Massey contract - beware!

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2023, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicTrucker View Post
I too have moved on from Massey. What bothered me the most about their termite bond and annual maintenance was that they were only walking around the house without applying any product for $125 per year. The new home product is good for 5 years, and at that time I’ll have the company I’m currently hiring to control pest in and around the house plus the yard to take over with termite treatment.
We are often caught by the fine print. Termite control. We actually are subject to two different types of Termites the subterranean type that must be in contact with soil for nesting and another type that does not need ground contact. The second type, is the one where they bag the home to kill them. This is often not covered.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:59 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicTrucker View Post
I too have moved on from Massey. What bothered me the most about their termite bond and annual maintenance was that they were only walking around the house without applying any product for $125 per year. The new home product is good for 5 years, and at that time I’ll have the company I’m currently hiring to control pest in and around the house plus the yard to take over with termite treatment.
Typically termite treatment is not applied yearly.
EPA limits the amount of pesticide they can apply.
Usually, they have a 5-10 year treatment plan, and the yearly $125 "bond" pays for "insurance" that if you have termite damage they pay to fix it.
You agree to let them inspect your property yearly to keep the bond in effect.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalic View Post
Most of my neighbors have recently canceled their lawn services from Massey and replaced them with one of the alternative providers. Don't know if Massey have cut back on the potency of their treatments, but the green-up and bug eradication do not appear to have been working and their grass is looking in need of help.
Not defending Massey or any other company. We insist on fighting nature. A perfect lawn, one type of grass, weed and insect free is simply not natural. Insects naturally change so that insecticides no longer work. Also the EPA has outlawed the use of many effective insecticides. I do my own lawn chemistry. Truth, it is far less expensive. Truth in terms of lawn reviews, I am, most of the time, in the middle. Not the best or the worst.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:06 AM

I canceled Massey months ago and several neighbors have followed. The company is a mess. They can not find or keep qualified help.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:11 AM
Veteran member

We had problems with insects and scorpions inside the house, but a call to Massey and they were here and took care of the problem. Neighbors told us insects do come into the house if you disturb the soil next to your foundation or after very heavy rains.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
Typically termite treatment is not applied yearly.
EPA limits the amount of pesticide they can apply.
Usually, they have a 5-10 year treatment plan, and the yearly $125 "bond" pays for "insurance" that if you have termite damage they pay to fix it.
You agree to let them inspect your property yearly to keep the bond in effect.
There are more than one product being used in Florida. One is a bait system developed at the University of Florida. A company using that system will, SHOULD, inspect the baits every year and it is supposed to last 5 years. Our company sprays, injects into the ground insecticide every year. Better system? Surely both claim what they use is the better system. Days of old, now outlawed, the product was clorodane and it was claimed to last forever.
In the gone past people would spray clorodane on their lawn. Long time ago. I never did that but I think it would kill most everything, ants, ticks, cinch bugs.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I just started with Massey and already had to go searching for the Landscapers twice. Not gonna happen a third time. I don't have a contract on the Lawn Mowing part of the deal and never paid in advance as noted on my TOTV'S Graduation Certificate and how many people have gotten hammered over the years by doing so. Don't pay for NOTHING (ANYTHING) in advance.
Fortunately we have choices. Posted elsewhere I do my lawn chemistry and have been using hired people to mow. This is the first time in my life that I did not do it all myself.
Landscapers? As stated this is the first time in my life that I did not do it myself. Personal experience and the posts, this is another pain in the villages and I expect everywhere. Three strikes and their out, I think I agree. I many, many years ago, high school, I started and ran a lawn mowing and snow shoveling business. Lessons learned, many years ago. There is reasonable and there is unreasonable. Salesmanship-it is an art to explain why something is unreasonable. Aside, I am an easy customer. We pay on time. I've never called them back to correct something, I just take care of it myself. Three strikes and their out. We are on our third mowing guy. First was good, nicely told us he was quitting due to age. The first recommended a replacement truth a nice young guy who did a great job. We paid at the start of each month and one month he just disappeared. Next also a nice guy cut for a year or two not as good as #2 but.........
He to disappeared. So many I have lost count. Now in ten years we are on #4. Another nice guy, he is the worst yet in terms of quality. Hum, I lied. It is not three strikes and I am back to mowing. I'm up to number 4 in ten years. Perhaps, time for me to start mowing my own
Old 03-23-2023, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianne237 View Post
We had problems with insects and scorpions inside the house, but a call to Massey and they were here and took care of the problem. Neighbors told us insects do come into the house if you disturb the soil next to your foundation or after very heavy rains.
Scorpions? I think this is the first time I've heard of scorpions in the area. Something new to watch for now.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-23-2023, 09:39 AM

