Mass Hysteria

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2020, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

The serious issue is when the healthcare providers will be overwhelmed and then making triage life and death decisions. This is approximately 2-3 weeks away. There will be some news that will be horrifying as compared to business as usual prior to March.
Washington, California and New York City will be the leaders with the population size.

If you listen to epidemiologist, and examine the public data from around the world, in order to stop the spread, there may have to be a total shut down, which people have never seen before. If you have never been involved in a pandemic, does that mean that the steps wont be correct?

What you are reading is the behavioral bias called "Fundamental Attribution Error", the overemphasizing personal factors and under-estimating situational factors. Also called the "Black Swan" theory, which asks the question, "If all you have ever seen are white swans, do black swans exist" Yes, they do but they are very rare, so without worldwide education or information, you will tend to go with just your own very limited experience.

If you aren't doing your part, you aren't helping everyone else, because this is going to take a national effort of serious effort to get below the R1 rate of infection to stop the spread, and if we can do it sooner than later, the healthcare system's maximum capacity might not be overrun, and the death rate remain reasonable.

sportsguy
Old 03-14-2020, 01:06 PM

we can all go into the "ands, ifs, whens, buts, if onlys" but no one has the answer. if this thing started in China, guess what people, almost everything we touch is from China and take head to President Trump when he said he wanted to stop depending on China!!!!
Old 03-14-2020, 03:15 PM

Tom Hanks is NOT gonna die. He will order room service, eat filet steaks, drink Napa Cabernet, wipe his ____ with toilet paper and resume life in 14 days.

Oh, don't drive a car...………..You might be killed. Car wrecks kill people. Buy Toilet paper and refrain from driving until a car is made that prevents death.

Flu again in 2021, 2022...……..

Seriously, if you have COPD, 70 and in ill health, etc. then avoid contact until summer or get vaccine. Everyone else...….Driveway Party tomorrow at 5:00 PM
Old 03-14-2020, 03:24 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,607 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail33or View Post
Tom Hanks is NOT gonna die. He will order room service, eat filet steaks, drink Napa Cabernet, wipe his ____ with toilet paper and resume life in 14 days.

Oh, don't drive a car...………..You might be killed. Car wrecks kill people. Buy Toilet paper and refrain from driving until a car is made that prevents death.

Flu again in 2021, 2022...……..

Seriously, if you have COPD, 70 and in ill health, etc. then avoid contact until summer or get vaccine. Everyone else...….Driveway Party tomorrow at 5:00 PM
Since Tom and his wife are currently quarantined in Australia it is likely they are at present drinking Australian rather than Napa wines.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-14-2020, 03:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Most people will recover from this virus if they are infected.
There will however be a lot of grandchildren mourning the passing of their grandparents.
A whole lot!
I don't think there are many on here who do not realise how serious this virus is for older people.
Anyone not taking reasonable precautions is playing a very risky game against themselves and their neighbors.
Most of the so called 'negativity/denial' has been about the panic buying, misleading information, and press and news sensationalism of the whole thing.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:46 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 383 Posts

Three weeks from now the Chicken Littles will be wondering what to do with their 100 rolls of toilet paper, 5 gallons of milk, 20 pounds of potatos, etc.etc.

Never thought TV..with so many educated people, would fall for mass hysteria like this.

Just told my cats...they will be dinner in a month
Old 03-14-2020, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
The serious issue is when the healthcare providers will be overwhelmed and then making triage life and death decisions. This is approximately 2-3 weeks away. There will be some news that will be horrifying as compared to business as usual prior to March.
Washington, California and New York City will be the leaders with the population size.

If you listen to epidemiologist, and examine the public data from around the world, in order to stop the spread, there may have to be a total shut down, which people have never seen before. If you have never been involved in a pandemic, does that mean that the steps wont be correct?

