Mass Hysteria

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2020, 09:21 AM
Sage

On another note re: the hysteria etc. Our son lives near Madison, WI and gets up very early. He went to the local Woodman's to do their regular shopping at 4:30 a.m. (I said he gets up early). There was already a line into the parking lot and the store opens at 5:00. He had photos of the shelves. Hardly any produce, meat was empty or sparse, bread the same! He also showed the check-out lanes and they were all full with about 8 deep (or more). You'd think not only are we having a plague but also a 5-catagory hurricane. I get that one needs to be smart as well as have provisions but using common sense would be good. Think about it...you stock up for 2 weeks ahead and you use those items. On the very last day of those 2 weeks you need to go and re-plenish but you wake up with a 103* temp and body aches. What would your plan be then?? How much is enough?? Wonder if this thing goes for XX weeks or XX months? Then what?? I wish my parents were still alive to tell me what they did in 1918. Did the whole country shut down? Course back then people planted their own food items, canned it for later use etc. Life might have been harder but so much easier in that we didn't have the social media and "news" (which I tend to shut off) that continually feeds the hysteria.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
On another note re: the hysteria etc. Our son lives near Madison, WI and gets up very early. He went to the local Woodman's to do their regular shopping at 4:30 a.m. (I said he gets up early). There was already a line into the parking lot and the store opens at 5:00. He had photos of the shelves. Hardly any produce, meat was empty or sparse, bread the same! He also showed the check-out lanes and they were all full with about 8 deep (or more). You'd think not only are we having a plague but also a 5-catagory hurricane. I get that one needs to be smart as well as have provisions but using common sense would be good. Think about it...you stock up for 2 weeks ahead and you use those items. On the very last day of those 2 weeks you need to go and re-plenish but you wake up with a 103* temp and body aches. What would your plan be then?? How much is enough?? Wonder if this thing goes for XX weeks or XX months? Then what?? I wish my parents were still alive to tell me what they did in 1918. Did the whole country shut down? Course back then people planted their own food items, canned it for later use etc. Life might have been harder but so much easier in that we didn't have the social media and "news"...... that continually feeds the hysteria.
When was the last time anything was presented by the media that was positive.....like recovery rates....more stories about survivors.....highlight actions taken that had a good result???
There is as much of that going on but is apparently not terrifying or scary enough for today's biased/political agenda owners/producers.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:32 AM

It is only just begun and is more deadly than the flu.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:40 AM

I have said this all along . There was a doctor on TV yesterday that had the flu last year and has the virus now . He said that the virus is mild compared to the flu .
Old 03-14-2020, 10:28 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl99 View Post
I have said this all along . There was a doctor on TV yesterday that had the flu last year and has the virus now . He said that the virus is mild compared to the flu .
you do realize everyone is different, correct? there have been young people who contracted it who nearly died and older people that had milder cases. it depends on one's immune system and co-morbid illnesses.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joorn59 View Post
Listen to Dr.Fauci. He is renowned in the medical community worldwide. He has no political agenda.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:12 AM

What makes you an expert on this?
Old 03-14-2020, 11:17 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
When was the last time anything was presented by the media that was positive.....like recovery rates....more stories about survivors.....highlight actions taken that had a good result???
There is as much of that going on but is apparently not terrifying or scary enough for today's biased/political agenda owners/producers.

Media could do a lot of good by presenting survivor stats. There are so many more survivors than deaths.............present it and let adults process all the info.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:05 PM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

so after all this, it will be easier to reserve a tee time at all courses ? folks, if it isn't this, something else will get us - we're all going to die,,, its just timing that's upsetting
Old 03-14-2020, 12:07 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olyrain View Post
Thank you Velvet for your intelligent posting. My husband and I are preparing and hiding out, knowing T.V. is going to be the epicenter of this virus when it hits this densely packed population of old folks. The 2 hospitals are already on overload.
Are people not reading, are they brainwashed by Trump, or truly stupid? My biggest scare, is when these people panic and????
Many people are like sheep and easily herded; sometimes they are like bison and stampeded. In large part the mainstream media is responsible any panic. They are driven by the need to produce whatever "news" they can to make money. No news literally means no income for them.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-14-2020, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
When they close the bars I will know it is serious
or even the waffle houses
Old 03-14-2020, 12:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

What I am hearing is that people do not like others hoarding because it inconveniences them. They label any action they don’t like others doing as “panic” or “political”. It seems to me that our leaders started to take the virus really seriously after they had personal exposure. Is that what it takes for some of us?