all of them just tell you all is well . i stoped the all and do my home. he sent me a bill and i sent him a bill dont take crap from them
Old 03-23-2023, 12:17 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 595 Posts

I have Massey pest control but every time I call them up and say there is a problem, they say it isn't covered - that includes lovebugs, midges, frogs, and snakes - except for ants. They do treat for ants.

I hadn't planned on renewing my contract but it looks like I have to cancel it.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
I have Massey pest control but every time I call them up and say there is a problem, they say it isn't covered - that includes lovebugs, midges, frogs, and snakes - except for ants. They do treat for ants. I hadn't planned on renewing my contract but it looks like I have to cancel it.
If you want to cancel I suggest you start the process now, before you forget and it's too late
Old 03-23-2023, 01:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Sadly this is common business practice. Apparently it is legal. We are all regularly offered free trial packages. The company, knows how many people will get hooked on their service and how many will simply forget to cancel.

We consumers need to learn how to win. It is easy to call, send an e-mail. Old school but it works. If a corporation you can easily find the name of the president. A registered return receipt letter to the president, by name, will get past the clerks.
You will have proof the letter was sent, even if they refuse to accept it. I'm not an attorney but from what I know do not be afraid. If, they refuse the letter you are actually in a stronger position. Legally the letter was delivered and they do not know what was in the letter. The issue will likely be sent to a bulk collection service pretending to be your friend-trying to help you. Tell them they need to find your registered return receipt letter even give them the number for the letter.
With Massey, an easy way to do it is to log on to their website and click on the "contact us" button. You can type in a message and they will immediately confirm your message with an email back to you. At least that is how it has worked for me every time I need to contact them.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
After many years of taking Massey Pest Prevention I decided not to renew but to do it myself - $250+ a year for "sweeping the eaves for possible wasp nests" seemed a little steep when I already have a broom and can walk round the house wielding it in five minutes.

I ignored their kind offer to save a massive 5% by paying early (new customers get a considerably bigger reduction) and assumed my contract with them had expired.

Imagine my surprise when I got an e-mail from the technician saying he had just "swept the eaves" and I owed $65. I immediately contacted Massey saying that I hadn't renewed my contract and they pointed to a line in the small print that: "the contract shall renew itself unless written notice is given thirty days prior to the anniversary of the Agreement".

Yes, I had signed that Agreement but I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast, let alone what small print had slipped past me many years ago, and I can't help but think that, in an elderly community, that clause is in there just so they can get one final bite of the cherry.

So if you want to cancel any Massey service, write to them in good time.
Massey should be ashamed of themselves for taking advantage of people. I would not pay that $65
Old 03-24-2023, 05:29 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

The Villages Florida the insect/rodent infestation is cured when the food source is eliminated… pet food , bird seed or a nearby trash receptacle will also bring them to your area . Good luck

Last edited by RICH1; 03-24-2023 at 05:36 AM.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
The Villages Florida the insect/rodent infestation is cured when the food source is eliminated… pet food , bird seed or a nearby trash receptacle will also bring them to your area . Good luck
And palm tree seeds!
Closed Thread

Tags
contract, massey, agreement, print, small

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.