Mass Hysteria

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2020, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker View Post
As of March 6 the Center for Disease Control estimated that 20,000 Americans have died so far in this flu season.

About 40 people have died so far in the US from coronavirus, mostly elderly.

Has the media mentioned the 20,000 dead, to put this hysterical reaction into perspective?

Nope. Bad news sells newspapers, and the MSM is raking it in over this ridiculous "shut down the country" reaction to coronavirus. And the sheeple are buying it...

Pretty sad, isn't it?
Its true that influenza is for more prevalent but the mortality rate from Covid-19 is about 50 times times higher. You have to be more concerned un a senior citizens community because this disease is more virulent with senior citizens.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smith View Post
Its true that influenza is for more prevalent but the mortality rate from Covid-19 is about 50 times times higher. You have to be more concerned un a senior citizens community because this disease is more virulent with senior citizens.
Best estimate from the CDC is that "regular" flu has a mortality rate of 0.1% and Covid-19 0.7%, so 7x, NOT 50x. But even the CDC states that the 0.7% estimate might be high and the mortality rate could be as low as 3x the "regular" flu
Old 03-14-2020, 06:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Sky is falling ! Sky is falling !
Old 03-14-2020, 06:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
And your point is...…..?
Other than 7x 1.8 billion is not 7.8 billion
Actually, you made my point---this guy was predicting about as many deaths from Covid 19 as the Spanish flu---do we think that is reasonable??????
I know what 7 x 1.8 is. I also know what a Philadelphia lawyer is.

My point is why take this lightly. Let's get this straight immediately - I am not promoting hysteria in the least. But this sort of thing could (I said could) spread exponentially. Why not take precaution now. Some people are a lot more concerned about their investments than the health of mankind. Wonderful motivators fear and greed.

The Italian prime minister showed a graph of how quickly the cases multiplied Italy.He also overlaid other countries on that graph which have surprisingly similar curves at the early stages they are at. His point was do the isolationism before it overpowers the health care system. He said technology wise are probably able to save the lives of almost every case but it requires tools like ventilators. They are having to make some hard choices of who gets what treatment.

That's no different than here. You all complain about the tremendous waits at TV ER. Can you imagine the care you won't get if this is a true epidemic. Thus why not be a little conservative now rather than sighting some very low statistics and call this a made up conspiracy ?

And that is why I think 1918 to 2020 is apples and oranges.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I know what 7 x 1.8 is. I also know what a Philadelphia lawyer is.

My point is why take this lightly. Let's get this straight immediately - I am not promoting hysteria in the least. But this sort of thing could (I said could) spread exponentially. Why not take precaution now. Some people are a lot more concerned about their investments than the health of mankind. Wonderful motivators fear and greed.

The Italian prime minister showed a graph of how quickly the cases multiplied Italy.He also overlaid other countries on that graph which have surprisingly similar curves at the early stages they are at. His point was do the isolationism before it overpowers the health care system. He said technology wise are probably able to save the lives of almost every case but it requires tools like ventilators. They are having to make some hard choices of who gets what treatment.

That's no different than here. You all complain about the tremendous waits at TV ER. Can you imagine the care you won't get if this is a true epidemic. Thus why not be a little conservative now rather than sighting some very low statistics and call this a made up conspiracy ?

And that is why I think 1918 to 2020 is apples and oranges.
I don't really disagree with your posts (other than 1.8 x 7 =7.8)
I was responding to the Dr. Lawler's estimate of 485,000 deaths being conservative:

It is an idiotic estimate at this time, so I have to believe the NY Times either accidentally or deliberately misquoted him or took it out of context, the person who posted it was confused, or this guy is really the Village Idiot of the CDC----you pick

Last edited by golfing eagles; 03-14-2020 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:04 AM
Cool

Quote:
As of March 6 the Center for Disease Control estimated that 20,000 Americans have died so far in this flu season.

Has the media mentioned the 20,000 dead, to put this hysterical reaction into perspective?

Nope. Bad news sells newspapers, and the MSM is raking it in over this ridiculous "shut down the country" reaction to coronavirus. And the sheeple are buying it...

Pretty sad, isn't it?
And that says it all. Come on folks, be people, not sheeple
Old 03-14-2020, 07:36 AM

Thank you for a calm and reasonable answer!
Old 03-14-2020, 07:42 AM
theruizs

Quote:

Pretty sad, isn't it?
Apples to oranges. There have been tens of millions of flu infections compared to a few thousand so far with coronavirus. Flu has a fraction of a percent death rate, coronavirus is around 2% (40 out of 2100) in the US. The key is to keep it from spreading, and that’s the reason for all the precautions.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I find all the excuses for not taking this virus seriously, pathetic, and it would be funny except for the possible consequences to vulnerable folks. Some of us were born with no frontal lobes, I guess.
Where did anyone say that they were not taking it seriously? Just that panic and not listening to facts is even worse. How many times do you have to be told by doctors that wearing a mask is useless in preventing the disease especially if you by mask that are less than $15 apiece. People are going crazy with toilet paper hysteria. Buying out bottle water when it is a miracle of modern life what comes out of that funny looking thing attached to your sinks. The notion that this will be any where close to the influenza pandemic is ludicrous when you look at the advances in medicine and sanitation. There has been no notice of any plant closures for bread, TP, gas or any essential items, why are people going into a panic. Worry about having a plan to help friends and neighbors that may need your help because they are highly vulnerable. They may need groceries or meds brought to them. Get plans put together, stay calm and follow cleanliness guidelines that you should have all ready been following.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:17 AM

Exactly!!!!!
Old 03-14-2020, 08:18 AM
Default Some Actual Florida Data

I have plotted the actual cases identified in Florida as of 1:51 a.m. today on the attached Florida map. So far our immediate area remains clear.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Florida Department of Health 2019 Novel Coronavirus.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	83183  
Old 03-14-2020, 08:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkeowner View Post
I have plotted the actual cases identified in Florida as of 1:51 a.m. today on the attached Florida map. So far our immediate area remains clear.
Or not tested/reported
Old 03-14-2020, 08:50 AM

Wow. Virus death rate 10 to 20 times that of flue. Hits older people most. If hits villages could be hundreds of deaths.
Don't be so myopic
Old 03-14-2020, 09:07 AM
Default Please be cautious

Quote:

Pretty sad, isn't it?
Listen to Dr.Fauci. He is renowned in the medical community worldwide (I’m a retired RN from University of Pennsylvania).
He has no political agenda.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:20 AM
Veteran member
Default a few days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkeowner View Post
A few days ago it was 9 people and now it's 70. There were 2 dozen new cases overnight. This is exponential.
Several days ago someone on TOTV was joking about no problem with enough ventilators. Now officials say there are not enough ventilators in the US to handle a substantial outbreak. In Italy they are deciding who lives or dies because they do not have enough ventilators.
Closed Thread

Tags
died, 20, 000, reaction, coronavirus, newspapers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.