Mark Morse Kills Veterans Celebration and Vietnam Memorial Wall

Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2011, 08:43 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
Back to the topic at hand.... sounds like the project grew too large and ambitious; it seems like the VFW post would have been a logical place to host this but they were brought in too late. I'm sure there were business reasons that the Villages opted out, but, "anti-military" is probably not one of them.
I agree totally. I think this is in fact what may have happened. Just think of the legal issues, etc from something this large.
I can say without a doubt TV is far from and never will be Aniti-Military!!

Army Guy
Old 03-31-2011, 11:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelZ View Post
I suggest you listen more and attack less.
Applies to you also imho........
Old 03-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Mark Morse.....

I am just asking but how do you jump to another forum to respond to a discussion ? In a previous post I mentioned "Republican" and was reminded that my comments belonged in the political forum. Yet throughout this entire discussion the theme has been about "who has the power" in TV, and is it being fairly applied? So if that poster is correct, it may be after a review of each post you will agree with this posterand suggest that this entire discussion immediately be moved to the political forum? However, I suspect and have read in other discussions objections by some triggered by a word or words that apparently upset them, such as "Republican". Perhaps I should have been more mindful but my intent was not to address Republicans in particular but to make a comparison of well known people who draw huge crowds of people here, as the concerns for safety ,etc was one of the objections cited by the original poster as interferring in an attempt to the event to TV. It is my personal belief that all things end up political, relationships, business transaction, romances and sometimes even who we select to play golf with. We can only have meaningful discussion when we let down our guard and listen not only to the words but their meaning in the context of that discussion. I am never offended by words but may be by one's actions.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:50 PM
Gold member

On page 3 on the April 2011 POA bulletin is a comment that the traveling Vietnam Memorial Wall will be at the American Legion on Rolling Acres Road on June 4, 5 and 6, 2011
Old 04-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Default Honor our Vets in your own way!

I don't need the healing wall to honor our real heroes... I am perfectly capable of keeping my thoughts and prayers in my heart for those who have lived and died defending this great country... If you need a Moving Wall in order to honor our great men and women I think you are lost in your own world...Please join me in shedding a tear for them and their families every time you get a glimpse of an American Flag...the fact that it still stands proudly in my front yard says it all...They have and always will be their for us with or without the Moving Wall!

God Bless our Vets
Doug b
Old 04-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk7951 View Post
On page 3 on the April 2011 POA bulletin is a comment that the traveling Vietnam Memorial Wall will be at the American Legion on Rolling Acres Road on June 4, 5 and 6, 2011
I read that too.

Wonder what this thread was about?
Old 04-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Veteran member
Default American Legion

The American Legion is logically the best place to host the Moving Wall. The Wall has the names of over 58,000 Americans killed in Vietnam.

Even though I was in that conflict - I still wonder why the USA entered that war. It was a civil war. The USA had no interests in Vietnam and the Vietnamese posed no threat to the USA. If South Vietnam had gone Communist (which it did), that did not mean the US would fall to Communism. The Americans who died did not die defending our country - but rather a two bit dictatorship propped up by the US government.

Basically, it was 58,000 Americans killed for no reason.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I read that too.

Wonder what this thread was about?
Yes, Gracie, it seems curiouser and curioser now that we learn it will be displayed in our area. Hmmmm.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
The American Legion is logically the best place to host the Moving Wall. The Wall has the names of over 58,000 Americans killed in Vietnam.

Even though I was in that conflict - I still wonder why the USA entered that war. It was a civil war. The USA had no interests in Vietnam and the Vietnamese posed no threat to the USA. If South Vietnam had gone Communist (which it did), that did not mean the US would fall to Communism. The Americans who died did not die defending our country - but rather a two bit dictatorship propped up by the US government.

Basically, it was 58,000 Americans killed for no reason.
I also am a Vietnam vet. I agree with your post Tbugs.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug11 View Post
If you need a Moving Wall in order to honor our great men and women I think you are lost in your own world...

Doug b
Doug - the title of your post is "Honor Vets in Your Own Way" yet you follow that with the statement above.

I'm thinking that for some, the wall (in DC or "moving") may be their own way...
Old 04-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Default Togetherwecare Response

I would like to thank all those who read my letter. I have been a resident of The Villages for many years. I have complete awe and respect for the Developer's family who have found a great formula for providing a great lifestyle and be able to make a profit. However, like the Villages ads states lits the residents who build the community they just build the houses. I place the letter on The Talk of The Villages because, unforunately, it is the ONLY vehicle we have for putting news in front of our residents and providing FACTS that we knew would not make the papers. In fact for those skeptics among you The Villages Daily Sun carried the first story about our endeavor on November 14, 2010 in Section C1.

