Mass Hysteria

Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2020, 11:34 PM

Climate change.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPerry View Post
This discussion is pointless, a consensus of “scientists” agree that we will all be dead in less that ten years from client change!!!!!
Climate change or not; many many Villagers will be dead in less than 10 years due to old age. BUT most of us prefer to not die by drowning because of Covid 19 in our lungs.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:49 PM
Platinum member

Today, I considered going for a beard trim. Decided against having the barber's hands near my mustache which lives really close to my nose. I have not trimmed my own facial hair for years, but here we go.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:56 PM
John41

Regard the TP shortage. When we were in grammar school we couldn’t get a new writing pad until we turned in the cardboard back.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:14 AM
Default Hoax....seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Media could do a lot of good by presenting survivor stats. There are so many more survivors than deaths.............present it and let adults process all the info.
So what’s an acceptable death rate to you? This is uncharted territory. The U.S. has tested virtually nobody (I’ll let you all come to your own conclusions as to why that is). Are any of you who are complaining over the perceived media hysteria doctors or infectious disease experts? Have you listened to any interviews by (non-political) experts? If not, then please take the time to listen to a Mr. Michael Osterholm. He IS an infectious disease expert. He’s served his country in the last five presidential administrations including this one. If you actually listen to what the experts have to say and then still believe this pandemic is a hoax...good luck to you. You’re probably going to need it.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:33 AM

I heard a WHO scientist say that approx 20% of the people who get the virus will wind up in a hospital in need of breathing assistance. Of those some proportion will die (worldmeters.info website currently shows that as being about 8%)

Of the 80% that don't end up in hospital, about half will get some sort of serious condition like scaring of the lung tissue or pneumonia - the other half will experience flu like symptoms. For the young that is not as big a deal, but they are still at risk. For the above 60 or with a pre-existing condition, that can still be fatal.

It's a numbers game, but due to how quickly this is spreading and how few hospital beds we have per person in this country, we are all at risk - much greater than that of the flu. That's why even the orange one has finally admitted we have a major problem.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarra View Post
I heard a WHO scientist say that approx 20% of the people who get the virus will wind up in a hospital in need of breathing assistance. Of those some proportion will die (worldmeters.info website currently shows that as being about 8%)

Of the 80% that don't end up in hospital, about half will get some sort of serious condition like scaring of the lung tissue or pneumonia - the other half will experience flu like symptoms. For the young that is not as big a deal, but they are still at risk. For the above 60 or with a pre-existing condition, that can still be fatal.

It's a numbers game, but due to how quickly this is spreading and how few hospital beds we have per person in this country, we are all at risk - much greater than that of the flu. That's why even the orange one has finally admitted we have a major problem.
I've spent some time checking reliable medical sources this morning and cannot find any hard data regarding percentage of hospitalizations or ventilatory support due to COVID-19. The national mortality rate from it is 1.9% according to the CDC as of this morning, but is likely less than 1/2 of that once more testing is available.

The estimate that 20% of those that contract coronavirus will end up in a hospital on a vent is outlandish. If 40 million Americans contract it (which is the average number for influenza each year) that would be 8 million ventilators, the US has between 100 and 200 thousand, many of them in use. More likely 2% will need hospitalization and 10% of those vent support, but even that would be 80,000 vents and overwhelming.

As far as 1/2 of 80% of outpatient victims having serious sequella, most posters on TOTV would call BS, but I'll simply call res ipsa loquitur, (the thing speaks for itself)
Old 03-17-2020, 05:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmjckp View Post
So what’s an acceptable death rate to you? This is uncharted territory. The U.S. has tested virtually nobody (I’ll let you all come to your own conclusions as to why that is). Are any of you who are complaining over the perceived media hysteria doctors or infectious disease experts? Have you listened to any interviews by (non-political) experts? If not, then please take the time to listen to a Mr. Michael Osterholm. He IS an infectious disease expert. He’s served his country in the last five presidential administrations including this one. If you actually listen to what the experts have to say and then still believe this pandemic is a hoax...good luck to you. You’re probably going to need it.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:49 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmjckp View Post
So what’s an acceptable death rate to you? .

What kind of a question is this??

