Mark Morse Kills Veterans Celebration and Vietnam Memorial Wall

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2011, 04:15 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Boy, we are a suspicious bunch, aren't we? I agree I didn't like the title, but that was the whole point of the post -- to show the poster's viewpoint that Mark Morse squashed something he felt was important. Can't say I agree given the stated facts, but it's not my opinion, it is the OP's opinion.

I can understand the frustration he and his friends felt. It sounds like there was a lot of hard work done in the pre-planning and it sounds like there was no real explanation ultimately given as to why the whole thing was shut down. For the hard work done in to trying to have this occur, they have my sympathies. For the lack of final communication from TV staff, they have my sympathies. For the accusations made here (based simply on conjecture), my condolences. To me, it is counterproductive to accuse a poster of simply posting to bash the Morses or to state the poster is a fraud. All it does is create bad feelings for this site, gives a bad impression to newbies and doesn't help get the facts out, which is what I'm hoping was the true intent of the OP.

I still would like to hear all of the facts; the issues and concerns of TV for ultimately not going through with this; is the traveling wall a business concern?; and so on. Seems the more that is posted that stays on point, the more questions there are. To me, it has become less of an issue as to what Mark Morse wanted or did not want, it has become a mass of questions as to what parts of this project are feasible.

Personally, I would love to have the traveling wall here. For many, the trip to see it in D.C. is impossible either because of physical or financial issues. It would be nice if this could happen.

In the meantime, I will happily support the veterans in other ways. They are my heroes!
I agree with you, Red. (I usually do). However just look at his opening salvo "Mark Morse Kills Veterans Celebration and Vietnam Memorial Wall". He is openly accusing Mark Morse, single handedly, as the individual responsible for "killing" the project. Then we have BlueHeronFan's post, recently bumped by Skyguy79. Mr. Young's letter says a lot.
Mark Morse is in a no-win situation. He may not be aware of the charges made against him here and if is he there is little chance he can respond to anyone's satisfaction.
I guess I am in a defensive mode here. I dislike personal attacks on named individuals made by anonymous posters. I find the last sentence of the OP's post especially distasteful.
I am not saying Mark Morse didn't, or did, make the final decision. However, there are numerous and varied reasons why such a decision was made.
Do you think we will ever hear from the OP again? If the OP is sincere and, as you said " help get the facts out, which is what I'm hoping was the true intent of the OP", then we will hear from him/her again.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Mark Morse

I suspect if or when the Developer chooses to respond or not respond it has at its disposal total ownership and control of radio, television,newspaper and a homeowner association in TV to launch an offensive. So it would seem that the Developer does not need anyone coming to its rescue. By the way I don't view the Developer as an individual but rather an aggressive marketing enterprise and our government for the time being. So criticism isn't personal, its business. Some villagers keep forgetting that.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Default Vietnam Wall

If The Morse Family wanted it to happen it would happen.
If it is not on their terms nothing happens in The Villages.
It is obvious they did not want it to happen.
Don't look for a response or comment in The Daily Sun
Old 03-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflynn1 View Post
They may have wanted it to happen, but not at the expense of bearing the full costs of all the events, and having to re-sod the polo field after thousands of people came to view the wall. Nothing is "obvious" until we hear all the facts.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
They may have wanted it to happen, but not at the expense of bearing the full costs of all the events, and having to re-sod the polo field after thousands of people came to view the wall. Nothing is "obvious" until we hear all the facts.
So true.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflynn1 View Post
So true.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Sage
Cool Political

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
How many Republican candidates and authors pitching their latest writing were welcomed to TV? How much did it cost to get them here? Who eventually paid their bills? How many people did they draw from the outside? Were these Republican candidate and authors subject to attack or risk?.........
This should be in the political discussions.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:24 PM
Veteran member
Default They already had the money...so why the fund-raising that hurt the Relay for Life and

From the Daily Sun: “We now plan to draw funds out of reserves and complete the purchase of equipment for the new cancer center in The Villages. I’m confident that the continuing generosity of Villagers through the Mission for Moffitt campaign will replenish those reserves in time."
The money in the reserves results from income exceeding costs of running the place!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratogaman View Post
From the Daily Sun: “We now plan to draw funds out of reserves and complete the purchase of equipment for the new cancer center in The Villages. I’m confident that the continuing generosity of Villagers through the Mission for Moffitt campaign will replenish those reserves in time."
The money in the reserves results from income exceeding costs of running the place!
We will never know. Perhaps the bad publicity caused this to happen. Maybe it was another reason. This was in an article this morning that says that the Health Alliance is now partnering with the medical teaching facility and hospital at the University of Southern Florida at Tampa. (I can't find the paper, and I can't remember the name of the school..is that right?)

Personally, I welcome a medical teaching facility being involved with medical care in The Villages.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:34 AM
Sage

The history of funding and fundraising for the Villages hospital system has never been clearly documented for me. The Auxiliary and other support groups have conducted numerous fundraising benefits and activities over the years for various facilities and equipment additions to the Hospital. People have drawn a bulls eye on Moffitt fundraising because it has been so visible and persistent.

I am no expert in this arena, but, it seems to me that this is how community not for profit hospitals grow... From revenue in excess of expenses and community fundraising and support.

I welcome the announcement of an affiliation with University of South Florida. We are the perfect incubator for a Framingham type study on aging baby boomers and elder care.

I used to say the medical care was lagging the demand. I think this former shortcoming has improved dramatically in the last couple of years.

Back to the topic at hand.... sounds like the project grew too large and ambitious; it seems like the VFW post would have been a logical place to host this but they were brought in too late. I'm sure there were business reasons that the Villages opted out, but, "anti-military" is probably not one of them.

Last edited by villages07; 03-31-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:38 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

I happen to be familiar with the event since the Vintage Car Club ( where I am a board member) was approached to provide cars for the parade. With some knowledge of the event I can vouch for the writers facts.

So stop looking for ulterior motives in the writer.

After working with the same people on issues at the "Cruise In" I can fully emphasize with his frustation.

BTW if he is who I think he is he has family members currently in the Middle East protecting all of us.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelZ View Post

... So stop looking for ulterior motives in the writer.

OK... So what "were" the motives of the original poster, who has never returned to participate in any debate of this topic?

For me, when a post is reduced to attacking a person(s) [Mark Morse, the Developer, Morse Family or anyone else], the whole thing looses a little credibility with me.

Just trying to keep it real ....
Old 03-31-2011, 08:12 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

Possibly to inform you and me of what transpired. Obviously you have never had to deal with the Developers and his team.

I suggest you listen more and attack less.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
Would the response have been different if TV was incorporated into a city government? Has that option ever been seriously discussed?
Self serving politicians vs benevolent dictator

Greedy, corrupt politicians vs benevolent dictator

Tax dollar consuming, waste generating bureaucracies vs benevolent dictator

Money talks zoning vs benevolent dictator

Political hacks spending tax dollars vs benevolent dictator

Chicago style politics vs benevolent dictator

Powerful special interests buying elections and guzzling their reward of tax dollars for votes vs benevolent dictator

Special study committees and endless decision making commissions vs benevolent dictator

Can you imagine a city government project as large and successful as the Villages being created on time and on budget with local politics in the equation?

Hmmmm..... let me think about that.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:36 AM

fyi
Benevolent dictatorship is a form of government in which an authoritarian leader exercises political power for the benefit of the whole population rather than exclusively for his or her own self-interest or benefit or for the benefit of only a small portion of the population. A benevolent dictator may allow for some democratic decision-making to exist, such as through public referendums.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.