Let my address some of the comments:

1) The Veterans Celebration and the displaying of the Vietnam Memorial Traveling Wall was an event for Villages residents, Villages Veterans and planned by Villages residents. At the time of cancellation not only were all the Veterans Organizations listed on the previous letter participating by many other Villages organizations had heard about the events and wanted in in any fashion. Music group wanted to play solemn music near the Wall, marching groups wanted to participate in the "Shadow Walk", car clubs wanted to transport injured and disabled Veterans so that they to could participate

2) The Wall was going to be open 24-hours a-day/ 4 days attended to by an Honor Guard of Veterans. The area was to be lighted 24-hours a day. The Celebration and Parade was going to last one morning or afternoon. Both events were going to be separated by sufficient distance as to keep the solemn presentation of The Wall and the celebration apart, yet allow for people to walk over or ride by golf cart. A "shadow walk" was going to be held on a separate evening to honor deceased veterans. This walk would be close by and have a candle lighting close to the Wall

3) The Wall has a cost, like it or not. To pay for The Wall, and other portions of the celebration a Dinner/Dance and sponsorships were planned. In addition, The Entertainment Department had offered to assist with both a pre "charity" event at Savannah Center AND a "named" concert. Their words. They offered to put a down payment to secure The Wall. None of these promises took place.

4) The only venue capable of providing sufficient off the street parking for cars and golf carts was the Polo Field. The only area providing some shade was the Polo Field. The only area that could handle people watching comfortably, being able to walk between The celebration and The Wall without risking injury was the Polo Field. The only area that was not in the middle of an active commerical shopping center and that didn't require the closing of streets was The Polo Field. The only area where spectators could watch the fly-over with a respectable missing plane formation in honor of deceased veterans without being hit by a distracted driver was the Polo Field. The only area where hundresd/thousands of people could participate in the "Shadow Walk" without risking a car accident was the Polo Field. The only area that did not have truck traffic roaring next to it was the Polo Field. It would have been very peaceful and solemn with a truck blaring its horn next to The Wall or a line up of truck traffic waiting for a Macdonald next to The Wall. The only area where 24-hour security for The Wall and sponsor and participating organization tentswas the polo Field. Did I bore you enough yet??

4) With all due respect to Al Young of the Vietnam Veterans of America CommericaL Property Management did the only smart thing. The question is why the Entertainment Department pushed the commerical areas when both areas had the same "liability" issues; meaning too dangerous?

5) I don't question the Villages legitimate concern for damage to The Polo Field; I do question their lack of concern when presented with information that their inital assessment was incorrect. I do question their failure to sit down with us to review the material, I do question their failure to call the vendor and ask him to review installation procedures again, I do question their failure to contact previous hosts who had brought and installed The Wall to other areas and ask them how the installation went and how much damage was caused. These failures cannot be explained.

6) Meanwhile the Golf Fest, Christmas Parades, Hoe Downs, the proposed Renaisaince Fair in September, horse pulls, concerts, etc. are encouraged to use the Polo Field for the same reasons why we wanted to. Ability to handle large groups and safety.

7) Don't kid yourself Mark Morse knew exactly what the plans were, and if he wanted us to work together to find a way to bring these activities to fruition it would have happened. But Mark didn't care. Why? I don't know.

Even a great person can make mistakes and is not beneath criticism. Grand Dad Harold Schwartz and Dad Gary Morse would never have let this occur.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Mark Morse

Togetherwecare, that is what I said;albeit by making comparisons with other planned events. You are spot on with your mention of no avenue to communicate your concerns. The Developer, the aggresive Marketing Enterprise owns or controls all coomunication avenue in TV and I include the Village Voice which relies on funding from the Developer. As for the POA they are too timid and have pulled back on issues of importance
Old 04-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

My opinion, expressed earlier in this thread is unchanged.

Togetherwecare states that
"the Golf Fest, Christmas Parades, Hoe Downs, the proposed Renaisaince Fair in September, horse pulls, concerts, etc. are encouraged to use the Polo Field for the same reasons why we wanted to. Ability to handle large groups and safety."

However, those events either make money, or cost very little. My opinion stands.

