Mark Morse Kills Veterans Celebration and Vietnam Memorial Wall

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2011, 02:00 AM
Veteran member

This attack on Morse seems somewhat self-serving.
Is this post any different than SEIU or Jesse Jackson picketing in front of peoples houses to get their way.
Apparently if you don't support this you are unpatriotic, have never met a veteran, and have had no veterans in your family. Nonsense.

Is this show really any different than a touring company of "Cats?"
A dinner-dance might be nice, a flea market might be fun, and a vintage-plane flyover (why?) might be entertaining for about 15 seconds; and who was supposed to put on this "name" concert?
Do veterans need to be told over and over how terrific they are? The "tellers" are usually politicians or somebody with a sales pitch.

I'm sure this is done by a non-profit group. Does this mean there is no profit?

An Elvis impersonator is not Elvis... the Beatles tribute guys are not the Beatles. This is not the Vietnam Wall.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:06 AM
Default You think this has something to do with it

The Developer Has Second Thoughts
BUT something was missing. The Mark Morse’s Organizations were hesitating to provide any form of support. First it was proposed that a portion of any money raised would go to Moffitt Center. The Veterans Groups rejected that idea because they felt that there were other worthy causes to help present and future veterans that could use any proceeds or excess donations.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratton View Post
The Developer Has Second Thoughts
BUT something was missing. The Mark Morse’s Organizations were hesitating to provide any form of support. First it was proposed that a portion of any money raised would go to Moffitt Center. The Veterans Groups rejected that idea because they felt that there were other worthy causes to help present and future veterans that could use any proceeds or excess donations.
Thanks Gratton, that's the part that rankles me. Why does everything have to go to the Morse's pet charity? Of course the veterans are going to want to use any proceeds to go to veteran related causes.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithgerri View Post
I am a retired usaf vietnam vet. Agree with a lot of the posts and we dont know the whole story. Lot of gossip . . Life goes on. Lets enjoy it while we still see the right side of the grass
Also a Vietnam Vet and agree and liked your post. For those who ever have the opportunity to visit the Vietnam Memorial in Washington, DC, please do so, it is very moving and even after all these years to see some of the notes, flowers and keepsakes that are left at the wall is amazing.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:02 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I've said this before and I'll say it again. If you hold a charitable event on TV property, whether a rec center or the Polo Fields or wherever, a portion of the proceeds goes to Moffitt. Period. That's the present policy. It is what it is. I don't agree with it, but it's the Morse's land and the developer has a right to do and say what will be done on it. We may not like it but there are alternatives -- either give Moffitt a share or hold it elsewhere.

When reading the original post, I did think this might be too much for TV to handle. It is not just a golf fest or a parade. It is a viewing that will bring many from outside of TV. It is a parade. It is a dinner/dance. It is a lot of things going on. I would love to see it happen but I can certainly see where it might not be feasible. I wonder if TV would be more amenable if it were scaled down. Also, why couldn't the wall be erected by the VA Center and the parade held around one of the squares or the Vetran's Meemorial or the Polo Fields?

I doubt we will hear TV's reasons for ultimately turning it down, but this is one time where there might be some truly valid reasons regardless of how much we would like to see it occur.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-28-2011, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,485 Times in 1,901 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Was this going to be during Polo season?
Old 03-28-2011, 08:56 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Was this going to be during Polo season?
No.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-28-2011, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,485 Times in 1,901 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I've said this before and I'll say it again. If you hold a charitable event on TV property, whether a rec center or the Polo Fields or wherever, a portion of the proceeds goes to Moffitt. Period. That's the present policy. It is what it is. I don't agree with it, but it's the Morse's land and the developer has a right to do and say what will be done on it. We may not like it but there are alternatives -- either give Moffitt a share or hold it elsewhere.

When reading the original post, I did think this might be too much for TV to handle. It is not just a golf fest or a parade. It is a viewing that will bring many from outside of TV. It is a parade. It is a dinner/dance. It is a lot of things going on. I would love to see it happen but I can certainly see where it might not be feasible. I wonder if TV would be more amenable if it were scaled down. Also, why couldn't the wall be erected by the VA Center and the parade held around one of the squares or the Veteran's Memorial or the Polo Fields?

I doubt we will hear TV's reasons for ultimately turning it down, but this is one time where there might be some truly valid reasons regardless of how much we would like to see it occur.
Intelligent and well written post Red, as usual.

