Parking on the side streets during the day

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Default Parking on the side streets during the day

I know this has been discussed in the past and when I was down in TV last year I phoned various agencies and was told that it was alright to park on the side streets (courts, terrace etc) during the day.

The house I rented last year was right on the circle so couldn't have room to park in front of the house but parked on the straight part which happened to be in front of my neighbour's villa. He was very adamant that if there was room in the driveway that I could not park there and would get a citation. Everyone I called said that he was wrong and that it was certainly legal to park there during the day whether the driveway was vacant or not. There is always room for emergency vehicles to get through as long as people don't park on both sides of the street directly opposite on another.

Has anything changed or does anyone have a definitive answer? I was given the number of a lady who was in charge(don't remember who) and she indicated that there was not a problem last year.

thanks
doug
Old 11-26-2009, 05:41 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Park in the drive way. The villages streets are used by cars and golf carts. Everytime someone puts a car on the street, the carts have to slow, look around you for cars, they are to low to see through it, and if another car is coming, has to stop and wait. There have been many close calls and I sure a few accidents because someone is going around a car parked in the street.

Thats why we all have drive ways. Use them.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member

DON'T PARK IN FRONT OF SOMEONE'S HOUSE . You can park in front of your own house for special purposes (guests, maint. people, high ranking officials, Sarah Palin,) but even then ,not for overnight. Read the Regs. ITS IN THE BOOK....

fumar .........
Old 11-26-2009, 06:26 PM

What book ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Fumar View Post
DON'T PARK IN FRONT OF SOMEONE'S HOUSE . You can park in front of your own house for special purposes (guests, maint. people, high ranking officials, Sarah Palin,) but even then ,not for overnight. Read the Regs. ITS IN THE BOOK....

fumar .........
Old 11-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the great fumar View Post
don't park in front of someone's house . You can park in front of your own house for special purposes (guests, maint. People, high ranking officials, sarah palin,) but even then ,not for overnight. Read the regs. Its in the book....

Fumar .........
What page of what book?
Old 11-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Gold member

Personally, if my parked car in the street in front of my home slows down some golf carts then as far as I am concerned that's a good thing. Heaven forbid a golf cart has to wait behind a parked car for oncoming traffic or an auto driver wait for any oncoming traffic. I see it all the time..... everybody's in a hurry. " Some" golf cart operators seem to think they own the highways & byways and don't have to follow any rules of the road. Sometimes I think that the golf cart operator fails to think of their cart as an auto...to some, stop signs mean nothing, oncoming traffic means nothing, signals, both blinker as well as arm signal don't exist, the list goes on.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Location: formerly Logan, and Charleston, WV Currently The Village of Pennecamp
Cool

Why didn't you just park in your driveway?
Old 11-26-2009, 11:30 PM

The main reason we and all those who encouraged us and whom we encouraged to buy here (6 homes in less than a year among us) was the ability to safely ride our bicycles and tricycles.
Using our bikes and trikes instead of driving cars and carts is far lower impact for all-
quieter, less emission, and leaves more
room for those who choose and use the cars and carts.
Please keep this in mind when driving and parking- give is space and be nice- we're all taxpayers and motor vehicle owners too (we own 2 trucks, 7 cars, 3 Harleys and a 16 ton Bluebird ourselves, but choose to ride the bicycles in TV!)
it is a haven and we are
thankful for that
L&L
Old 11-27-2009, 01:04 AM

Here are the regulations regarding street parking.

http://districtgov.org/slcdd/deedrestrict.asp

Item #12
Parking: Vehicles are to be kept in owners’ garages or concrete driveways. When visiting The Villages facilities and commercial areas golf cart parking is available in designated areas

Overnight Parking Opportunities
http://districtgov.org/slcdd/overnight-parking.asp

(Revised 12/19/07) - Residents wishing to park their or a guest’s vehicle overnight at a recreation center may do so by requesting an overnight parking permit. Overnight parking permits are issued at the regional and village recreation centers. Permits can be issued for up to five (5) days. Overnight parking is not permitted at the neighborhood center and unfortunately we can not accommodate RVs. For further information and/or assistance please call La Hacienda Regional Recreation Center at 753-1716.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:13 AM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

I live in a CYV and if a driveway is full then guests can park in the overflow lots.
I think most CYV have these lots.
In the summer we park ours in one of our snowbird friends drive, but never park on the road. To me that is just rude.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:54 AM
Default I'll bet their is a regulation ......

I'll just bet there is a regulation on how many times you can flush in a given time period.

Jerry

Jerry Jackson (Summerhill)

Neat bumper sticker. Went like this: "It's God's job to judge terrorists. Our job is to arrange the meeting!"

Be a gentleman, remove your hat/cap when entering a building and dining out!
Old 11-30-2009, 08:13 AM
Founder

Imagine my confusion. The streets in the Villages are "PUBLIC" streets. Payed for by MY tax dollars. (Yours too) Under what rule of divinity does the Villages have the right to dictate who parks on public streets?

This is the exact issue that causes The Villages to NOT be a gated community. The streets are public, therefore you cannot restrict access to them.

Only a rule making body of a political subdivion (City, County, Town, Village) can make rules governing use of PUBLIC streets. (with the exception of freedom to congregate and speak and a few others).

If my daughter and son in law visit us, and they park on the street in front of my house (or my neighbors house) on a public street, what can The Villages do? They have no authority.

Even if YOU park on the public street, what on earth can they do to you?

Old 11-30-2009, 08:32 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

With CYV communities, parking on the streets is not allowed due to the fact that the streets in these areas are very narrow. That is why in the Cov for CYVs it states only parking in drive and garage.
We have had problems on & off with people parking in the dead end in front of our house. What is so bad is since the road ends in front of my drive, and the road being narrow, it makes it very difficult to get out with our car, and impossible when I have my truck. When I have my truck I have to actually back straight into the intersection to be able to get out.

Army Guy
Old 11-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Whether or not there is a rule for flushing and whether or not TV can ticket someone is not the issue here.

The rules or guidelines were created because we live in a densely populated area. They are an attempt to (IMO) quantify common sense and courtesty. I truly don't believe the developer gets off on creating rules.

The original poster wanted to park in the street in the daytime rather than the driveway. This made it easier for HIM to get other vehicles, including golf carts, out of the garage. By parking int he street he was in front of anther's home who may have wished to have her own car parked there or may have wished for no cars at all. It may have made her ingress/egress more difficult (as in the case with Army Guy that I have seen firsthand). As I2 says, the roads are narrow and the more obstacles cars, cyclists, and golf carts have to navigate the greater the chance for an accident.

Common sense and courtesy ask that you park in your driveway. Or, in the CYV areas that have them, there are overflow parking spaces for your use. (Remember CYVs are a 1 car plus GC garage).
Old 11-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Founder

Unfortunately "common sense" cannot guide society. It doesn't work. Common sense says that we shouldn't rob banks, but people do, so there are laws against it, and agencies to enforce those laws.

There are no laws against walking your dog on a leash, but common sense says that you shouldn't let your dog poop in somebody's yard. But people do it and there is nobody to enforce anything. Yet some people think it's okay.

What is common or sensible to one is never exactly the same to the next person. So, who decides??????????
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.