My post was asking for positive news.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:54 AM
Veteran member

UK also signed a peace treaty with Hitler just before the war started.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Exactly how is stressing over what might happen, going to change anything in one's life? Just because we do not panic, and instead think pragmatically, does not mean we are being irresponsible. Take for instance, my personal situation. I have not had a flu shot in forty years, and I have not had the flu. I have not even had a cold in the last ten years. Some folks are like that, have a pretty good immune system. I have nothing against those that wish to take precautions, but I am concerned about those that stress over what might happen, and go over the hysterical edge. I have a relative that was in contact with a friend that tested positive for the virus and then had symptoms of a cold. Everyone around her panicked for no reason, or for an imagined reason. Remember when HIV was first publicized and everyone was afraid to shake hands or be near someone infected? I am not saying to ignore the threat, just be more reasonable in your response. I wonder how many seniors will pass away due to the stress of this medical threat, rather than the actual presence of the illness in their lives.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

One can’t even determine how many die in TV everyday due to the fact that not everyone uses Obits.

But If you add up just the Obits everyday for the month of March, in the Sun, TVs death rate from virus is zero. So far just old age death is ahead. So why worry about what may or may not effect you
Old 03-17-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I've spent some time checking reliable medical sources this morning and cannot find any hard data regarding percentage of hospitalizations or ventilatory support due to COVID-19. The national mortality rate from it is 1.9% according to the CDC as of this morning, but is likely less than 1/2 of that once more testing is available.

The estimate that 20% of those that contract coronavirus will end up in a hospital on a vent is outlandish. If 40 million Americans contract it (which is the average number for influenza each year) that would be 8 million ventilators, the US has between 100 and 200 thousand, many of them in use. More likely 2% will need hospitalization and 10% of those vent support, but even that would be 80,000 vents and overwhelming.

As far as 1/2 of 80% of outpatient victims having serious sequella, most posters on TOTV would call BS, but I'll simply call res ipsa loquitur, (the thing speaks for itself)

Listen to the WHO scientist by watching the CV-19 Town Hall that you can watch as a re-run on CNN. She is very credible and I would trust her vs hearsay or fake news from "the web". Her knowledge is based on direct knowledge from both China and S Korea. WHO has been calling out the severity of the problem from the beginning of the year, but unfortunately the orange one downplayed it and lost valuable time which ultimately is going to cost us a lot of American lives.

This is serious folks. Look at Coronavirus Update (Live): 188,386 Cases and 7,499 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer to see the current stats and how steep the # of deaths curve is. Sorry to report that TV is going to get hit hard.

Re the mortality rate, 8% death rate of the 20% that will be hospitalized is 1.6% if you do the math. But that is if you are lucky enough to find a hospital bed. Others will be risking dealing with pneumonia at home because we do not have enough hospital beds and the current administration is not doing enough (nothing actually) to deal with that problem. The corps of engineers should be building makeshift hospitals and our factories manufacturing ventilators, but instead the orange one scores his efforts a 10 out of 10 as he is pre-occupied with the Dow and how he looks.

People have died from CV-19 and they don't even know. More testing will show that we have far many more cases, and also many more deaths. The percentages should align with the worldwide stats and they are not good.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I've spent some time checking reliable medical sources this morning and cannot find any hard data regarding percentage of hospitalizations or ventilatory support due to COVID-19.
Here you go doc. Search results said it took .53 SECONDS to locate this data.

"Initial reports suggest that COVID-19 is associated with severe disease that requires intensive care in approximately 5% of proven infections."

Read that again and perhaps let that sink in. That's a LOT of ICU beds that we DON'T have!

Care for Critically Ill Patients With COVID-19 | Critical Care Medicine | JAMA | JAMA Network
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, bourbon in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!" -- Hunter S. Thompson
Old 03-17-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B767drvr View Post
Here you go doc. Search results said it took .53 SECONDS to locate this data.

"Initial reports suggest that COVID-19 is associated with severe disease that requires intensive care in approximately 5% of proven infections."

Read that again and perhaps let that sink in. That's a LOT of ICU beds that we DON'T have!

Care for Critically Ill Patients With COVID-19 | Critical Care Medicine | JAMA | JAMA Network

The paragraph that should grab everyones attention -

While mortality among all infected patients may be in the range of 0.5% to 4%,1 among patients who require hospitalization, mortality may be approximately 5% to 15%, and for those who become critically ill, there is currently a wide mortality range, from 22% to 62% in the early Hubei Province case series.2,4 The exact cause of death is unclear at this point, with progressive hypoxia and multiorgan dysfunction being the presumed causes.

Even if they flatten the curve, a lot of people are going to die.
Closed Thread

Tags
died, 20, 000, reaction, coronavirus, newspapers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.