Mask wearing to continue for me.

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2021, 03:12 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,089 Times in 297 Posts

If you have a compromised immune system, any vaccine can fail. By definition, you need a functional immune system to generate an immune response from any vaccine. People being treated for cancer usually have a impaired immune system from the treatment itself.

Yes, there have been "breakthrough" cases. And they fall into one of two categories:

1) They caught a cold and were forced for some reason to take that stupid 5 minute "rapid" test with the 50% failure rate that simply identifies ANY coronavirus as COVID-19.

2) They had a serious disease and an inhibited immune system, that prevented the vaccine from working.

My god, if you're under treatment for cancer, stay home! Your doctor must have warned you to not only wear a mask, but to stay home to prevent exposure to ANY infectious disease. If your immune system is compromised enough that a vaccine might not work, any minor infection could become a major medical emergency!

Yes, in your case, you need to wear a mask, regardless of whether you've received the vaccine or not, but that's got almost nothing to do with the Covid epidemic.

Last edited by Blueblaze; 06-15-2021 at 03:14 PM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 06-15-2021, 03:57 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 384 Posts

All I know is if I see people wearing masks now, I walk as far away from them as possible. They must be diseased.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Old news. It's no secret that masks were generally useless to protect an individual. They do a great deal to protect others from an infected person by limiting the spread of respiratory droplets.
GE......how many time does this have to be said for people to begin to understand the concept of "source control"? I gave that up on this site some time ago.

Also......anyone who really needs protection should be wearing only an N95 Mask. Don't you agree?
Old 06-15-2021, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clekr View Post
You don't need protection from droplets. You're seeking protection from the virus. For which they are deemed "useless" by the "expert".
Now, THAT is an oxymoron if I ever heard one. LOL.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
GE......how many time does this have to be said for people to begin to understand the concept of "source control"? I gave that up on this site some time ago.

Also......anyone who really needs protection should be wearing only an N95 Mask. Don't you agree?
Yep
Old 06-15-2021, 06:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Now, THAT is an oxymoron if I ever heard one. LOL.
I can't speak to this person's meaning. That said, aerosols and droplets are two different methods of transmission. It's a spectrum really, you go from large droplets down to super tiny aerosols and both can have a viral load. It has been known for quite some time that transmission is occurring from both of these methods.

Cloth masks, blue surgical masks and the like have essentially zero protection from aerosols. N95 does offer protection for the wearer.

As you said above, for source control paper/blue/cloth masks work pretty good for droplets. Against aerosols though, it's much less effective.

Most infections occurred in familial settings. The other bulk were at super spread events _INDOORS_, like weddings and big parties. Outdoors, the viral inoculum is diluted rapidly. New Year's Eve Times Square might be an issue, but even at their busiest, places like the squares were never packed enough to be a problem.

I'm of the opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it, if you or anyone is symptomatic(coughing sneezing, etc.), stay home or wear a good mask. If you are immunocompromised, wear an N95. Everyone else, get on with life maskless, specially those vaccinated.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:42 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

In the last two days I have seen both my GP and my Ophthalmologist. Although the clerical and medical staffs wore masks in the hallways, their work areas and waiting rooms once I was in an examination room the physicians and I took our masks off as we had been vaccinated and felt free to do so.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-15-2021, 08:38 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,295 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
According to the CDC, as of April 30th, out of 101 million fully vaccinated individuals, there were 10,262 breakthrough cases (=0.01%). Of these approx. 10% were hospitalized (1,026) and 2% died (205= .0002%). According to the CDC, "many" of the deaths were UNRELATED to COVID-19.