The original post was also well presented.

K9lovers has the closest guess to me as to why it was refused. In my opinion.

I suggest to those who don't like the developer that it would have benefited his sale of homes.

There is so much we don't know.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:14 AM
Default Great post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt. View Post
This attack on Morse seems somewhat self-serving.
Is this post any different than SEIU or Jesse Jackson picketing in front of peoples houses to get their way.
Apparently if you don't support this you are unpatriotic, have never met a veteran, and have had no veterans in your family. Nonsense.

Is this show really any different than a touring company of "Cats?"
A dinner-dance might be nice, a flea market might be fun, and a vintage-plane flyover (why?) might be entertaining for about 15 seconds; and who was supposed to put on this "name" concert?
Do veterans need to be told over and over how terrific they are? The "tellers" are usually politicians or somebody with a sales pitch.

I'm sure this is done by a non-profit group. Does this mean there is no profit?

An Elvis impersonator is not Elvis... the Beatles tribute guys are not the Beatles. This is not the Vietnam Wall.
agree completely.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,741 Times in 1,382 Posts
Default minority commentary so noted....

you guys must have a hell of a time going to church....eh?

btk
Old 03-28-2011, 09:39 AM

[QUOTE=Talk Host;341281]First time posters have as much right as anybody to post a topic of interest to them. It is no different than a letter to the editor of the newspaper. Do people have to send numerous letters to the editor before they can write one with a controversial theme. No.

A "letter to the Editor" has to be signed, or it is not published. That is to prevent cowards from "ranting".
Old 03-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Default Vietnam Memorial Wall

First let me say that after testing the villages lifestyle for about 8 years, it was primarily the conservative, pro veteran/military attitude that finally brought my wife and I permanently to this wonderful place.

I do have difficulty understanding those that have made a new life here yet boast how they do not care for the developer. As far as I know, this community was and has always been controlled by the same family. In all the years we have been coming here, before permanently relocating, I never felt that the developer and his family were not supportive of the military and veterans. In fact I felt the opposite.

As a veteran myself, US Army 1969 - 1978, I would love for this project to take place and would hope that Mr Morse would address this issue. I do, as others have commented, feel that there is probably more to the story, as there usually is. Look forward to hearing more.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Sage
Cool Traveling memorial versus the real thing?

Thank you Alaska, redwitch and others for the insightful and balanced posts.

Personally, I don't see why people here would get so worked up over a very scaled-down replica being taken around the country, and why people are getting so worked up about it not being brought here.....especially since the real thing in Washington is surrounded in walking distance by the OTHER such moving monuments!

Why not organize an excursion of TV'rs to go to the real monument in Washington DC, and enjoy each others' company and show solidarity for our veterans THERE?

The Vietnam Memorial location there IS set up for hundreds of thousands of people to gather all at once--it is done all the time, i.e. rallies for presidential inauguration, million man march, Beck's 8/28 rally, the liberal response to that one, etc.

I see excursions from TV all the time, such as those in the lifelong learning college that go to the Holy Land, geneaology trip to UT, etc. Why not organize an excursion to Washington DC and gather as TV'rs at the Memorial--the real thing--THERE?
Old 03-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Founder

Quote:
Quote by same

A "letter to the Editor" has to be signed, or it is not published. That is to prevent cowards from "ranting"
I'm guessing that your real name is "same"
Old 03-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James
Default Two Sides...

IMHO There's two sides to every story. I'm a patriot....for heaven's sake, my dawg is the Seabees Island X-8 Mascot. (if I can figure out how to include a picture, you can see her guarding the Seabees Bulldozer in No. Tonawanda, NY.). I've been to The Wall in Washington,DC and found it to be an experience I'll never forget. I couldn't & didn't want to talk for an hour after I left. When the Moving Wall came to our area, I had a totally different experience. It was a bit of a carnival affair and certainly lost a lot of the solemnity that I experienced in D. C. Needless to say, I was disappointed. But.....it was still honoring our great Veterans. I would do anything to support our Veterans and our wonderful soldiers. I'll be interested to hear "the other side of the story". No matter what, we live in a great country. Thank you to all who are serving and have served. YOU'RE THE BEST!!!!

cid:5FE2AE31-EBF2-4717-9A18-0D1C72A0DDEE/photo.JPG
"Lexi - Seabees Island X-8 Mascot"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.