Some people seem to think that saying, “You are panicking” is actually going to help anybody not to do whatever they have decided they need to do. When one is in survival mode, logic and statistics are not going to be persuaders. (Different parts of the brain.)

My guess is that people are “hoarding” in case we will be required to stay at homes as mandated in other places to contain the virus. I believe in suggesting alternatives and trying to calm fears by giving choices for worst case scenarios if possible.

I am very sorry about the economical impacts of this virus. I have a friend who lost over a million dollars on the stock market these couple of days. I know people who are desperate for work and they need special assistance at this time.

I do not have the answers and I am, for one, listening to your suggestions.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Seriously????

OK, "worst case scenarios":

The near Earth asteroid that will pass by in 2038 makes a direct hit and destroys the planet

Weaponized smallpox escapes from a level 4 containment lab and kills 3 billion worldwide

N. Korea has a falling out with Iran and start a nuclear exchange that ignites WWIII

Who is this Lawler clown anyway????
He thinks 480,000 deaths is conservative?
The Spanish flu in 1918-1919, the worst epidemic in the modern era, killed between 500,000 and 675,000 Americans. And that was during a world war with troops in trenches, no ICU's , no ventilators, no antibiotics and no antivirals.
Either he is the Village Idiot at the CDC, or perhaps he was talking worldwide deaths

BTW, I can't find Lawler or his prediction on the CDC website. This is apparently what the NY Times said he predicted, and we all know what that means.
i didnt realize people still read the NYT
Old 03-14-2020, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Has anyone checked shooters world's ammo stock?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-14-2020, 12:25 PM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
A friend of mine shared this, this morning! Read it and take a deep breath....
"I want everyone to take a big, deep, calming breath.

I’d like to give you all a true glimpse into American healthcare and how it works, for it seems that much of the population is a bit out of touch.

Firstly, It is shocking to me how many people are concerned with their health all of a sudden. While you’re freaking out about somebody infecting you with this horrible virus, maybe put your cigarettes away, or take your medication, or eat a vegetable for once.

Shocker: It is not standard procedure to test for COVID-19. There are a number of boxes that must be ticked first, before any healthcare professional in the state of Indiana will even consider it.

If you come into the ER, urgent care, or see your regular doctor and your symptoms are mild, you are going to be going home with instructions to rest, hydrate, and treat your symptoms with over the counter medication. We may test for the flu, because it is simple, cost-effective, and yields a result (we can offer you Tamiflu). There is not a simple, cost-effective test for COVID-19. There is also very little we can do with the information, if we get it. Knowing that one is positive for this novel coronavirus may help guide treatment in some ways (isolation, shared practice knowledge), but the test itself will mean next to nothing. We treat each patient differently, based on the symptoms or distress that each patient is experiencing.

Symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Unless you are in respiratory distress, don’t even try to go to an ER. You will be sent home after waiting miserably for hours, with a big bill for your trouble. This is one of the reasons healthcare professionals can’t stand panic and hysteria-it fills our offices and emergency departments with people who should be at home resting, instead.

Per the CDC, this virus is primarily spread by people who are symptomatic. In the majority of cases, you will not spread anything to anyone else unless you are ill yourself.
Actionable things:
-Take care of yourself: eat well, stay hydrated, take your medications/vitamins, and stop freaking out (it weakens your immune system)
-Wash your hands often and don’t share things or touch your face.
-Stay home if you are unwell. (Apparently, an abundance of TP helps with this 😂)
-Keep up with the Lysol and the Clorox (and read the labels, you’d be shocked how much time it takes to properly sanitize something!)

I am an immunocompromised ICU nurse. I am not worried or afraid. These things are all second nature to me. We have to help each other out a bit, here. Quit whining about restrictions, quit panicking to no end, and just keep doing what needs to be done. Think about others for a change, too. This whole major freak-out that’s happening across the world right now? Welcome to the daily life of a family with a special needs child, or a cancer patient, or an elderly person, etc. Have some compassion and just take a deep breath.

And for goodness’ sake, if they develop a vaccination for this, remember how you feel right now and GET IT!"
You are so very right, and don't forget to mention along with eating vegetables and not smoking, how about getting out of your golf cart and walking, or riding a bicycle for a change! And don't forget the 3 best doctors in the world, " sunshine, exercise and laughter!"
Closed Thread

Tags
died, 20, 000, reaction, coronavirus, newspapers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.