfan View Post
HAHAHA! Thank goodness, no. But we ARE a middle school. 12-15 year olds caught with Zanax, Oxycodone, ect. It used to be a problem having ibuprofen and midol!
My Juniors and Seniors were caught grinding up the Oxy and snorting it up their nose before and during class.

Kids say the best place to get drugs is at " Open Houses" They have "Adults" go in for them and while looking over the home go thrrough drawers and medicine cabinets.

Drugs are rampant in all grade levels. The general population of tax payers have no idea how bad.

And some liberal administrations will not let the troopers in with Dogs for spot checks of lockers.

So you have the right to deal drugs. Then when caught they are removed from school however the taxpayer pays to have the student home tutored for the time of the suspension.

Teachers are helpless to search accuse or suspect for fear of legal attacks.

See a Adult wandering the village in a daze. It's most likely a public teacher retired and trying to acclimate back into a friendly environment.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Gold member

I searched many many school lockers during my time in education.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:10 PM
Gold member
Default Permissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
I searched many many school lockers during my time in education.
I glad you were able to. And when I went to school in Michigan the gym Coach and Principal could paddle! Fast forward to 2012

Would have got you fired in NY unless you were a admin had reasonable cause permission from the super and then the Police with there with you there.

Just what we had to deal with. Other schools are more strick some not so.

This is the day of cell phones. Students parent(s) and lawyer are there before you get your locker key.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
Is this Wildwood middle school?
No, Marion County, but I'm sure Wildwood has the same problems, as well as The Charter School and all the rest, unfortunately.....
Old 01-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdlfan View Post
We recently have had a "house cleaning" of students bringing prescription drugs to school for distribution and personal use. Throughout the investigation, one fact kept emerging: drugs were taken from elderly individuals. Some of the group even mentioned that The Villages was a "gold mine" for such drugs. With the desperation with this economy and rampant drug use just outside your gates, I highly recommend that all show due diligence in keeping your homes secure.
Jbdl, oh, that's terrible. Did you learn from the investigation how they were stealing drugs from the elderly? There don't seem to be that many break-ins in TV; and middle school children are not permitted to live here? Are they visiting relatives and raiding the medicine cabinets?
Old 01-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Jbdl, oh, that's terrible. Did you learn from the investigation how they were stealing drugs from the elderly? There don't seem to be that many break-ins in TV; and middle school children are not permitted to live here? Are they visiting relatives and raiding the medicine cabinets?
good questions.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.