May have spotted the Snoop

May have spotted the Snoop

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I saw a lot of the little American flags stuck in the ground all over the place during Memorial Day week. I wanted SOOOOO badly to complain to everyone who did it, because every single house that had more than one of those flags stuck in the ground had parts of at least one of them touching the ground. Which is - against federal law.
It is not against the (Federal?) law to have an American flag touch the ground. Anyone can do whatever they want to and with the Flag that they want. I certainly believe in American Flag etiquette, and it ****es me off what some do, and i will defend their right to do so, but nothing you do with or to it is against the law.
Steve

Last edited by anothersteve; 09-08-2019 at 08:11 PM.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
It is not against the (Federal?) law to have an American flag touch the ground. Anyone can do whatever they want to and with the Flag that they want. I certainly believe in American Flag etiquette, and it ****es me off what some do, and i will defend their right to do so, but nothing you do with or to it is against the law.
Steve
You would be incorrect. It is against the law to display a flag that is touching the ground. It's also against the law to burn a flag, UNLESS it is in disrepair. And then, burning the flag is the lawful way to dispose of it.

4 U.S. Code SS 8 - Respect for flag | U.S. Code | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute

that is the actual federal law. No, the penalties are not enforced, but it is still federal law.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
You would be incorrect. It is against the law to display a flag that is touching the ground. It's also against the law to burn a flag, UNLESS it is in disrepair. And then, burning the flag is the lawful way to dispose of it.

4 U.S. Code SS 8 - Respect for flag | U.S. Code | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute

that is the actual federal law. No, the penalties are not enforced, but it is still federal law.
And I refer you to this:

In addition to the Flag Code, a separate provision contained in the Federal
Criminal Code established criminal penalties for certain treatment of the flag.6
Prior
to 1989, this provision provided criminal penalties for certain acts of desecration to
the flag. In response to the Supreme Court decision in Texas v. Johnson7
(which held
that anti-desecration statutes are unconstitutional if aimed at suppressing one type of
expression), Congress enacted the Flag Protection Act of 1989 to provide criminal
penalties for certain acts which violate the physical integrity of the flag.8
This law
imposed a fine and/or up to one year in prison for knowingly mutilating, defacing,
physically defiling, maintaining on the floor, or trampling upon any flag of the United
States. In 1990, however, the Supreme Court held that the Flag Protection Act was
unconstitutional as applied to a burning of the flag in a public protest.9

https://www.senate.gov/reference/res...df/RL30243.pdf

Steve
Old 09-08-2019, 08:35 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
And I refer you to this:

In addition to the Flag Code, a separate provision contained in the Federal
Criminal Code established criminal penalties for certain treatment of the flag.6
Prior
to 1989, this provision provided criminal penalties for certain acts of desecration to
the flag. In response to the Supreme Court decision in Texas v. Johnson7
(which held
that anti-desecration statutes are unconstitutional if aimed at suppressing one type of
expression), Congress enacted the Flag Protection Act of 1989 to provide criminal
penalties for certain acts which violate the physical integrity of the flag.8
This law
imposed a fine and/or up to one year in prison for knowingly mutilating, defacing,
physically defiling, maintaining on the floor, or trampling upon any flag of the United
States. In 1990, however, the Supreme Court held that the Flag Protection Act was
unconstitutional as applied to a burning of the flag in a public protest.9

https://www.senate.gov/reference/res...df/RL30243.pdf

Steve
So then you are agreeing with me. The Flag Code is intact, and the Flag Code states that it is unlawful to display a flag that is touching the ground. The "separate provision" - known as the Flag Protection Act, which defines penalties for violating the law and which is in addition to the existing, intact Flag Code - is unconstitutional. Interesting case, especially reading the last part of the last sentence - as applied to the burning of the flag in a public protest.

It's unlawful to do it, but the penalty created by the 1989 law was determined to be unconstitutional - without changing the law that made the act illegal in the first place.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:35 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
My camera has a ‘save’ option. I often take photos using an app call photomgrpro on my iphone. And it discards the picture if you do not save it. Why are people so skeptical about what someone posts?
The poster did not have a smartphone so there was no app to delete his videos.

I have that (excellent) app as well on my iPhone but mine doesn't delete anything from the camera roll unless you explicitly turn on "delete after importing" in the settings after *.heic conversion but then it saves the converted file unless you explicitly choose to delete it. It also backs up the original file to my Apple iCloud account.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:41 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post

I have that (excellent) app as well on my iPhone but mine doesn't delete anything from the camera roll unless you explicitly turn on "delete after importing" in the settings after *.heic conversion but then it saves the converted file unless you explicitly choose to delete it. It also backs up the original file to my Apple iCloud account.
the OP didn't mention videos, I don't think? I'm pretty sure that was another poster talking about video cameras engaging after some woman was romping around his property.

The OP was referring to a camera on his cell phone - there are cell phones that predate the smart phone - flip phones, that can take pictures of things. I don't know how the cameras work, but I'm wondering if maybe those are the types of cameras that require you to save, or not save. They have limited memory.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post

I take photos with the app and not go through Apple’s roll because of the iCloud. This app is password protected even if someone breaks into iPhone. Apple is hacked sometimes but it is not publicized. So app good for credit card etc info. I don’t import from camera roll, I use photomgrpro directly. Also much to Apple’s chagrin, we share all our cell phones in the family. Wanted a common Apple ID. No, they can’t do that, would sell fewer number of phones. And they want your personal stats on everything. Like Facebook for future mining.

In any case why would OP mention that he no longer has video? But to reassure who ever is concerned about it.

Last edited by Velvet; 09-08-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:22 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I take photos with the app and not go through Apple’s roll because of the iCloud. This app is password protected even if someone breaks into iPhone. Apple is hacked sometimes but it is not publicized. So app good for credit card etc info. I don’t import from camera roll, I use photomgrpro directly. Also much to Apple’s chagrin, we share all our cell phones in the family. Wanted a common Apple ID. No, they can’t do that, would sell fewer number of phones. And they want your personal stats on everything. Like Facebook for future mining.

In any case why would OP mention that he no longer has video? But to reassure who ever is concerned about it.

Off topic but I am curious. I've been using that app for years. How do you take photos WITH THE APP? I see no option for that as the app is only a photo MANAGER and EDITOR. I still have to use the camera app to take a photo. All my photos get saved to the camera roll. I can then move them to protected folders but not by default or automatically.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:28 PM
Veteran member

There is a little camera on the bottom right side when you go into your folder. You need to have folders first. You have; tools, import, sort camera, new. The camera takes either photo or video.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:05 PM
Veteran member

I guess I’m going to have to get a Facebook account. Maybe ‘Velvet’ is available.
Closed Thread

Tags
residences, spotted, doing-she, scavenger, hunt