So, assuming your doctor has an average practice of 2000 patients and half of them were fully vaccinated (reasonable assumptions), he would have had 10/1000 contract COVID after vaccination (50 times the national rate) and 2/1000 die (0.2% or 1000 times the national rate). Something doesn't sound right at all.
The latest CDC number show percentages are now a little higher. 139 million fully vaccinated, 3,459 breakthrough hospitalizations with 603 deaths.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
The remaining eight need to find a new doctor.
Why would you say that. An oncologist does not treat a patient for COVID. He is an awesome doctor and has kept me alive for 8 years. Multiple Myeloma is an incurable cancer that I live with. Been on chemo for 8 years now.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
According to the CDC, as of April 30th, out of 101 million fully vaccinated individuals, there were 10,262 breakthrough cases (=0.01%). Of these approx. 10% were hospitalized (1,026) and 2% died (205= .0002%). According to the CDC, "many" of the deaths were UNRELATED to COVID-19.

So, assuming your doctor has an average practice of 2000 patients and half of them were fully vaccinated (reasonable assumptions), he would have had 10/1000 contract COVID after vaccination (50 times the national rate) and 2/1000 die (0.2% or 1000 times the national rate). Something doesn't sound right at all.
You should really shut your mouth when you don’t know but we all know you can’t. When you have cancer you put 100% trust into your doctor so when you get the call that an appointment has been set for your vaccine, you go. You don’t question it or anything. My guess is 100% of his patients got the shot. Also he might have been meaning his teams patients or the practices patients but 10 came down with COVID after being vaccinated and 2 of the 10 died. Now people that don’t believe and think Trump made it all up can’t understand all these people dying.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

My wife wears those at work and after about 2 hours or so she starts to get lightheaded. Not sure what happens to those wearing one for 8 hours.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
You should really shut your mouth when you don’t know but we all know you can’t. When you have cancer you put 100% trust into your doctor so when you get the call that an appointment has been set for your vaccine, you go. You don’t question it or anything. My guess is 100% of his patients got the shot. Also he might have been meaning his teams patients or the practices patients but 10 came down with COVID after being vaccinated and 2 of the 10 died. Now people that don’t believe and think Trump made it all up can’t understand all these people dying.
Let's make a few things VERY clear:

First, MM sucks, so you are doing great to be on this forum after 8 years. Congratulations and best of luck in the future. That being said-----

Second, when it comes to medicine, I most certainly know what I am talking about and therefore have no intention of "shutting my mouth". The Hippocratic Oath hanging on my wall states the obligation of physicians to teach others, which is why I attempt to set the record straight when I see posts that need correcting.

Third, I really wish you had carefully read post #12 before rushing to your keyboard, it goes a long way to explain why your oncologist experienced higher numbers than the population in general

Fourth, you are the exceptional patient if you put 100% in your doctor. Most patients these days come to their visit with some google search, or an article from Reader's Digest, or something their cousin's hairdresser's mailman said.

Fifth, I would doubt 100% of any population has been vaccinated, even one as highly motivated as those being actively treated for a hematologic malignancy. But even so, it doesn't change the original statistical argument by much.

Sixth, just out of curiosity, what does the former president have to do with this thread at all?

Seventh, once again, keep up the good work.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:51 AM
Default Masking is not to be ridiculed

Quote:
Was at the doctors today and he was telling me that 10 of his vaccinated patients got sick and 2 died. The vaccine is not mixing well with certain blood cancers, mine being one of them. So moving forward I was told to take all precautions as if I never had the vaccine. So status quo for me.
I am sorry for your illness. Do what makes you feel safe. The vaccine is NOT A CURE.. you can still get Covid but its less of a killer. No maskers and no vaxxers will learn one day, sadly someone has to care for them when they are sick, but they care not for others but themselves. A sad world and this Virus has shown folk in their true colors.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:56 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Was at the doctors today and he was telling me that 10 of his vaccinated patients got sick and 2 died. The vaccine is not mixing well with certain blood cancers, mine being one of them. So moving forward I was told to take all precautions as if I never had the vaccine. So status quo for me.
Did the other patients get sick because of getting the vaccine or did they get Covid and die because the vaccine was not effective for them?
Old 06-16-2021, 05:14 AM

I do not believe that any doctor would tell you how many of his/hers patients died, this would be on him/her and affect their business.
Closed Thread

Tags
vaccine, mask, moving, mine, cancers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.