Mark Morse Kills Veterans Celebration and Vietnam Memorial Wall

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2011, 11:24 AM

As previous posts have noted, we would like to hear the developer's side of this story but we won't. Perhaps he could be questioned at a town meeting - oh, that's right, we don't have one and even if we did, he would take no questions from the commoners. Since I doubt I will ever run into him after living here 7 years, all I have to go by is past behavior on his part. Let's see - the amenity lawsuit, selling rec centers at inflated costs back to us, refusal to do the cart paths until the lawsuit was won and the AAC stepped up, trying to stick District 4 for the cost of a sinkhole on his golf course, the whole Moffett fiasco, Relay for Life being cut off and illegally shooting elk. In my opinion, even if he did address this issue, which he won't, I would find anything he has to say suspect.

As for the "how dare you say something negative" post, I think the cause Togetherwecare is supporting speaks volumes on his character and dedication to our veterans. I thank you for your hard work and taking the time to inform us of your cause. I'm getting real tired of the "love it or leave it" mentality that puts people down when they voice a concern over something happening here in The Villages. Not all people in the Villages choose to live their lives with their head in the sand their butt in the air. Since we will never hear objective truth from the developer, where are we supposed to get the facts on issues that affect us all? From places like this and I am grateful for it!
Old 03-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Veteran member

Why didn't American Legion Post 347 put it on their property?
Old 03-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Default Confused........

While I applaud the efforts of you and all others involved to recognize veterans past and present I am at a loss to see how the Moving Wall fits into this.

The original moving wall is a replica of the Viet Nam Memorial in Washington, DC. The real memorial has become known as the healing wall. It is healing to all that hurt from the war. The veterans that went, the ones that didn't go. The war protestors and the folks that left the U.S., it is supposed to help or to start the healing process as a country.

The original moving wall was started by combat vets that were so affected by their visits to the wall they wanted to make a replica available for all of those that could not or would not go to Washington.

Both the actual wall and the moving wall(s) have become sacred ground. Most of the time you are lucky if you hear quiet whispers or murmurs, especially when visited during the night time hours. These are spirtual places for a lot of people. Perhaps it is the first time seeing the name of someone of significance or perhaps the opportunity to say goodbye. For many it is an emotional excperience even if it is not the first visit. For me it is the recognition that these names are special. They are not the names of victims. These are America's best. There are over 200 Medal of Honor Recipients on that wall. There are hundred and thousands of Navy Crosses, Distinguished Service Crosses and Bronze Stars. The names represent over 58,000 Purple Hearts

The Wall and it's traveling replicas should not be a part of anything else. Not the center ring of a three ring circus, not part of a fund raising effort and certainly not associated with any bashing of any individual or organization. After all it is the healing wall. It should be presented on it's own with dignity. Not to be used to promote any organization, corporation or individual.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Gold member

I moved here to live, not to have the Morse family entertain me.This is not going to happen,so move on.Seems the older we get the more personal it becomes.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
Taking everything into consideration, I have a real problem with a persons first post bashing our community and developer.... if they don't like the community, go away and leave us, the ones that do, alone.....

sheeeeeeeesh !!!

First time posters have as much right as anybody to post a topic of interest to them. It is no different than a letter to the editor of the newspaper. Do people have to send numerous letters to the editor before they can write one with a controversial theme. No.

In fact, this first time poster came to exactly the right place to post this information. One does not need to be part of the regular group in order to take advantage of the power offered by this forum.

I have read and re-read the original post and, nowhere, have I found where he said that he didn't like the community.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:37 PM
nkrifats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHeronFan View Post
I am a member of the Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 1036 The Villages.
Here is a copy of the email that we received from the Chapter President regarding this matter.
I wish to thank each and everyone of you for the vast amount of work done, particularly behind the scenes, on making this event happen.

The Entertainment Department of The Villages went above and beyond with their efforts to make this happen!! and a hardy thank you to them!! When the planning stages were culminated, they took the next step and presented the proposal to Commercial Property Management and that's when proverbial "S" hit the fan. They would not and could not tackle the many Liability issues.

"Plan B" you will note, was hosting at the American Legion, pending approval of their BOD. John Gibbons had other "Duties/Engagement" and did not attend the meeting. Their board decided that they did not have enough "Head Time" to properly host this event.

On Wednesday, March 9,2011, I resubmitted a bare bones request to Commercial Property Management Division, for any site for this project. On Friday, March 11,2011, I received a communication from them that the division explaining, the still overwhelming liability issue with the Wall.

So, lessons learned the hard way, we will be unable to sponsor this project this year.

Thanks again for all your hard work, to each and everyone of you. Lets not sit back and point fingers at anybody for the things that are beyond our control. Like all good soldiers, we pick-up the pieces and move on.

