masks in rec centers

Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2020, 11:28 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook
Default masks in rec centers

They just eliminated me from any activities when they changed from requiring you to wear a mask to "requesting" you wear one. I think I am free of virus, but I don't trust everyone else. Better safe than sorry if someone else does not care about you.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I just do not understand the hesitancy of responsible organization to enforce a KNOWN action to reduce potential infections.

By not enforcing they are abandoning the safety of the many for the sake of the few (whinners)....unless they are one also!!!!!
Old 05-28-2020, 11:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Wonder why they did this
Old 05-28-2020, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov View Post
Wonder why they did this
Maybe because they shy well away from insisting that anyone does anything. Like saving chairs...And petting Buffalo. They tried very hard like double fencing those buffalo. People kept lifting their grandkids over the fence until one got hurt and now the buffalo are gone...……. They conveniently decided to redo the squares when the pandemic descended. I rather like they treat us like grown ups....

Also. A CDD probably can't enforce things that are just directions from the State Government level.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
They just eliminated me from any activities when they changed from requiring you to wear a mask to "requesting" you wear one. I think I am free of virus, but I don't trust everyone else. Better safe than sorry if someone else does not care about you.
I agree, masks should, for the time being, be REQUIRED for INDOOR rec center activities. But to be clear, "they" did not eliminate you from activities, you eliminated yourself. And that may be a wise choice, only you can decide. Personally, I don't understand the objections to indoor masks. They're easy, help reduce the spread of the virus, and are a courtesy to those who are being extra careful. But more and more retail stores have dropped the mask requirement, some request them, others have no sign out at all. Hopefully this does not result in a "second wave"
Old 05-28-2020, 12:34 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

What astonishes me is there have been only 37 deaths in the tricounty area. As I interpret that most folks are behaving prudently.

Many LEO departments around the country are refusing to become "mask police" in spite of orders from the governors of their states. Coronavirus in California: Orange County Sheriff says his department won'''t enforce mask order | Fox News

As for me, in public venues I wear a mask indoors but rarely outdoors.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-28-2020 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

It was always recommended, along with gloves. Highly recommended it you’re within 6 feet of someone that you don’t live with. Not supposed to get closer than 6 feet To the employee when signing in, they have lines on the floor and sideway entry.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
It was always recommended, along with gloves. Highly recommended it you’re within 6 feet of someone that you don’t live with. Not supposed to get closer than 6 feet To the employee when signing in, they have lines on the floor and sideway entry.
Gloves are pretty silly really. If you're using gloves, you'll still touch your face - with the gloved hand. You'll still pick up things - with the gloved hand. You'll still wipe your nose with the back of your gloved hand, and reach for your tissue that you use to sneeze with - with your gloved hand. It doesn't protect anyone from anything, UNLESS you're using those gloves to dip rags in sanitizer to clean shopping carts. I'd have to guess that hands with THOSE gloves - are the most sanitary hands in the country right now.

I never worry at work about what my hands are touching - for that exact reason. They're usually either submerged or covered with industrial strength surface sanitizer.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:34 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

I do not wear gloves but do wash my hands frequently and thoroughly. Today I pumped gas and visited an ATM. Just used a baggy over my right hand.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-28-2020 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:59 AM

Understand. If you feel this way, you have the right to stay away. I see both sides of this topic.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:04 AM
Thanked 1,306 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
Masks are virtually useless. If you’ve been reading what many doctors and epidemiologist say, their value is mostly just psychological. Anyone that is still paranoid about Covid which now has a mortality rate no worse than the flu, should probably just stay home and quit expecting everyone else to share in their paranoia.I respect The Villages’s decision to not force those of us that do not believe in masks to have to wear them. I think this is still America!
Old 05-29-2020, 05:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbone1 View Post
Masks are virtually useless. If you’ve been reading what many doctors and epidemiologist say, their value is mostly just psychological. Anyone that is still paranoid about Covid which now has a mortality rate no worse than the flu, should probably just stay home and quit expecting everyone else to share in their paranoia.I respect The Villages’s decision to not force those of us that do not believe in masks to have to wear them. I think this is still America!
Masks are virtually useless for protecting the wearer. Masks are very effective to slow the spread of disease. Just wondering where you get your information. Scratching my head on that one.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:21 AM

Totally agree that I will not be able to enter clubhouses now that masks are NOT required.
It is not too much to ask of our peers to please mask up when inside. Shame on the Villages for reversing the policy. ESP. When requiring masks at outside pools.

Last edited by NormaKW; 05-29-2020 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Typing
Old 05-29-2020, 05:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbone1 View Post
Anytime you'd like to cite a legitimate source for THAT statement is fine, we're all waiting.....
Old 05-29-2020, 05:45 AM

Time to crawl into your house and stay there, you will have plenty of time to research mask wearing on your own not what media stations tell you .. .. a mask is becoming a breathing issue for so many, you are outside breath the fresh air.. this is totally a political game.. do you wear a mask for flu and cold season ..
Closed Thread

Tags
wear, virus, trust, safe, free

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.