Meanwhile, the event is taking place in another location. So why belabor this issue?
Old 04-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Morse's

I am one who loves The Villages and appreciate all that the Morse's have
done to make our lives better. I don't believe he should be demonized because of a concern that he may have regarding the risk and costs of
any potential event. I am sure he is not anti military as no one could pull
together and manage such a great community without having feelings.
Yep, they receive rewards for their work and by God they all deserve it.
To try to run him or the family down while enjoying all the fruits of their
labor is sad. I only hope some will get behind him and understand his concerns. Oh yes, I do not know the family or have any association with them. I just enjoy the work they have put in to make all of lives a great deal happier.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togetherwecare View Post
I would like to thank all those who read my letter. I have been a resident of The Villages for many years. I have complete awe and respect for the Developer's family who have found a great formula for providing a great lifestyle and be able to make a profit. However, like the Villages ads states lits the residents who build the community they just build the houses. I place the letter on The Talk of The Villages because, unforunately, it is the ONLY vehicle we have for putting news in front of our residents and providing FACTS that we knew would not make the papers. In fact for those skeptics among you The Villages Daily Sun carried the first story about our endeavor on November 14, 2010 in Section C1.

Let my address some of the comments:

1) The Veterans Celebration and the displaying of the Vietnam Memorial Traveling Wall was an event for Villages residents, Villages Veterans and planned by Villages residents. At the time of cancellation not only were all the Veterans Organizations listed on the previous letter participating by many other Villages organizations had heard about the events and wanted in in any fashion. Music group wanted to play solemn music near the Wall, marching groups wanted to participate in the "Shadow Walk", car clubs wanted to transport injured and disabled Veterans so that they to could participate

2) The Wall was going to be open 24-hours a-day/ 4 days attended to by an Honor Guard of Veterans. The area was to be lighted 24-hours a day. The Celebration and Parade was going to last one morning or afternoon. Both events were going to be separated by sufficient distance as to keep the solemn presentation of The Wall and the celebration apart, yet allow for people to walk over or ride by golf cart. A "shadow walk" was going to be held on a separate evening to honor deceased veterans. This walk would be close by and have a candle lighting close to the Wall

3) The Wall has a cost, like it or not. To pay for The Wall, and other portions of the celebration a Dinner/Dance and sponsorships were planned. In addition, The Entertainment Department had offered to assist with both a pre "charity" event at Savannah Center AND a "named" concert. Their words. They offered to put a down payment to secure The Wall. None of these promises took place.

4) The only venue capable of providing sufficient off the street parking for cars and golf carts was the Polo Field. The only area providing some shade was the Polo Field. The only area that could handle people watching comfortably, being able to walk between The celebration and The Wall without risking injury was the Polo Field. The only area that was not in the middle of an active commerical shopping center and that didn't require the closing of streets was The Polo Field. The only area where spectators could watch the fly-over with a respectable missing plane formation in honor of deceased veterans without being hit by a distracted driver was the Polo Field. The only area where hundresd/thousands of people could participate in the "Shadow Walk" without risking a car accident was the Polo Field. The only area that did not have truck traffic roaring next to it was the Polo Field. It would have been very peaceful and solemn with a truck blaring its horn next to The Wall or a line up of truck traffic waiting for a Macdonald next to The Wall. The only area where 24-hour security for The Wall and sponsor and participating organization tentswas the polo Field. Did I bore you enough yet??

4) With all due respect to Al Young of the Vietnam Veterans of America CommericaL Property Management did the only smart thing. The question is why the Entertainment Department pushed the commerical areas when both areas had the same "liability" issues; meaning too dangerous?

5) I don't question the Villages legitimate concern for damage to The Polo Field; I do question their lack of concern when presented with information that their inital assessment was incorrect. I do question their failure to sit down with us to review the material, I do question their failure to call the vendor and ask him to review installation procedures again, I do question their failure to contact previous hosts who had brought and installed The Wall to other areas and ask them how the installation went and how much damage was caused. These failures cannot be explained.

6) Meanwhile the Golf Fest, Christmas Parades, Hoe Downs, the proposed Renaisaince Fair in September, horse pulls, concerts, etc. are encouraged to use the Polo Field for the same reasons why we wanted to. Ability to handle large groups and safety.

7) Don't kid yourself Mark Morse knew exactly what the plans were, and if he wanted us to work together to find a way to bring these activities to fruition it would have happened. But Mark didn't care. Why? I don't know.

Even a great person can make mistakes and is not beneath criticism. Grand Dad Harold Schwartz and Dad Gary Morse would never have let this occur.
This sure is an intelligent response. Please reread the last lines. This isn't about the whole family or the people who built this development up until now. You can never change ones opinion but you can state what happened in one situation without lumping it into a bashing of a poster. I for one appreciate all the work that Togetherwecare put in to try to bring this event to the Villages and all the time it took to write two intelligent posts.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.