The Moving Wall will be on display at Wickham Park in Melbourne. May 1-8th at the Florida Reunion of Vietnam Veterans. We are in the process of finding those who wish to attend with car pooling dates.

Looking forward to seeing each of you at the April 5th General Membership Meeting. (Election Night)

Please come and cast your vote and i look forward to your continued support.

Alonzo Young, President
VVA Chapter 1036
The Villages
Thank you for posting this response.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany
Default Bean Counters Are A Necessary Evil

At one time, I was director of special events for the city where I lived. As a military community, we began discussions regarding hosting "The Wall" in our area. We had a similar steering committee and 7 cities were involved. The fee to have The Wall visit was prohibitive. In my professional opinion at the time, there was an extremely high percentage of profit for the promotors.

Did your steering committee prepare a planning budget? Did the budget include a conservative estimate of income through fund-raising and sponsorships? Or, was the steering committee expecting the developer to shoulder the majority of the expense? From my past experience, I'm guessing the expenses were substantial.

While the events planned at TV sound wonderful, the additional costs of a variety of free events, plus the cost for logistical support would be enough to make any business-minded person take pause.

Patriotism can be expressed in many ways and does not require spending excessive amounts of money.

Did the steering committee consider any other alternatives besides having "The Wall" displayed? Maybe instead of the moving wall, uniformed volunteers could conduct an around-the-clock reading of each and every name on The Wall. Together with the ancilliary events you had planned, the community could particpate and your efforts would surely be appreciated.

Don't let disappointment over losing one aspect of your celebration cloud your enthusiasm! While the steering committee may be dismayed over losing this one component (The Wall), why not carry on with the other activities? A few ticketed events and some sponsorship could pay for everything else you had planned.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
First time posters have as much right as anybody to post a topic of interest to them. It is no different than a letter to the editor of the newspaper. Do people have to send numerous letters to the editor before they can write one with a controversial theme. No.

In fact, this first time poster came to exactly the right place to post this information. One does not need to be part of the regular group in order to take advantage of the power offered by this forum.

I have read and re-read the original post and, nowhere, have I found where he said that he didn't like the community.
Thank you Talk Host.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Gold member

Would the response have been different if TV was incorporated into a city government? Has that option ever been seriously discussed?
Old 03-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj44 View Post
Thank you Talk Host.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Sage
Cool Accepting disapointments

There are times when we can't have everything we want. Sometimes I think TV residents spend too much time on what WE want instead of looking past our cozy comfort zone and outward to others who have much more critical needs to be met/helped.

I have visited The Wall in Washington various times and it is deeply moving. Every memorial in Washington DC is deeply moving. Every time we go there we say, "Why don't we visit here more often?!?!? This place is a national treasure!"

I think most people in TV can afford the time and travel costs of going to see the real thing and far more. The Lincoln Memorial......Jefferson Memorial.....read what is on THOSE walls inside!
Old 03-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

First let me start by saying that I have nothing but the utmost respect and praise for all of our servicemen and veterans, they are a huge part of what truly makes this the greatest country on earth. However I agree with tommyt and fmf doc. I don't like the fact that a first time poster is on here bashing TV and making statements that haven't been substantiated, not saying he doesn't have the right to do it, just sayin I don't like it. I also agree with FMF Doc, I don't believe the wall was created to be to be the center of a three ring circus. One last point, I didn't see anything in togetherwecan's post that said he sat across from Mark or had a direct communication from him stopping this alleged event, as such the title of his post in inappopriate at best, most likely it's a total sham....gn
Old 03-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
I moved here to live, not to have the Morse family entertain me.
I agree that many seem to erroneously feel that the Morse family is responsible in some paternalistic way for our welfare, however...

The wall is a symbol of healing and reconciliation - surely NOT entertainment!
Old 03-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdarcy View Post
One way to look at the situation is the men and women in our armed forces sacrificed and continue to sacrifice so much to allow us, including the Morse family, the prosperity we enjoy. In this light The Villages stands as a living tribute to them. They've also fought to secure our rights and freedoms. In this light the Morses are exercising their right to do what they want with property they and their companies own. The same securities we enjoy. Again, made possible by the sacrifices of our uniformed men and women.

I would have been very moved to attend the celebrations planned by the TogetherWeCare steering committee and sorely regret that they will not occur. However, each day I celebrate the good fortune afforded me to live in such a beautiful place with such gifted, talented people coming at a cost so dear. Our homes and our way of life in TV exist as a perpetual honor and rememberance to the United States military forces.
Well said!!

Old 03-27-2011, 10:11 PM

I am a retired usaf vietnam vet. Agree with a lot of the posts and we dont know the whole story. Lot of gossip . . Life goes on. Lets enjoy it while we still see the right side of the grass

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.