What you are reading is the behavioral bias called "Fundamental Attribution Error", the overemphasizing personal factors and under-estimating situational factors. Also called the "Black Swan" theory, which asks the question, "If all you have ever seen are white swans, do black swans exist" Yes, they do but they are very rare, so without worldwide education or information, you will tend to go with just your own very limited experience.

If you aren't doing your part, you aren't helping everyone else, because this is going to take a national effort of serious effort to get below the R1 rate of infection to stop the spread, and if we can do it sooner than later, the healthcare system's maximum capacity might not be overrun, and the death rate remain reasonable.

sportsguy
Did your psychic tell you this or did you hatch it up all on your own????
Old 03-14-2020, 06:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker View Post
As of March 6 the Center for Disease Control estimated that 20,000 Americans have died so far in this flu season.

About 40 people have died so far in the US from coronavirus, mostly elderly.

Has the media mentioned the 20,000 dead, to put this hysterical reaction into perspective?

Nope. Bad news sells newspapers, and the MSM is raking it in over this ridiculous "shut down the country" reaction to coronavirus. And the sheeple are buying it...

Pretty sad, isn't it?
From confidence to quarantine: how coronavirus swept Italy | World news | The Guardian
Old 03-14-2020, 07:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,659 Times in 962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
With me, it’s Formula one. I was really looking forwards to it too!
The Masters...
Old 03-14-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker View Post
As of March 6 the Center for Disease Control estimated that 20,000 Americans have died so far in this flu season.

About 40 people have died so far in the US from coronavirus, mostly elderly.

Has the media mentioned the 20,000 dead, to put this hysterical reaction into perspective?

Nope. Bad news sells newspapers, and the MSM is raking it in over this ridiculous "shut down the country" reaction to coronavirus. And the sheeple are buying it...

Pretty sad, isn't it?

In America, on average . . . .

225 people die from Diabetes every day
325 people die from Alzheimer’s every day
400 people die from Stroke every day
465 people die from unintentional accidents every day
1640 people die from Cancer every day
1170 people die from Heart Disease every day, and
2100 people die from Abortion every day

Be sure to wash your hands!
Old 03-15-2020, 07:14 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Three weeks from now the Chicken Littles will be wondering what to do with their 100 rolls of toilet paper, 5 gallons of milk, 20 pounds of potatos, etc.etc.

Never thought TV..with so many educated people, would fall for mass hysteria like this.

Just told my cats...they will be dinner in a month
If we can hold off for a month toilet paper will be real cheap!
Old 03-15-2020, 08:56 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Did your psychic tell you this or did you hatch it up all on your own????
I respectfully ask you to refrain from making derogatory comments about the posters. Like the above or maligning a person who's doctorate isn't medicine, or who hit a wrong key and spell check used the wrong word.

If you'd like to offer a reasoned response to what is said, then do it. Your medical credentials certainly give you gravitas, but to denigrate others is simply mean IMHO.

Dr. Fauci (who I personally trust in this) said today that he's glad at what people are calling over reaction because that is what is needed to slow the spread.

Fauci uses a metaphor from one of the fastest-moving sports to describe his strategy on the outbreak. “You skate not to where the puck is, but to where the puck is going to be,” he told a House committee.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:01 AM
Gold member

Your the type that I will stay away from. It's just a hoax to you.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:16 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
Your the type that I will stay away from. It's just a hoax to you.
I don't know if you were referring to me, but I'm just the opposite. I do not believe it's a hoax. I don't think people are over reacting. On the contrary, I'm concerned by all the posts from those who think it's no big deal. I was just saying that we can at least be civil to each other during these discussions.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:20 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
I don't know if you were referring to me, but I'm just the opposite. I do not believe it's a hoax. I don't think people are over reacting. On the contrary, I'm concerned by all the posts from those who think it's no big deal. I was just saying that we can at least be civil to each other during these discussions.

There is a significant difference between Hysteria (over reacting) and No Big Deal. You have people in two buckets. Most people in TV are intelligent and are not in these two buckets.

Tags
died, 20, 000, reaction, coronavirus, newspapers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.