masks in rec centers

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2020, 01:02 PM
Gold member
Default Bad news for the anti-maskers

Buried in the fine print of the May 28 Rec News page 13 in two places): "Face masks will be required any time individuals are within 6 feet of each other." Page 5 says, after "REQUESTED" "(if closer than 6 ft mask required)."

Since closer than 6 feet will happen when checking in (unless the Rec Department stops registering ID's) and at many activities within a Rec Center, the anti-maskers will apparently have to suck it up and bring a mask when they go to Rec Centers. It should be interesting to see how that provision is enforced, given how little publicity it has gotten.

Last edited by Advogado; 06-01-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
Buried in the fine print of the May 28 Rec News (page 13 in two places): "Face masks will be required any time individuals are within 6 feet of each other."

Since that will happen when checking in (unless the Rec Department stops registering ID's) and at many activities within a Rec Center, the anti-maskers will have to suck it up and bring a mask when they go to Rec Centers. It should be interesting to see how that provision is enforced, given how little publicity it has gotten.
Yes, it does say REQUIRED rather than requested. Seems The Villages has vascilated between these two words and they are a world of difference apart. This week masks are REQUIRED if within 6 feet of another person. Fair enough. Just wish they would put this in BIG print so it is obvious.

Let's see how well this mandate will be enforced.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Yes, it does say REQUIRED rather than requested. Seems The Villages has vascilated between these two words and they are a world of difference apart. This week masks are REQUIRED if within 6 feet of another person. Fair enough. Just wish they would put this in BIG print so it is obvious.

Let's see how well this mandate will be enforced.
Absolutely. I was surprised to find the requirement buried on page 13. Enforcement is probably going to be a problem since the requirement is not generally known, but I was pleased to see the requirement. If enforced, it will save illnesses and lives and reduce the liability exposure of the amenity system.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Signage should be the key to relay the message that masks are REQUIRED but they surely don't need me to tell them that. I'm sure TPTB will come up with great signage at all the rec centers for all to see.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrothnj View Post
First, who wears masks for long periods of time? How long are you in Publix or Target or a takeout restaurant?
Second, if this is all about FREEDOM, i assume you feel its ok for smokers to dishonor No Smoking signs too? (and tons of other similar examples)
Between 4 and 8 hours a day, 2-4 days every week. That's only on the days that I'm at work (I work for Publix).

I also wear it when I go into stores - though today I forgot to bring my clean one with me to Walmart. I felt bad about that.

I don't wear it outside.

For me, it IS about freedom. Freedom to be at a reasonably reduced risk of death.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I just do not understand the hesitancy of responsible organization to enforce a KNOWN action to reduce potential infections.

By not enforcing they are abandoning the safety of the many for the sake of the few (whinners)....unless they are one also!!!!!
not known -- New England Journal of Medicine - May 21, 2020 Perspective on Universal Masking
We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic. DOI: 10.1056/NEJM p2006372
Old 06-03-2020, 11:50 AM
Gold member

[QUOTE=jet10s;1775488]not known -- New England Journal of Medicine - May 21, 2020 Perspective on Universal Masking

I read that article, and the reasoning is hard to follow. In any event, here is a quote from another article that appeared a week later in the same publication. So take your pick. I personally will go with the view of the CDD and virtually every other epidemiologist in the country.

"Ultimately, the rapid spread of Covid-19 across the United States and the globe, the clear evidence of SARS-CoV-2 transmission from asymptomatic persons, and the eventual need to relax current social distancing practices argue for broadened SARS-CoV-2 testing to include asymptomatic persons in prioritized settings. These factors also support the case for the general public to use face masks when in crowded outdoor or indoor spaces. This unprecedented pandemic calls for unprecedented measures to achieve its ultimate defeat."

You might take a look at this as well: Top journal retracts study claiming masks ineffective in preventing COVID-19 spread – Retraction Watch
Old 06-05-2020, 02:57 PM

The mask policy is not consistent. Optional wear in the Rec-Center, however, a mask must be worn when you check in @ the fitness center. After checking in the mask is optional. Finally, if in the event you need to do any business @ the district office a mask must be worn. Hard not to feel that some are considered more valuable than others.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookies View Post
The mask policy is not consistent. Optional wear in the Rec-Center, however, a mask must be worn when you check in @ the fitness center. After checking in the mask is optional. Finally, if in the event you need to do any business @ the district office a mask must be worn. Hard not to feel that some are considered more valuable than others.
What I've been doing, is putting the mask on at the door on the way in. If I notice that people are respecting each others' space, but not wearing the mask, I'll take mine off and enjoy breathing unimpeded by cloth again. If they are mostly wearing their masks, I'll keep mine on out of respect for the majority preference. If they aren't wearing masks, AND not respecting each others' space, I'll keep it on to provide myself with at least some amount of protection against their germs.

Of course if the sign outside says YOU MUST WEAR A MASK I'll wear one out of respect for the rules of the place I'm in, no matter what.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:25 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

If you are too close together and you forgot your mask just declare you are protesting. Some just aren't worried.
Closed Thread

Tags
wear, virus, trust, safe, free

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.